Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 61 to 70 of 70

Thread: Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight? page 7

  1. #61
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by Zena View Post

    I hate that it is probably going to be my thyroid or a combination of that and hormone issues. I guess I have known for awhile that was what it was coming to. I was losing so well before and then for some reason when I decided to go higher fat and even lower carb something seemed to break! I would give anything to go back and rethink that decision!!!!
    There are a few things you can do while researching doctors, getting tested.... Some of those things include:
    1. Get adequate calories
    2. Don't go VLC. Less than 50 grams of carbs a day may inhibit thyroid hormone T4 conversion to T3
    3. Get adequate selenium-200mcg/day
    4. Get optimal vitamin D
    5. Be aware of anemia, low ferritin
    6. Be careful with exercise as it can stress the body. If you do have thyroid issues over exercising is not a good idea.
    7. Look into foods that can impact thyroid function. All About Goitrogens - Why Thyroid Patients Are Warned About Cruciferous Vegetables

  2. #62
    JoanieL's Avatar
    JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    It's not the heat, it's the stupidity.
    Posts
    8,183
    Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    After looking at that list, I'm ready to go back to my one meal a day pizza diet. LOL and sigh....

  3. #63
    marcadav's Avatar
    marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    2,295
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    After looking at that list, I'm ready to go back to my one meal a day pizza diet. LOL and sigh....
    There's probably soy in your pizza. LOL

    How people react to any goitrogenic food is, IMO, person specific. I have hypothyroidism and eat broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower regularly, sometimes raw, usually lightly streamed, with no problems. I've been on a radish kick the last 2 weeks again with no fallout.

  4. #64
    emmie's Avatar
    emmie is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    1,299
    Zena-
    I am hypothyroid (Hashimoto's), and I want to advise you that whenever you get tested, make sure that they test your T3. Many doctors only order TSH and T4. Here's why you need T3 info.

    I went undiagnosed for almost 5 years because my primary doctor told me that all my symptoms were just 'normal aging,' but I also lost almost 80 lbs while undiagnosed but hypothyroid--although it was a real struggle. Even with clinically low thyroid levels, many people can maintain and even lose weight.

    However, 5 years after I was diagnosed and medicated, and was losing weight at about 1 lb a week, I suddenly gained 10 lbs in two weeks with NO change in eating or exercise. I was frantic and never considered thyroid because I'd been stable for so long. But the body converts T4 to make T3 (the important hormone), and in Hashimoto's (as my endo explained) that conversion process often begins to fail.

    Fortunately, I had a lab check scheduled, and we discovered that my T3 had dropped below the lab range. Once I began taking supplemental T3, the gaining stopped--but it wasn't water weight; it was 'real fat' that I had to lose the same slow way as any other body fat. It's T3 that controls metabolism.

    I have since periodically had T3 problems, and the weight gain is startling.

    There are many doctors who don't 'believe' in supplemental T3 (because they learned in med school that the body converts T4 to T3, and they don't keep up with current research and practice), but without supplemental T3, I'd be morbidly obese today.

    I know you are reluctant to take meds (as I am), but if you find that your thyroid hormones are low, no nutritional support or OTC supplement will solve that problem. The 'meds' you take are just the hormones that your body no longer produces.

    I am 71, and my thyroid hormones are the only Rx I take--and that's pretty good for a woman my age.

  5. #65
    Rueben's Avatar
    Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    148
    Thyroid, hasimotos, diabetes, ibs and many other diseases are caused by auto immune issues. Because you suffered IBS you will probably have a leaky gut. Basically the food you eat ends up as a foreign body in your blood stream. You have swollen feet because your lymph system is overloaded trying to clean your blood. Your liver is working hard too.

    I have the same issues as yourself and am still working on it but it generally isn't just one thing like your thyroid, but a whole range of issues. How expensive are naturopaths in your country?

    What i learned from my naturopath last week was just because I am eating good stuff is not going to fix things. She's given me L-glutamine to heal my leaky gut as well as zinc, mg, selenium, etc. I am also finding my feet swelling come down with a homeopathic remedy called
    Lymphomyosot.

    I would try and find a good naturopath if your budget allows but if not start taking the l-glutamine and lymphomyosot plus your supplements.

  6. #66
    Periwinkle's Avatar
    Periwinkle is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Location
    Houston, Texas
    Posts
    133
    To Zena: Yes...I started Primal back in June...When I started it, I had a week home alone while the kids were with their dad. No stress and plenty of sleep. In that week I dropped to 172. After my soon to be ex and the kids came back, it was all stress from the divorce and not enough sleep and I crept back up to 176, even though I didnt stop eating primal. Now I hover between 175 and 177. I have tried all kinds of variations (no raw milk, high fat and low carb, etc...and nothing worked). I decided that the best thing for me right now is to nourish my body and not worry about losing weight. I suspect to lose weight I'll have to do calorie restriction. Right now, I just try to eat a variety of healthy primal foods, including raw milk b/c I love it and if cutting it out doesnt make me lose weight, I see no reason to cut it out. For me, I do get my thyroid tested every year and it is always normal. The next time I go, I plan to have my adrenals tested. However, I suspect that my underlying problem is being woken between midnight and 2 am every night b/c my 4 year old has to potty.

    Gopintos: "It wasnt until I met with his nurse practitioner that she gave me some contact information for bariatric surgery, to which my insurance does not cover, so I knew it was up to me. " As a RN who is slowly working towards being a Women's Health NP, this makes me sad to hear. Surgery should never the first thing an NP suggests. We need more primal NPs in the world.
    It's just another day in paradise
    As you stumble to your bed
    You'd give anything to silence
    Those voices ringing in your head
    You thought you could find happiness
    Just over that green hill
    You thought you would be satisfied
    But you never will-
    Learn to be still
    -The Eagles

  7. #67
    janepinch's Avatar
    janepinch is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Madison, WI
    Posts
    2
    I'm a new member, so I may catch hell for adding this here, but that's fine. First off, I'm glad to hear people offering support, and so many members have chimed in. Second, I'm glad you, Zena, have decided to seek medical attention, even though you don't have medical insurance. This certainly adds much more complexity and stress to have to find a quality, compassionate clinician who will work with you despite lack of insurance. Third, while it may very well be some of the things members here have suggested, I'm concerned about all the diagnoses and treatments members are suggesting when you don't know yet what the cause is. While I agree that the medical establishment doesn't always have the answers, and many of us may have gone through a similar experience, self-diagnosis and self-treatment can be dangerous if you're wrong. I'm not going to suggest any possible diagnosis. While I do work in the medical field, I'm not a doctor. I would suggest a complete physical Zena, if you can manage it, provide your journal as this is more data to offer insight into the differential, and be open to lab work that might go beyond just thyroid testing. I wish you all the best of luck in finding the answers you seek and the peace of mind you deserve, and clearly, you have a lot of caring people here on this forum who are thinking of you.

  8. #68
    Daydreamer's Avatar
    Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    France
    Posts
    371
    I agree with janepinch, even if I don't feel like any people on this thread encouraged Zena to go in any kind of self-treatment.

    But, on the part of diagnosis. It could be much more complicated than a thyroid issue. The human body is very complex and, even just in the hormonal field, there's much more than thyroid to test.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

  9. #69
    Rueben's Avatar
    Rueben is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    148
    Quote Originally Posted by janepinch View Post
    I'm a new member, so I may catch hell for adding this here, but that's fine. First off, I'm glad to hear people offering support, and so many members have chimed in. Second, I'm glad you, Zena, have decided to seek medical attention, even though you don't have medical insurance. This certainly adds much more complexity and stress to have to find a quality, compassionate clinician who will work with you despite lack of insurance. Third, while it may very well be some of the things members here have suggested, I'm concerned about all the diagnoses and treatments members are suggesting when you don't know yet what the cause is. While I agree that the medical establishment doesn't always have the answers, and many of us may have gone through a similar experience, self-diagnosis and self-treatment can be dangerous if you're wrong. I'm not going to suggest any possible diagnosis. While I do work in the medical field, I'm not a doctor. I would suggest a complete physical Zena, if you can manage it, provide your journal as this is more data to offer insight into the differential, and be open to lab work that might go beyond just thyroid testing. I wish you all the best of luck in finding the answers you seek and the peace of mind you deserve, and clearly, you have a lot of caring people here on this forum who are thinking of you.
    Some of us around here have gone to so called "medical professionals" and been fobbed off with a prescription for anti depressants and a diuretic. The facts are, that doctors are trained to treat symptoms and not ask "why?". Why do doctors prescribe steroid creams for eczema when it is something that is causing a reaction in the body? Why not find out what that is instead of writing a prescription?

    I find people who work in the medical profession are very adamant their way is the only way. It's not. There is far too much trust put in doctors who receive minimum training in nutrition and don't keep up with research. I would encourage the op to go see someone who can give her an alternative view.
    Last edited by Rueben; 10-15-2012 at 07:38 AM.

  10. #70
    BestBetter's Avatar
    BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    sunshine state
    Posts
    1,220
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by janepinch View Post
    Third, while it may very well be some of the things members here have suggested, I'm concerned about all the diagnoses and treatments members are suggesting when you don't know yet what the cause is. While I agree that the medical establishment doesn't always have the answers, and many of us may have gone through a similar experience, self-diagnosis and self-treatment can be dangerous if you're wrong.
    While I completely agree that self-diagnosis can be dangerous, unfortunately most of us have no other option but to do a ton of research, ask a lot of questions, and heal ourselves. Plus, I don't see anyone diagnosing anything, people are suggesting things to get checked out.

    I had more doctors than I can count tell me that my IBS was due to my MS and therefore incurable; I proved them wrong and healed my IBS by not giving up and using information I gathered from a vairety of sources. I've had several neurologists try to *force* me to take some pretty horrible immune-suppressant drugs; instead I put my MS in remission ON MY OWN using diet and lowering-stress strategies and pretty much changing my whole life around. I am asymptomatc and drug-free, which would have NEVER happened had I listened to those pill-pushers.

    I know there are some really wonderful, smart, caring doctors out there, but to blindly trust them to cure us is about the stupidest thing I can think of.
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-15-2012 at 10:16 AM.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •