Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Less carbs means you need less sleep? page

Goldensparrow is offline Senior Member

Less carbs means you need less sleep?

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone experienced this? I remember back before I became pregnant it seemed like the less carbs I ate the less sleep I needed.

I could really use a way to need less sleep right now with a newborn that wakes every 1-2hrs to feed....I'm trying to survive off of 4 hrs of sleep....it's not working. :/ I can't sleep well during the day cause by the time I get her down it seems like she wakes up again. I know this won't last forever, but I'm desperate to get to feeling better.

Right now I eat two starches a day, usually a banana and sweet potato. The rest is meat, eggs, veggies, 85% dark chocolate. Maybe I need to scrap the starches.

Thanks for the input!

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    Sorry... I have more energy during the day with less carbs, but I still definitely need 8-9 hours at night. I don't feel well on less than 6.

I understand the feeling though. Are you breastfeeding? The one thing that was a lifesaver for me when my son was a newborn was to learn to nurse laying down or in a recliner with him on a nursing pillow, so I could sleep a bit while feeding him. It's rough when you have a poor sleeper... my son spent his first 6 months or so sleeping in my arms, so I totally understand! If I hadn't been able to doze while holding him, I might not have survived it!

Hope you find something that helps!

jakey is offline Senior Member
    i don't think that any macro tweek is necessarily going to permit you to get away with less sleep. check out biphasic sleeping, as a hack?

Darz is offline Senior Member
    I actually began to have sleep disturbances while trying a low carb approach. It all subsided when I reintroduced them.

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    I functioned for a week on VLC (<50g Carbs) and very little sleep. I was in Ketosis and when I was woke up after say 4hrs, I was AWAKE, it almost felt like I was on speed. I am not sure if I was "all there" but definitely did not feel sleepy....I did feel a little wired/wierd though if I am being honest.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    My best suggestion is to sleep with baby, literally. I coslept with both my kids for the first 6 weeks, napped with them during the day as well. Baby will fall asleep more quickly and you will get more rest.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Personally, my sleep quality suffered tremendously on low carb.

Maybe you'd be a good candidate to try out polyphasic sleep. Seems like it could be the perfect thing for people who need to get by on less sleep. Here's an interesting link about it:

Sleep (or how to hack your brain) + Dustin Curtis

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Your feeding a screaming baby several times a night. Suck it up and be miserably happy with it like the rest of us parents .

Heatherly is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by teach2183 View Post
    My best suggestion is to sleep with baby, literally. I coslept with both my kids for the first 6 weeks, napped with them during the day as well. Baby will fall asleep more quickly and you will get more rest.
    Yep. This totally works. If not right in bed with you, then in a co-sleeper side carred to your bed. Learn to nurse lying down. I promise you, everyone will sleep better.

But like you said, this time will pass. You need to get in bed earlier and try to nap when baby is napping.

LauraSB is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Heatherly View Post
    Yep. This totally works. If not right in bed with you, then in a co-sleeper side carred to your bed. Learn to nurse lying down. I promise you, everyone will sleep better.

But like you said, this time will pass. You need to get in bed earlier and try to nap when baby is napping.
    Dozing whenever u can is definitely the way to go. I didn't really know what I was doing with my first, but I slept totally on baby schedule with the second. It seems crazy at first, but it feels so much better.
    50yo, 5'3"
    SW-195
    CW-125, part calorie counting, part transition to primal
    GW- Goals are no longer weight-related

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast