Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: All-Potato Fat Busting Science page 2

otzi Guest
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Perhaps, but don't expect a hardcore vegan paleo-basher to take that kind of balanced approach. They'll just take info like this and spread it like the gospel.
    I think if you ate much like a vegan, with the 'no processed food' mindset of paleo and added in some paleo treats like bacon, oysters, or liver as dessert you'd be well on the way to a great life.

I always laugh when I see a vegan eating a Snickers bar.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    I think if you ate much like a vegan, with the 'no processed food' mindset of paleo and added in some paleo treats like bacon, oysters, or liver as dessert you'd be well on the way to a great life.

I always laugh when I see a vegan eating a Snickers bar.
    Beer is totally vegan!

And low fat. >_>;;

Although I've posted the conundrum of mixing fats and carbs together in the same meal before.

Maybe the key is cycling full-on paleo/primal periods for like two weeks and then cycling in a low-fat vegan week where you simply avoid nuts, avacadoes (and other fatty vegetables and oils of course), legumes, and grains?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    great research, but it's all so simple - STOP focusing on macros. eat a variety of primal, non-toxic foods, and you can enjoy good health. weightloss is about calorie deficit. not about a magic number of carbs or fat.
    Last edited by jakey; 10-12-2012 at 11:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    great research, but it's all so simple - STOP focusing on macros. eat a variety of primal, non-toxic foods, and you can enjoy god health. weightloss is about calorie deficit. not about a magic number of carbs or fat.
    This is truth. Although different people may feel better overall on certain diets. Like I might be losing weight, but if I feel constantly bloated doing it (like I did on CW when losing), I'm finding a new way.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    great research, but it's all so simple - STOP focusing on macros. eat a variety of primal, non-toxic foods, and you can enjoy good health. weightloss is about calorie deficit. not about a magic number of carbs or fat.
    The point of eating solely potatoes for periods of time seems to be that it is a relatively safe, painless, inexpensive and effective way for many people to drop their calories way below maintenance without commensurate drops in metabolism, energy level or well-being. Seems like a perfectly good hack.

I'm thinking of trying it out on myself come the start of November, once we eat up the current round of perishables in our house and it's time to go to Costco again. I'll pick up 20# of potatoes and eat them until I run out, then cycle back to high-nutrient eating for a while and repeat if I liked the results of the first cycle.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

otzi Guest
    I agree with what Jakey says above!

This little blurb, from one of my earlier cites, sums it up in geek-speak:
    "But the physiology of weight loss on ultra low fat diets is basically comprehensible, especially once you look at lipids and superoxidel, and what the body needs to function effectively. Running your metabolism on pure glucose would induce, theoretically, an infinite glucose sensitivity and low fasting insulin. If we do reductio ad absurdum you would end up with no fat stores and experience death from hypoglycaemia if you ever depleted your glycogen stores. Mitochondria like (saturated) fatty acids. Fatty acids keep them in control."

We should be thinking about eating real food, not carbs, fat, and protein...

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by otzi View Post
    We should be thinking about eating real food, not carbs, fat, and protein...
    I agree that we should be, but I think sometimes you have to fine tune it a little more. Like if you have some sort of medical condition, or if your n=1 has proven otherwise for the purpose of a specific goal. JMO.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    You've almost just justified every arguement a low-fat/high carb vegan would ever be able to make against the paleo/primal diet.

Dagnabbit Otzi, stop giving them fuel!
    Hmmm, I read both of those and didn't come away with that at all. I wouldn't say the hyperlipid response is all roses and sunshine for the potato diet. In fact this is probably the third time I've read it as I have before, but it is quite dense so I gave it another pass on this thread.

I'm not gonna totally poo poo on the one source saying "well his neck and waist got smaller so it was probably mostly fat"....but lets face it that is not really all that telling. I'd like to see the data on it.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 10-12-2012 at 12:55 PM.

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Hmmm, I read both of those and didn't come away with that at all. I wouldn't say the hyperlipid response is all roses and sunshine for the potato diet. In fact this is probably the third time I've read it as I have before, but it is quite dense so I gave it another pass on this thread.

I'm not gonna totally poo poo on the one source saying "well his neck and waist got smaller so it was probably mostly fat"....but lets face it that is not really all that telling. I'd like to see the data on it.
    That's cool you read Hyperlipid. I think Peter knows his stuff about fats. I like his explantion in the links above about how FFA is dealt with in the presence and absence of insulin. Funny he was writing about potatoes last week.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast