Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: My Beloved Applegate Hot Dogs Went Up 60%!! page 2

magnolia1973 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    They didn't have them at TJ's this am and bacon was up $2 a package.

meeshar is offline Senior Member
    They have a coupon for $1/off on their website, if that helps.
    About Us - Coupons - Applegate

Quote Originally Posted by wilberfan View Post
    Next week is my 2nd Paleo Anniversary, and my Applegate 100% Grass-Fed Hot Dogs have been faithful friends the whole time!

They were $4.99 when I started. Today I had to pay $7.99!!

Have they misplaced, like, 150,000 cows?! WTF, Applegate!

(Could this be drought related, or...??)

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blanchy View Post
    Also, it's just goddamn hotdogs. Can we please have a conversation about hotdogs without some libertarian spew?
    In 1906 you could buy a hot dog for three cents, or two hot dogs for five cents.

I guess they must have had really good weather back then.

Remember, when prices start to rise, you need to bury your head in the sand and pretend it's because of the weather. Only kooky people think that The Fed printing money and handing it out to bankers could actually make your money worth less.

Just go about your business, nothing to see here. Just the weather. Move along.
    Last edited by Grok; 10-13-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: spell cheque

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Oh, and the other reason, is I think the cows got their own union.
    At the Savemart here you can still buy bacon ends, and pork back fat really cheap. I can literally survive on $1 a day with pork back fat.

L8F
    L8F is offline Senior Member
    I pay $8.99 for the applegate grass fed ones all the time at our local supermarket! WFs has them for a bit less, and I bought about 10 packs when they went on sale for 599!!!!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Sad to say, old exhippie chick that I am, I believe the fix is in. It's about supply and demand, not about a fixed profit margin. If you don't buy a product that goes up 60% in one month, you can bet that a lot of others won't either. Manufacturers have to find a sweet spot for their pricing. IOW, if an X% increase in price increases revenue even though a few buyers stop buying, that stands. However, if an X% increase actually decreases revenue because the number of buyers decreases enough to decrease revenue, the manufacturer will almost have to lower prices to get back those customers because closing shop is expensive.

Remember the pink slime shit storm? The manufacturer of that stuff had to shut down (if I remember correctly) ~90% of his production facilities because even CW folks knew that cow assholes + ammonia wasn't good eats. I think the only customer who still proudly uses pink slime in their meat is (you guessed it) Malwart. Some others probably use it, but probably hide it.

As always, money talks. I gave up mushrooms for years when they illogically went from $1.99/lb to $2.99/lb in a couple of months. It's over a decade later and I use them again, but they're still about $2.99/lb, and I consider that reasonable in a decade. (I love mushrooms, by the way.)

Which is all a roundabout way of voicing my opinion that when it comes to consumer goods, don't let yourself fall so in love with a product that the maker of that product can screw you. That kind of loyalty should be reserved for family.

JWBooth is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    I noticed it with bacon a bunch of years ago. I mean I know I'm reeeeally old, but bacon used to be the shit meat you could buy for cheap. A few years ago it got expensive - prob'ly in reaction to "pork fat rules!"
    I've noticed Bacon took a price hike just over the past couple months. Used to be that $3.50 was the standard weekly "sale" price (the Supermarkets rotate which brand gets the sales price on a weekly basis). Past couple months the sale price has risen 50 cents to $4.00 per 16 oz bag. Between the drought, the government's insane ethanol policy, and high potential for serious inflation, things are only going to get worse too.

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the bacon my girlfriend gets went up. Used to be able to get 16oz for $6.99 now it's 12 oz for $6.99. Of course, she wanted to buy two of these (because there's only six slices in there...) and I had to talk her into getting a different type. Still cost me $12.00 but we got a pound and a half... :/ I think she's going to have to find something that's not applewood smoked bacon. (Or, y'know, get a job and pay for it herself...)
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Good lord, I'm a Libertarian and even I think it's the drought.

And honestly, Libertarian philiosophy says they should be able to charge whatever they hell they want, and then people buy whatever the hell they want. If they don't think that's a good price, they won't buy it and the price will go down or the supplier will go out of business and be replaced with another supplier that will have a lower price or fail the same way until someone figures out how much people will pay for hot dogs.

And it's just freaking hot dogs, not oxygen.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Zena is offline Junior Member
    One of our local stores was selling applewood natural bacon for 2.99 per pound for months until that article about the bacon shortage came out then they hiked it up to 5.99 and everyone united (small town) and we quit buying it for a few weeks and today it was on sale for 1.98 per pound so yes my freezer is full It is mostly supply and demand I think as I listen a lot to my dh and his work buddies talk (grocery business for 30 years)..

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast