Thread: grease the groove plan... page

breetbree is offline Senior Member

grease the groove plan...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    for those of you not familiar with grease the groove, it's doing about 50-85% of your max reps with calisthenics or weight lifting, doing multiple sets per day, never going to failure. you're supposed to be able to do it 4-7 days every week you do it without getting fatigued. i'm going to test it monday, wednesday, and friday doing pull ups and chinups, and tuesday, thursday, and saturday doing push ups and maybe sunday i'll do legs/ abs?? has anyone tried that before? do you think it'll work with that many exercises??

Annlee is offline Senior Member
    Almost any program will work if you lay it (or have it laid out for you) and then stick to it. Failing at the latter is more common than the plan being no good.

Vick is offline Senior Member
    It improves stength doing that routine because of the mechanical repetition.
    It also can breakdown muscle mass because it puts your heart rate and metabolism in the "fat burning zone" which leads to a reduction of muscle mass.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    It could work but Paval recommends no more than 2 movements.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

all good points, but if anything i'll just stick to alternating days pull ups then push ups. and grease the groove puts you in the "fat burning zone"??

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vick View Post
    It improves stength doing that routine because of the mechanical repetition.
    It also can breakdown muscle mass because it puts your heart rate and metabolism in the "fat burning zone" which leads to a reduction of muscle mass.
    I am confused by this logic. Or lack of it. Aren't you in a "fat-burning zone" at rest? By that logic, we should strive to always keep our heart rate above the aerobic threshold (ie really high) if we want to retain muscle mass. Obviously that would be a really bad idea.

@breetbree: I think your plan should work. Please keep us informed as to your progress.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breetbree View Post
    all good points, but if anything i'll just stick to alternating days pull ups then push ups. and grease the groove puts you in the "fat burning zone"??
    How does it put you in the fat burning zone? It sounds like you are not so much Greasing the Grove but working out alternated days with a daily high rep low intensity workout. It should work for you I am sure.

Not that Paval has a patent on the term but you may want to call it something other the Grease the Groove to avoid confusion for other who might read this thread.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

i'll let you guys know in a while. my push up max was only around 50 i think, and chinups, about 5, pull ups about 2 hopefully i make a decent improvement in the next couple of weeks