Thread: Becoming Fat Adapted page

alg2435 is offline Senior Member

Becoming Fat Adapted

Primal Fuel
    My dearest fellow primalers,

I am on a mission to become fat adapted this week. I want to be able for my body to relearn true hunger signals, which I have messed up by becoming a frequent overeater the past few months. Therefore, I am doing a modified fat fast, which means I'll be adding in a little more protein and a few vegetables. Think it will work?

Today it all began with 4 slices of bacon, coconut oil mixed with macadamia nuts and cinnamon, and a bit of romaine with bacon dripping dressing. Later, I had a small bowl of chicken soup, half an avocado, more lettuce with evoo dressing, some pumpkin with coconut oil, and a brazil nut. I punched in the numbers on Cron-O-Meter, and here's my results: 1584 kcal with 84.6% lipids, 8.6% protein, and 6.8% carbs. I'm a bit annoyed, because most of those carbs came from cinnamon and fresh lime juice. Hello, I need some flavor too!

This is 584 kcals more than the regular fat fast. And still I'm hungry. I wonder how long this retraining will take?

(Edit: I stayed up late studying, and I had a snack of 1/2 a cucumber, some pumpkin, and chicken. It wasn't a whole lot, and still kept my macros fine, I think.)

Tomorrow, this is what I shall eat:
    Breakfast 3 slices of bacon, chicken with evoo in romaine
    During the day 2 ounces of macadamias ground in the food processor with 2 tbs coconut oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and celtic salt to make an AMAZING cookie.)
    Dinner a slice of smoked pork shoulder, a small bowl of cream of pumpkin soup; a salad made with baby romaine, avocado, rutabaga, and cucumber, with some sort of evoo based dressing. I also had some of the pork before dinner, as it was cooking. Also, a few pumpkin seeds. Then I had a little more of everything, since everyone was having ice cream and hot chocolate....

My calories are 1876, fat 77.2%, protein 16.7%, carbs 6.1%. Too many carbs!
    Last edited by alg2435; 10-14-2012 at 07:13 AM.
    Making adventure out of this thing called life

Today's macros: 77.2% fat, 13.2% protein, 9.6% carbs. I consider today a fail in this experiment. More calories than I need (2026), and 66.6 grams protein? That kicks me right out of ketosis!

Well, the weekend is over, and I can certainly be strict a lot easier. On the plan tomorrow: Lamb stock and coffee with coconut oil for breakfast, a snack of macadamia cinnamon balls at 12:30, then an early dinner (4:30?) of butter lettuce salad (with evoo dressing) and pork shoulder. That would be 1082 calories; 84% fat, 10% protein, and 6% carbs. Perfect!

EDIT: I came home and ate dinner - a few small pieces of pork, chicken and broccoli, lettuce with evoo dressing, and cocoa mixed with coconut oil, xylitol, and some vanilla. Totals for today: 1497 calories; 80.5% fat, 12.1% protein, and 7.4% carbs.

Making it a rule to not eat after 5 - but making an exception Monday and Tuesday nights, when I don't get home from community college 'till late.
    Last edited by alg2435; 10-15-2012 at 05:30 PM.

I felt awesome and was losing weight since eating mostly fat - and really didn't have to stuff myself to feel satiated.

Until yesterday and today. Major faileo with carbs and almonds and Breyers ice cream. I feel fat, tired, and have a headache. Back to ketosis! I never said this journal would report only perfection.

SuziW is offline Junior Member
    This sounds interesting alg2435 - I haven't come across this approach before. Is the plan to stick to less than 6% carbs? and keep the protein down a bit also? I'd like to know more as I'm not having any success with weight loss so far and it's really frustrating!

Yes indeed! For weight loss, its recommended to keep fat high, protein moderate, and carbs as low as possible. Many people have had lots of success with this...Paleobird, for example.

SuziW is offline Junior Member
    Ok - thanks. I'll have a look for her? thread. Cheers

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Back to it today! Raw cream, coffee, and egg yolks until my early dinner - brussel sprouts, garlic, and chicken, fried in coconut oil and thickened with macaroon coconut. Chocolate made with cocoa butter, cacao powder, egg yolk, xylitol, and vanilla for dessert!
    85.6% fat, with only 35.6 grams of protein (I'm thinking that its probably too little), and more carbs than desired: 39.8 grams. Feeling really good, though!