Thread: My mom is on a low-fiber diet page

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member

My mom is on a low-fiber diet

Shop Now
    So, not so long ago my mom (who is severely physically disabled and has been ill for years. Like, 10 years. I'm not kidding) was admitted to the hospital with what we now know to be a blood infection. She got this infection because of bacteria leaking from her intestine that was stuck in her hernia. She's been waiting for her back surgery (her back is broken. Like, in half) and has avoided the hernia surgery because the back surgery has to go through her front and it makes sense to wait. Except now her doctors are thinking maybe its not a good idea because she almost died.
    After she was released from the hospital, her doctors put her on a low fiber diet to keep her stools small. Does this make sense? I guess it kind of does, because it minimizes risks of more bacteria leaking through the hernia but it also seems kinda painful. She's not supposed to eat green leafy vegetables, coconut, nuts in general, dairy in general..its a pretty exhaustive list.
    On top of all this, she's very weak. I brought her some fruit and she fell asleep before she was able to finish a plum. (She's in severe pain and is on narcotics to manage it but often doesn't sleep for days and passes out a lot)

Does anyone have any idea what sorts of things I could make to help her? My dad is living there (they're divorced) and claims to be able to cook but she's obviously not getting all the nutrition she needs.
    I am an excellent cook but keep getting headed off at the pass when it comes to making things.
    Can anyone give me any suggestions on what sorts of foods to cook for my mom?

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Peel and de-seed EVERYTHING.

Potatoes, yams, and white rice are low fiber and generally pretty digestible.

Avoid berries, but other fruits that can be peeled like apples and pears would be good.

Squashes like zucchini and spaghetti squash are good, as are cucumbers (again, peel and deseed them all), and bell peppers have little fiber.

I eat a low fiber diet to treat my IBS, and one trick that was a big help was to put fruits and veggies in a juicer and throw out the indigestible fiber part. All the minerals and vitamins will be in the juice.

Also, bone broths are good, and if she eats dairy, cultured milk products like kefir and yogurt would be good. You still want to make sure that she is eating things that are supporting good gut flora, so if she can't tolerate much fermented stuff, taking a probiotic would be a good idea.

The Asian section of your supermarket (or an asian grocery store) should have rice noodles that are made from white rice, very low fiber. You could put these noodles or some white rice in bone broth to make a soup, or you could make a pasta sauce for them (or to put over the spaghetti squash).
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-12-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Asmodeuskraemer is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Those are great suggestions, thank you!
    Her diet restrictions seemed very odd to me and kind of freaked me out. She does drink/eat bone broth. I will have to bring up the subject of peeling fruit. I think she has a juicer as well.

Thanks for your help!