Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Questionable Foods page 2

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    1. a handful now and again should be fine. just don't nomnom the whole bag in front of the tube tonight.

2. juice is not much better for you than soda. all the sugar, none of the fiber. i haven't drunk the stuff in many years.

3. eat real food.

4. ? never heard of it, but you shouldn't really need this kind of snack. if you want nuts, eat nuts. or whatever is in there not surrounded by sugar or grains.

5. one of the few foods i really miss. feh. it's been years since i had it and i am so much healthier without grains.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Jena is offline Senior Member
    I grab a red machine naked juice every now and then, but I definitely dont make it a habit. One bottle has 340 calories in it! And lots of sugar with 60 some grams. It's a decent source of micronutrients, but there are better ways to get them. If I go to the movies, I get popcorn. I only go to the movies maybe once per year so I'm not to worried about that. I believe you can make primal energy bars (I think I saw a recipe on here) so that might be a better alternative to the whatever bars you mentioned. In general as long as you are limiting your consumption of these things to your 20% I wouldn't worry too much.

stonefury is offline Junior Member
    For number 3, protein powder in almond milk, I'd also point out that there is some controversy about protein powder production and the effects of the processing on the integrity of the proteins and amino acids. I've seen some sources claiming there is no way to make protein isolate without creating harmful MSG-like byproducts, but protein concentrate may or may not be less compromised. Other sources claim there are some processing methods that are safe for protein isolates such as low temperature microfiltration. I haven't seen enough references to really decide who's right on the matter, but if you do choose to use protein powders, concentrate may be a better choice if it is of good quality (concentrate is usually derided as cheap or lower quality protein powder, because it's not pure protein, but it's also less aggressively processed) and pay attention to the production method (microfiltration may be better than ion exchange and spray-drying). Concentrate does also retain some lactose, which may be a problem for some.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I think everything is relative. None of those are akin to hoho's and BBQ chips. However, if weight loss is a goal, you may need to ditch some of those items and focus on whole foods.

I really wanted chocolate to work for me. It didn't. I tried everything. Can't have it if I want to lose fat. So... if you stall on weight loss, you might look at those foods as the culprits.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd cut the popcorn outright.

The rest, I agree with the others to not eat them daily and to consider them part of your 20%.

The only thing I might add is go very easy on the Naked juices. Eat the bulk of your calories, don't drink them. So if you do have one, drink it slowly and really savor it. And do it only very occasionally.

Lori519 is offline Junior Member
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the feedback!!

joelwlcx is offline Senior Member
    1: sure what the hey. Be sensible though.
    2: no. Eat real fruit.
    3: I see no problem. Nothing wrong with extra protein or almond milk.
    4: what the fuck are those?
    5: no Nuff said
    "All of God's creatures have a natural habitat... my dinner plate." -Me

jojohaligo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    5. Popcorn - make it from loose popcorn the old-fashioned way. Not some microwave, pre-salted, pre-fatted crap.
    ...or that comes in a bag coated with chemicals on the inside to keep the popcorn from sticking to the bag. I don't eat popcorn.
    Female, age 51, 5' 9"
    SW - 183 (Jan 22, 2012), CW - 159, GW - healthy.

Met my 2012 goals by losing 24 pounds.
    2013 goals are to get fit and strong!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12