Thread: Sleeping on command and too much napping. page

sarasue624 is offline Senior Member

Sleeping on command and too much napping.

Primal Fuel
    Hello, I have a weird question.

My schedule is such right now that I have the luxury of taking a nap in the early afternoon. I often take advantage of nap time! However, if I just let myself sleep in the afternoon and wake up naturally I end up sleeping for 2-3 hours! I routinely get 7 hours of sleep at night. I also tend to wake up with a headache if I let myself do this.

I used to think that if I slept 3 hours in the afternoon then obviously I needed the catch-up, but now I'm not so sure. I can sleep on command at any time, so I don't really trust my body.

Thoughts? What are your experiences with napping?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Have you read this link on polyphasic sleep?

Sleep (or how to hack your brain) + Dustin Curtis

That's cool. I can siesta quite easily - but usually I'm spending more than 20 minutes napping. I usually get anywhere from 20 minutes - 3 hours of siesta.

The other options aren't practical for my schedule. Maybe I should set an alarm to wake myself up after 20 minutes?

KG
    KG is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel after you wake up every morning? Just wondering if 7 hours really IS enough, y'know?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I feel best at 8 hours. However, I'm not at all consistent in how I feel even after 8 hours. If I get 7 at night and then 1 more in the afternoon, I spend all day feeling quite good. But, again, my body doesn't sleep like that naturally - that's with the help of an alarm clock.

I guess what I'm really wondering is if I'm forcing my body to do something it doesn't really want to do by napping and then getting less sleep at night.

I'm also under a lot of stress right now and I definitely trend towards more napping when I have higher stress.