Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kid Suspended from School After Mom Packs Kombucha in His Lunchbox page

Grok is offline Senior Member

Kid Suspended from School After Mom Packs Kombucha in His Lunchbox

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Ridiculous. What a headache for that kid and his family and what a waste of resources. Don't they have any real work to do at that school?

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    Kind of reminds me of how some police officers go into their job, thinking everyone is a criminal until proven otherwise.

"A TEEN with a GLASS BOTTLE filled with BROWN STUFF? Off with his head!"

Grok is offline Senior Member
    Or the double-standard between the unionized teachers and the victimized students.

City punishes teachers less than students for drug use | The Daily Caller

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Omg, it's CA - surely there's a lawyer to sue the school. There is approximately one lawyer per 1,000 residents in CA. I'd be ambulance chasing this case like a m-f-er. The pain, embarrassment, undue process (that's probably not the right terminology), the press. Damn, Grandma was right - the law could have been fun. Drat.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Ummm.

Please consider the source. The mom whose kid was involved contacted...the Healthy Home Economist about this? Really?

Child Suspended from School for Kombucha in Lunchbox

And really? Giving an elementary kid KOMBUCHA? To take to SCHOOL? If you think any school rep is going to be okay with even a SMALL amount of alcohol in a beverage, you're smoking something. And of course the kids are going to fixate on it, because alcohol is for adults and it's forbidden and forbidden things are COOL. Even if it's just a tiny amount.

Here's the school's statement:
    Newport Mesa Unified School District: News

I'm sure people over-reacted. They probably a) had never heard of kombucha and/or b) then found out it had alcohol in it (however minute) and freaked out and made some dumb decisions. But those decisions are now being reversed, as per the press release.

neowild is offline Member
    It wasn't that long ago GT's Raw Organic Kombucha was taken off the shelves at your local health food store for its alcohol content. When it finally came back, it came back in two versions--one alive and with alcohol and the other dead and without. It doesn't surprise me at all that the kid was suspended. Blame the kid's moronic parent, not the school.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    I simply blame the method of "zero tolerance" BS.

Here's the thing. If individuals just used discretion, this would be no big deal.

The school and principle should have the discretion to do things quietly. Ie, confiscate the beverage, call the parents, ask a few questions about kombacha, recommend that the parent not send it again, and move onward.

Simple, simple.

Instead, you call the police, have a child interrogated without his parents present, suspend him from school for several days, only to be made an ass of publically for over-reacting and over-reaching your authority and therefore have to reverse your position.

The whole thing is just stupid. If only administrators would use their brains, they wouldn't end up in these pickles.

onalark is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    Instead, you call the police, have a child interrogated without his parents present, suspend him from school for several days, only to be made an ass of publically for over-reacting and over-reaching your authority and therefore have to reverse your position.
    According to the press release, the police present were already on-campus. And if it was a slow day, chances are they got called in because they were an available resource for the principal. Either that, or there was a policy in place saying that this was required procedure.

The school is committing to change. Not saying mistakes weren't made, but speaking personally, anytime I got in trouble at school for doing something against policy (and bringing an alcoholic beverage to school was definitely against policy), no one called my parents. It was me and the principal or the vice principal. Was it really an interrogation? Or is this a case of a parent overreacting in the name of wanting to make them and their kids out to be victims?

Because if I'm reading the press release right, the school district realizes they overreacted and are working to correct that.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Police presence on campus makes little sense, and there would be no reason for them to intervene in this matter just because they were on campus.

If it was a required procedure, then that goes again to my issue with the policies and the lack of discretion on the part of the administrator (or, the lack of the ability to use his/her discretion).

From my own experience in school, I wouldn't speak to a principal or vice-principal without my parents present. I told them this from day 1 -- the first time it ever happened when I decided to defend myself physically against a bully who had been badgering me for months with no one stepping in (teachers, admin saw it happening). I told them to call my parents, and THEN we could have a chat.

I was 9.

I have told my son's school administrators the same. They are not to bring him into their office to 'talk' to him about anything -- negative or positive -- without my presence. The power assymettry and lack of fairness in that situation -- which I experienced throughout my schooling career -- is simply inappropriate, particularly when you have a child who isn't able to understand the broader context of his/her own choices and decisions, and will be guided by whatever the administrator thinks is correct, not what IS correct, and/or what is correct in that circumstance.

It is absolutely correct for a child to defend himself from bullying, and that includes bullying from administrators.

As such, my 4 yr old knows that if he's being called to the principal's office, he's to request that we be present any time a teacher or administrator needs to talk to him privately.

I don't play this bullshit school abuse stuff that everyone seems to happy to go along with. I didn't then. I'm not now.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast