Thread: Intense workout=scale up?? page

Evita is offline Senior Member

Intense workout=scale up??

Primal Fuel
    Did an intense sprint/ walk session [one minute running full speed 7.0 then walk one minute 3.9 for 25 mins] on the treadmill yesterday along with some free weights on the arms and abs. Woke up super sore today .. so i took a long walk today and drank lots of water. My scale says Ive gained about 6 pounds! Practically over night.
    Im a very active person in general and work out on a regular basis. I have been loosing pounds progressively over the last two weeks. My diet has not changed..

Could this be some kind of glycogen water storing thing? Fluke? workout too often or too hard?

MichaelA is offline Senior Member
    Glycogen holds about 4lb of water. Sounds like right...

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Well what are you comparing your weight to? As in do you usually weigh yourself at that exact time of the day with the same amount of food and water in you? And on top of that, scale weight is a horrible indicator of what's actually going on. Go by clothes and visual cues...

The only scientific explanation besides the above would be too much work shocking the body and upping cortisol, which leads to water storage. But thats highly unlikely after one workout session... I think it's either an inaccurate scale or you aren't comparing it to an equally conditioned scale weight.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    And if anything it's water.. you can't realistically gain 6 pounds of fat overnight so don't worry yourself

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Evita is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks EGY & Michael! Good points.
    Ill just chill out and keep at it.