Thread: Ingredient requisition page

TheTeddy is offline Member

Ingredient requisition

Shop Now
    Dies anyone have any advice on whe I can find canned coconut milk? A chocolate mousse recipe on MDA calls for 3 13.5oz cans of coconut milk, and I'm looking for a relatively cheap buy.

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    In California, you have Whole Foods, Trader Joe's, and (I think) Market of Choice. I don't know if Von's, Safeway, etc. have followed suit. And anywhere on the planet, there's Amazon.

CocoaNut is offline Member
    Personally, I make my own. I just take some shredded coconut in a blender with hot water in a 1:2 volumetric ratio and blend.

This video describes the process.

Instead of "revving it up," I just build the speed from the lowest setting to higher settings. I also use cheesecloth so I can use my hands to squeeze the coconut goodness out of the coconut.

But you're looking for a source, and even aside from that, you'd probably want to check and see the ratio of cream to water in canned coconut milk vs. homemade at different ratios (you don't want to end up with half the cream you need). My old standby for things like that is Amazon.com, Trader Joe's, or Whole Foods. In this case, however, the Amazon.com listings show poor reviews from people expecting a product that would separate (or else there's some supplier in Sri Lanka that is not producing coconut milk of any quality whatsoever) and the other two tend to be too expensive. As near as I can tell, a local Asian food market would probably be your best bet.
    See my progress at Cocoa's Corner.

Or check out my journal thread here.

If I accidently make you a brony or convert you to Taoism, well... you shouldn't have talked to me if you didn't want that to happen.

steve.mull is offline Member
    Should be available in almost any grocery store. Check the ethnic/asian food section

TheTeddy is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I found some nice thick coconut cream at trader joes and the mousse came out epically.