Thread: LDL increase on primal? page

destructalux is offline Senior Member

LDL increase on primal?

Primal Fuel
    Is it common to get an increase in LDL on primal diet

My LDL went up from 3.2 to 3.4 over 6 months

Trigs were 0.4 (low?) and HDL 1.6 (high?)

at first I thought it might have been all the bacon an eggs and butter and red meats I had added to my diet.

I dropped 16kg since going primal, but I was really hoping to lower my cholesterol down also.

Could this incfease have been affected by a lapse in good eating habits a week prior to gettin test?

ATTAACK is offline Member
    It is common for it to increase. The thing that is important is the ratio of LDL to HDL. Also the size of the LDL is a huge factor. An increase in HDL is considered good.

I'm just starting to get a grip on this stuff; there are many on here who know quite a bit more than I do. There is a really great thread on PB about cholesterol that gets posted from time to time; I think its author is "Griff".

peril is offline Senior Member
    Very common for it to increase. With your trigs and HDL, you almost certainly have pattern A LDL, so nothing about which to worry. Ignore the standard advice here to get a VAP or NMR test as they aren't available in Oz. Rather, you can get an Apolipoprotein B100 (ApoB100) test, which is equivalent to LDL particle count. The lower the score the better. Thinking of getting one myself, but it means finding a new GP (old one retired) and that's just too much hard work
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    LDL would have been calculated. With trigs that low you need to calculate it with the Iranian equation which will make your numbers look much CW better. They look great but with a more accurate LDL they will look CW better.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    It is common for it to increase. The thing that is important is the ratio of LDL to HDL. Also the size of the LDL is a huge factor.
    I wish you and others would not present opinions as though they were scientifically proven facts. From everything I have read, the ratio of LDL to HDL is not a very good risk marker and the size of LDL is not important. The most you can say about LDL size is that we really don't know what role it plays. There was some earlier research that suggested large, fluffy LDL's were less harmful but that theory has been largely abandoned in favor of the gradient theory which tags LDL-P as the most accurate risk marker.

ATTAACK is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I wish you and others would not present opinions as though they were scientifically proven facts. From everything I have read, the ratio of LDL to HDL is not a very good risk marker and the size of LDL is not important. The most you can say about LDL size is that we really don't know what role it plays. There was some earlier research that suggested large, fluffy LDL's were less harmful but that theory has been largely abandoned in favor of the gradient theory which tags LDL-P as the most accurate risk marker.
    I never intimated that my statement was a scientifically proven fact. I am no expert and only report to the best of my knowledge. From what I have read, specifically Gary Taubes's work, the larger fluffy LDL are considered harmless. If you have different information then please post a reference.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Very common for it to increase. With your trigs and HDL, you almost certainly have pattern A LDL, so nothing about which to worry. Ignore the standard advice here to get a VAP or NMR test as they aren't available in Oz. Rather, you can get an Apolipoprotein B100 (ApoB100) test, which is equivalent to LDL particle count. The lower the score the better. Thinking of getting one myself, but it means finding a new GP (old one retired) and that's just too much hard work
    Seems to be the best current evidence from my understanding rather than the VAP or NMR.

Quote Originally Posted by ATTAACK View Post
    I never intimated that my statement was a scientifically proven fact. I am no expert and only report to the best of my knowledge. From what I have read, specifically Gary Taubes's work, the larger fluffy LDL are considered harmless. If you have different information then please post a reference.
    Check-out Peter Attia, Lara Dall and Thomas Dayspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Seems to be the best current evidence from my understanding rather than the VAP or NMR.
    Thomas Dayspring says VAP has not been standardized or validated so should not be used. ApoB is a good approximation for LDL-P as measured directly by NMR but I would not say it is equivalent.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by destructalux View Post
    Is it common to get an increase in LDL on primal diet

My LDL went up from 3.2 to 3.4 over 6 months

Trigs were 0.4 (low?) and HDL 1.6 (high?)

at first I thought it might have been all the bacon an eggs and butter and red meats I had added to my diet.

I dropped 16kg since going primal, but I was really hoping to lower my cholesterol down also.

Could this incfease have been affected by a lapse in good eating habits a week prior to gettin test?
    LDL Cholesterol Calculator
    Whole Health Source: LDL Calculator
    You will have to convert your numbers (including TC which you didn't provide) but following the Iranian calculator your LDL will most likely have gone down.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!