Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: All-Potato Fat Busting Science page 3

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I agree with the premise. Just have to avoid potato skins personally due to lectin sensitivity ... however, I have to say that I find potatoes very very satiating.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    That really is fabulous info, thx!!

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    That's cool you read Hyperlipid. I think Peter knows his stuff about fats. I like his explantion in the links above about how FFA is dealt with in the presence and absence of insulin. Funny he was writing about potatoes last week.
    Last week...thought he posted that a long time ago??? Ah, nevermind you meant the second one. K

pklopp is offline Senior Member
    Just a few oobservations :

1) If you are hyperinsulinemic, do not do this. You must have a metabolism that is fundamentally healthy. If you are well on your way to metabolic syndrome, the all potato diet is a sure means to make a bad situation worse.

2) How can anyone characterize an all ( fill in the blank here ) diet as being natural? Unless you are a Koala bear, express your omnivorous nature. Why is it that anyone advocating an all bacon diet is clearly unhinged, whereas those espousing the benefits of stricltly spuds are held up to be the vanguard of science?

3) Did anyone else apart from Peter note that Chris Voight aborted his diet due to accelerating weight loss as the diet progressed? Why would this be? Could it be due to increasing proteolysis needed to furnish the body with amino acids not being sourced by the diet? While potatoes might contain "high quality" protein, what they don't contain is an awful lot of it, topping out at roughly about 2% protein by weight for a baked potato. A general rule of thumb says that in order to maintain proteinaceous tissues you need about 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. Accordingly, a 200 lb. man at 20% body fat then requires 160g of protein, or about 16.6 lbs. worth of baked potatoes a day. Stop for a second and reread that last sentence and then wonder how much weight could one lose by starving themselves of protein? I bet a lot, irrespective of insulin sensitivity.

4) Peter is speculating about a possible metabolic mechanism that might explain how an all potato diet ( ie very high carb ) could work to bring about weight loss. Speculation based on an n=1 , self reported experiment with no peer review whatsoever, performed by someone with a vested interest in the results. This is the first sentence of his post: "A bit speculative here, read with caution!" Just because you like carbohydrates and or potatoes, please try not to exaggerate what is actually being said here.

-PK
    My blog : cogitoergoedo.com

Interested in Intermittent Fasting? This might help: part 1, part 2, part 3.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    when we have potato fridays, DH and I glutton out on potatoes (in addition to regular stuff -- perhaps it's a carb reefed?), we are leaner the next day for some reason. Weird, right? we can also fast A LOT longer. Fri-Sat is typically a 18-20 fast instead of a 16.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    I don't understand the logic behind this potato business. Yes, it's a crash diet, but if you're going to crash diet, why not just do a protein starved modified fast? You will generate less insulin, protein is 3-5 times more thermogenic than carbohydrate and it will protect against muscle loss. On an equal calorie deficit, extremely lean protein (skinless chicken breast, egg whites, 0-1% cottage cheese) should blow carbohydrate out of the water AND preserve more muscle. So why not eat just chicken breast, cottage cheese and egg whites instead?
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I don't understand the logic behind this potato business. Yes, it's a crash diet, but if you're going to crash diet, why not just do a protein starved modified fast? You will generate less insulin, protein is 3-5 times more thermogenic than carbohydrate and it will protect against muscle loss. On an equal calorie deficit, extremely lean protein (skinless chicken breast, egg whites, 0-1% cottage cheese) should blow carbohydrate out of the water AND preserve more muscle. So why not eat just chicken breast, cottage cheese and egg whites instead?
    I know for me, a protein only diet would be brutally difficult. While eating nothing but potatoes doesn't sound too bad. Now, that's just me, but that is enough reason IMO.

Also, trying to apply pure logic to a crash diet is smart, but if we were purely logical nobody would be doing a crash diet.

Quote Originally Posted by zoebird View Post
    when we have potato fridays, DH and I glutton out on potatoes (in addition to regular stuff -- perhaps it's a carb reefed?), we are leaner the next day for some reason. Weird, right? we can also fast A LOT longer. Fri-Sat is typically a 18-20 fast instead of a 16.
    Your potato Fridays constitute a carb refeed which will increase muscle and liver glycogen. For every gram of glycogen you store about three additional grams of water to maintain cellular osmotic pressure. A muscle full of water and glycogen is a fuller, larger, muscle, which will also stretch your skin, assuming you don't have a whole raft of subcutaneous adipose tissue hiding your muscles, making you look "leaner." This is standard fitness model fare leading up to a photo shoot ... dehydrate for 48 hours, then carb load to swell your muscles. As an aide to dehydration, drink plenty of alcohol. Unspoken laws of fitness modelling.

With respect to being able to fast longer ... well ... the initial phase of a fast, at least the first 24 hours, constitute your metabolism drawing down glycogen stores. So, it stands to reason that the more glycogen you start with, the longer you can fast.

-PK

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bob loblaw View Post
    I know for me, a protein only diet would be brutally difficult. While eating nothing but potatoes doesn't sound too bad. Now, that's just me, but that is enough reason IMO.

Also, trying to apply pure logic to a crash diet is smart, but if we were purely logical nobody would be doing a crash diet.
    That may be true if you're the typical paleo/primal person that eats rather low carbohydrate. Suddenly, lots of potatoes may seem appealing because it's a change of pace whereas you're used to eating lots of meat pretty much every day. Give it a couple days - potatoes get really boring really fast when they're alone. I could probably get by on potatoes better for a couple days, but if we're doing 1-2 weeks I'd rather have meat.

I agree with your second point 100%.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    I think you meant to say "Protein Sparing Modified Fast", but otherwise, I agree with you. On another note, roughly half of the protein you ingest gets converted to glucose via gluconeogenesis. So, high protein gets you both high amino acids and glucose. The reverse is definitely not true when it comes to eating high carb.

-PK

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast