Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight? page

Zena is offline Junior Member

Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight?

Am I the only one??Has anyone else seen their weight go up or had this much diffulculty losing??

I started following the PB in March of 2011 so I have had plenty of time to adapt. I had already lost 60 pounds using CW ways and was looking for a lifestyle that I could adopt long-term. In the last 19 months I have slowly but surely gained all of my weight back no matter what tweaks I have made. Now I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do!! I have tried the high fat, zero carbs as in I only ate meat, eggs, and coconut. I have tried middle range carbs and lowering fat. I have lowered proteins. I tried the leptin reset and all it did was give me gall bladder attacks severe enough I almost had to have it removed. I am now back to my obese weight, swollen legs, aches and pains have returned. I have no desire to ever eat grains or sugar again because they messed with my stomach. But seriously I need some help here.

I do believe my thyroid could be damaged but I don't have access to medical treatment right now and yes I did try the iodine cure and it made my symptoms worse I don't know what else to do.

Info and typical diet:
    52 years old, 5'3, 219 pounds!!

B: organic black coffee, usually fast but have free range chicken eggs when I do eat
    L: Organic salad greens with garden fresh veggies and 3-4 oz grass-fed protein
    D: 3-5 oz grass-fed or free range or wild protein, 2 different vegs usually one cooked and 1 raw
    Calories daily: 1100-1400

I was using a lot of avocado and grassfed butter but quit when my dh pointed out how much worse my cellulite was getting on my legs!! Like really really bad, then I noticed for the first time in my life cellulite on my arms.

I walk everyday, anywhere from 5-10 miles throughout the day. I do trail sprints once per week and lift heavy 2-3 days per week. I supplement mag, D3, C, selenium. I have managed to get my BS down from the 150's to the 90's so that is a huge improvement. I don't snack ever, I don't cheat EVER. I a totally committed to this WOE and spend extra money to get the best food available. I eat smallish to average meals and I am active everyday. If I at least felt great and wasn't plagued by so much pain it might make this easier.

People who know me think I am crazy for sticking to this when I am not reaping visible results and how can I argue? I am open to any and all ideas and suggestions.

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    If you're really doing what you say you're doing then I'd look for an underlying medical/hormonal condition.
    Honestly, it's impossible to gain back 60 pounds eating only 1100 to 1400 a day without a severe problem !
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Well Honestly thats how it happened

I said I think my thyroid is whacked so I guess that means I am just screwed right? I refuse to take any medications and I am determined to heal my health through foods so apparently I will have to keep looking for my answers. Thanks for your time.

Here is my last three days meals and weight logs:

day 1- coffee black, salad with 2 eggs no dressing, 5 oz free range chicken, cauliflower and broccoli, weight 219.4
    day 2- coffee black, leftover chicken and vegs, leftover chicken and vegs, weight 219.6
    day 3- coffee, salad, boiled eggs, grass fed lamb, brussels, spinach, weight 220.2

today- coffee black, weight 219.8

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I don't see how people can think you are crazy for sticking to a diet of mostly vegetables and a small amount of meat and eggs. Aside from the mountain of processed grains and non-fat milk that CW recommends, is your diet truly that much different from what CW recommends?

I agree that it sounds like you have some medical issues. If bowls of Special K with non-fat milk instead of eggs, and pasta primavera Lean Cuisines instead of salads will take 60lbs off you, then heck, go for it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

If you're thyroid is really EXTREMELY messed up like it sounds it is (and many other hormonal stuff), seriously, don't runaway from medications you're doing yourself more harm than good. Seriously, not everything is curable by a good lifestyle and WOE, and I know what I'm talking about unfortunately.

With severely low T3 you'll NEVER NEVER feel better and burn fat, it's just scientifically IMPOSSIBLE.
    Last edited by Daydreamer; 10-12-2012 at 10:38 AM.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

I NEVER ate those kinds of foods even in my old days. I ate things like brown rice, oatmeal etc. But I suffered IBS horribly and this has pretty much cured that issue for me so going back to grains is not an option or desire. I lost the weight the first time by basically eating like this only low fat. Now that doesn't even work.

I am not even sure why I posted at all now. I guess I am just so frustrated, lost and slightly frightened that this is just my reality. I wake up to pain, and because I refuse to take meds I am in pain all day. I eat healthy all day and I am frustrated that I am not reaping the results. I don't know what else to do. I was hoping someone could point out something I was missing some where.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I, personally, gained fat eating high fat/low carb. And I can only lose fat eating low fat. Plus, eating paleo and primal actually made some of my health issues seriously worse, mainly due to the high fiber and low carb aspects. However, I still think it's a good way of living, I just personally have to modify it so my body functions better (lower fat, high carb, low fiber, smaller meal sizes, etc...)

From what you described, though, it definitely seems like there is some underlying issue, and thyroid is a good place to start.

I've been reading that eating low carb actually suppresses the thyroid (as do vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli). Chris Kresser has some good articles/podcasts on this topic:

Thyroid Disorders

Also, you might want to check out The Perfect Health Diet, they are essentially advocating a higher carb paleo type diet, with carbs being about 30-40%.

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Have you taken your basal body temperature? That is a good way to tell if something wacky is going on with your thyroid.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-12-2012 at 10:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    If you're thyroid is really EXTREMELY messed up like it sounds it is (and many other hormonal stuff), seriously, don't runaway from medications you're doing yourself more harm than good. Seriously, not everything is curable by a good lifestyle and WOE, and I know what I'm talking about unfortunately.

With severely low T3 you'll NEVER NEVER feel better and burn fat, it's just scientifically IMPOSSIBLE.
    There's no way to know without testing right? I don't have insurance and there is no doctor where I live willing to see me without it ..

To me it sounds like a very disordered way of thinking to refuse to take meds in such extreme conditions and pain, seriously.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by BestBetter View Post
    I, personally, gained fat eating high fat/low carb. And I can only lose fat eating low fat.

From what you described, though, it definitely seems like there is some underlying issue, and thyroid is a good place to start.

I've been reading that eating low carb actually suppresses the thyroid (as do vegetables such as cauliflower and broccoli). Chris Kresser has some good articles/podcasts on this topic:

Thyroid Disorders

Also, you might want to check out The Perfect Health Diet, they are essentially advocating a higher carb paleo type diet, with carbs being about 30-40%.

Hypothyroidism | Perfect Health Diet

Have you taken your basal body temperature? That is a good way to tell if something wacky is going on with your thyroid.
    I do take my temp after reading this somewhere and it runs between 95.8 and 97..

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast