Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open

Thread: Primal diet and eating disorders?

Threaded View

Primal diet and eating disorders?

Does anybody have any advice on using the primal lifestyle and diet to treat eating disorders? The past few years I have been battling with depression and anxiety, I began seeing a therapist about 6 months ago to treat it. Through therapy, it has recently come to my attention that what I called being 'nutritionally aware' is actually a full blown eating disorder. I restrict, I binge, and I am addicted to calorie counting and label reading. When I eat foods that aren't organic or grass fed I feel anxiety because I am afraid I am going to get cancer from it. Based on that you would expect me to be thin, yet I am 5'10" and weight 220 pounds. I am disgusted with myself and that leads me to restrict my foods and then I have a hypoglycemic episode (I've had it since I was born) I get insane, literally I can not think or function and I get really emotional, once I realize I'm just hungry I binge on tons of food, they are mostly primal but it's still a binge. After that I feel even more ashamed and so a cycle begins again. When I was 21 I used to not eat on purpose, I like the way it feels to go to bed hungry. I didn't binge then and I got down to 160 lbs and looked and felt great. I gained that weight back in about 6 months once I started binging. I know this is wrong but I can't stop. When I read these message boards I get so jealous of people who are talking about how successful they have been and how it's so easy the weight is just falling off. I want to be like that. I know 80% of it is diet, but I can't seem to stick to it and it's making me feel hopeless. This post is kinda all over the place, I guess I'm just hoping someone has advice or has been in my same situation.
    Last edited by ar0e; 10-12-2012 at 03:46 PM.