Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can someone address the saturated fat issue again page

straxville is offline Member

Can someone address the saturated fat issue again

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I say again because I'm assuming it has been addressed.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/wp-co...d-Sat-Fats.mp3

I'm refering to this clip, Cordain references an obscure paper that shows EXTENSIVE endothelial damage in a mummy of a frozen Inuit.

Now heres a person who is well adapted to a high saturated fat diet, and is eating as clean of animals as you can get. I think that it's important that they are somewhat adapted to that diet, because I think it would be even more problematic for someone who is not. In the same way that you would not expect a Pima Indian to function optimally on a mostly fruit diet.

I would also like to deflect any comments about alternative hypothesis(aside from diet) as to the coronary plaque, as the Kitivans have shown us that conventional risk factors for heart disease(smoking) do not necessarily contribute to it when the diet is in order. I am aware that they did consume some saturated fat in terms of coconut but it was not the dominant macronutrient.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by straxville View Post
    I say again because I'm assuming it has been addressed.

http://www.meandmydiabetes.com/wp-co...d-Sat-Fats.mp3

I'm refering to this clip, Cordain references an obscure paper that shows EXTENSIVE endothelial damage in a mummy of a frozen Inuit.

Now heres a person who is well adapted to a high saturated fat diet, and is eating as clean of animals as you can get. I think that it's important that they are somewhat adapted to that diet, because I think it would be even more problematic for someone who is not. In the same way that you would not expect a Pima Indian to function optimally on a mostly fruit diet.

I would also like to deflect any comments about alternative hypothesis(aside from diet) as to the coronary plaque, as the Kitivans have shown us that conventional risk factors for heart disease(smoking) do not necessarily contribute to it when the diet is in order. I am aware that they did consume some saturated fat in terms of coconut but it was not the dominant macronutrient.
    Do they know how old he was when he died? If he had endeolithal damage, but still lived to a healthy, happy, ripe old age before he croaked, that's evidence enough for me that the protective benefits of the fat outweighed the damages.

Just because there were some negatives (and there always is), it doesn't mean the positives won't outweigh them.

straxville is offline Member
    Drumroll having coronary plaque causes a lot of problems from erectile dysfunction to headaches galore. Now, in order for it to rupture and cause an MI you need several events to take place that did not happen. And one of the bodies was 30 years old and was severely osteoporotic. Listen to the clip
    Last edited by straxville; 10-12-2012 at 08:05 PM.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Tough to say when his 3 studies that are so obscure nobody else can look into the methodology

He is "on record saying ....risk factor of saturated fats in the paleo diet is low and not atherogenic" so thats his take away. Stearic acid he rates as fine... palmatic acid he's not sure about. There is not significant evidence one way or another.

Goes on to say "even though they may of had plaque build up they may NEVER have suffered an MI......" seems like a very important point.

"Plaque doesn't kill you, the rupture of the plaque does".....he doesn't believe this happened in the inuit because their diet was not pro-inflammatory. Elements in the western diet upregulate the enzymes that directly cause the rupture of the fibrous cap.

Those are some of the important points in my book.

Quote Originally Posted by straxville View Post
    Drumroll having coronary plaque causes a lot of problems from erectile dysfunction to headaches galore.
    Is this not just an extrapolation of your assumptions about plaque? I didn't hear anything in the discussion to this regard. Whose to say that without the inflammatory markers you may not experience such symptoms?

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Is this not just an extrapolation of your assumptions about plaque? I didn't hear anything in the discussion to this regard. Whose to say that without the inflammatory markers you may not experience such symptoms?
    Exactly what I was just about to point out...

Timthetaco Guest
    Loren Cordain – Caution: Saturated Fats – Disaster with Grains | Me and My Diabetes

I was just reading that the other day. I'm not going to offer up any counterpoints because I don't have any. Not sure if my link adds anything to the discussion. Oh well.

Oh, I just posted the transcript. Well, there it is for people who prefer reading to listening.

Doesn't jive with all the other data out there on saturated fats and I think Cordain has sort of painted himself into this corner of having to defend a slightly lower fat type of paleo. Or maybe he hasn't and this is just his reading of the data. Either way I've seen enough evidence outside of this single report on a couple obscure autopsies to be certain that I'm not concerned.

Observational, but still interesting in context of the discussion Dietary fats, carbohydrate, and progression o... [Am J Clin Nutr. 2004] - PubMed - NCBI

peril is offline Senior Member
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast