Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Can someone address the saturated fat issue again page 4

straxville is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    "the finding of atherosclerosis in both groups suggests that diet alone may not be a critical factor."
    He was just a simple pathologist trying to formulate a conclusion to his findings. It is our job, as people with computers to tell if there was something in the diet, of both the diets of egyptians and innuits that may have contributed. I don't even know what the diet was like of dynastic Egypt so that is the next step, isn't it?

I think these kinds of data are a lot more meaningful than finding increased IGF-1 or increased AGE's, or decreased levels of antioxidants or some other isolated factor of health. Coronary artery plaque is a comprehensive deleterious result of an obviously non optimal factor in their life.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by straxville View Post
    ATHEROSCLEROSIS IN THE MASAI

Masai have the same problem
    Intimal (ie arterial wall) thickness has increased but "The Masai vessels enlarge with age to more than compensate for this disease". Thus there is no risk of heart attack or stroke. Their diet wasn't harming them.

No studies have proven saturated fat to be a risk factor. Huge servings of red meat along with saturated fat have been shown in one of Krauss' trials to be a risk but you have to ask if that was the abnormally high muscle meat intake
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Intimal (ie arterial wall) thickness has increased but "The Masai vessels enlarge with age to more than compensate for this disease". Thus there is no risk of heart attack or stroke. Their diet wasn't harming them.

No studies have proven saturated fat to be a risk factor. Huge servings of red meat along with saturated fat have been shown in one of Krauss' trials to be a risk but you have to ask if that was the abnormally high muscle meat intake

Yes I understand. I'm not arguing that saturated fat is going to kill you with a MI, im arguing that it causes gunk to get built up in your vessels, and thats not optimal.

An alternate theory that no one has touched on is that a low-level VIT C deficiency might be the culprit, Linus Pauling postulated this some years ago.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    If a low-grade vitamin C deficiency might be the cause, then I think I'm ok. I eat VLC but manage to get at LEAST my recommended dosage of vitamin C daily.

If I have any issues with endiolithal damage and/or build-up I'll consider that theory busted.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    If a low-grade vitamin C deficiency might be the cause, then I think I'm ok. I eat VLC but manage to get at LEAST my recommended dosage of vitamin C daily.

If I have any issues with endiolithal damage and/or build-up I'll consider that theory busted.

You smile and joke now but I feel that this is still a serious issue that I want to get to the bottom of. I will look for some more studies later when I get home, I found some papers showing that Okinawans in the 90's had this problem, as well as egyptian mummy's. I'll try and figure out what their diet was like later.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Good luck on the studies. The thing you need to remember is that having arterial plaque doesn't mean you die from it. It doesn't mean those mummies died from it, either.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234