Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight? page 6

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    My rules for weight loss:

#1. Never listen to anyone who is fat.
    #2. Never listen (blindly) to anyone who has never been fat.
    #3. Doctors, though flawed, generally give better advice than people on message boards.
    Interesting view point.

If someone is fat but losing, I figure they have something figured out, some knowledge of piece of information that might be beneficial to me.

And anyone who has never been fat, I figure they must be doing something right and maybe I should take note, though I do find that sometimes they just dont understand. But some do or try.

And doctors, my doctor never did me any favors in the weight loss department. And I made a regularly scheduled appt every year to discuss it with him. It wasnt until I met with his nurse practitioner that she gave me some contact information for bariatric surgery, to which my insurance does not cover, so I knew it was up to me.
    Last edited by gopintos; 10-12-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I concede that I should never use the term "never."

But #2 I would. Anyone who has never been fat isn't necessarily doing something right. It may just be genetics. I've known lots of thin people who are thin no matter how they live. One fat parent >>> 50% chance of being fat. Two fat parents >>> 80% chance of being fat. Genetics? Environment? I don't know. I do know that anyone who has never had to lose weight can't possibly know what my situation is (one where I have to count every freakin morsel or gain), nor the situation of the OP.

And anyone who tells me to eat more to lose more? Yeah, and 1 + 1 = 3.

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JoanieL View Post
    Anyone who has never been fat isn't necessarily doing something right.
    That is true. I should have qualified mine also. I was thinking about my friends my same age. Some of the young'uns, maybe it just hasnt caught up with them yet
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gopintos View Post
    And anyone who has never been fat, I figure they must be doing something right and maybe I should take note,
    Bodies are definitely different so you can't assume they know something you don't. I knew a guy who would regularly eat HUGE quantities of food and calories. I mean, if we went to MacDonald's it was TWO Big Macs, super sized fries, and a shake. Or if we all went out to pizza he ordered a whole one for himself, while the rest of us shared a second pizza. If I ate even half what he did I'd way 400 lbs! But he didn't have an ounce of fat on him. And, no, he wasn't an Olympic athlete, marathon runner, or anything like that. But he did always seem to have a lot of energy. I think some people's metabolisms really do just run a lot hotter than others. So just because something's working for them doesn't mean it will work for you.

MarissaLinnea is offline Senior Member
    I just wanted to tell you that I have a history of thyroid issues as well. I decided that I would try the iodine thing, and that basically threw me into hypothyroidism. I've been off of the iodine for a few months now, and my thyroid hormones are finally almost back into the "normal" range for me. Through this process I gained 20lbs which I am now trying to get off. I don't think it's a good idea for people to dose themselves with iodine, it should be under the care of a doctor. I have heard way too many stories about iodine giving people thyroid issues. So if you are still taking it, you might want to stop.

It really sounds like you are having some kind of underlying hormonal problem. If taking the iodine made it worse, then I would suspect that you were hypothyroid to begin with and that taking the iodine actually made it worse. There really is no substitute for seeing a doctor and getting some blood work done in this case. There is no way you should have gained that amount of weight eating that low of calories and with your physical expenditure. It just doesn't make sense. Don't give up on Primal, but please do find a way to see a doc and get some tests done. And if you are still taking the iodine, you might want to stop. I'm not a doctor by any means, but just giving my advice from personal experience. Good luck, I know how frustrating it is.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Take a look at my journal for my struggle. I have had troubles for a great while losing weight because I wasn't eating enough. I have to consciously be sure I am eating enough to sustain my daily activities and then I can lose. I also wonder, when was the last time you took a break? I suggest you take a break from lifting for 1 month. Eat high nutrient foods without weighing/measuring until satiety. Drink water to thirst. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, more if you are still tired. Give your body at least 1 month to start healing itself. Stay off the scale during that month. Maybe try a whole 30.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Lost fat and gained muscle, so it really worked for me.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Zena is offline Junior Member
    Wow- I don't know how to thank all of you who have weighed in on this post and especially to those of you that have went out of your way to be kind and provide helpful and thoughtful suggestions. I did google for some health care options and I left a message at a low income clinic. I will follow up on Monday and make it a priority to get some tests done even if I have to get some money together and have them run myself. Thank you seems inadequate but it's what I have to offer.

I hate that it is probably going to be my thyroid or a combination of that and hormone issues. I guess I have known for awhile that was what it was coming to. I was losing so well before and then for some reason when I decided to go higher fat and even lower carb something seemed to break! I would give anything to go back and rethink that decision!!!!

I wanted to do one of the people for whom high (healthy) fats and less carbs was the magical 'sweet' spot, alas that was not to be. But I will never go back to grains, processed or manufactured foods. I love my clean and natural foods and it did heal my IBS.

I stopped the iodine quite some time ago and Yes I did feel it was making the situation worse

I would like to clarify that I did the PB exactly as written for probably 10 months before I started tweaking! And by then I had already gained a lot of weight, but I kept thinking it was my body healing and I would eventually reverse. *sigh* again, not to be!

Thanks to every single one who took part in this thread!!

Zena is offline Junior Member
    [QUOTE=teach2183;977324]Take a look at my journal for my struggle. I have had troubles for a great while losing weight because I wasn't eating enough. I have to consciously be sure I am eating enough to sustain my daily activities and then I can lose. I also wonder, when was the last time you took a break? I suggest you take a break from lifting for 1 month. Eat high nutrient foods without weighing/measuring until satiety. Drink water to thirst. Get at least 8 hours of sleep per night, more if you are still tired. Give your body at least 1 month to start healing itself. Stay off the scale during that month. Maybe try a whole 30.[/QUOTE\]

I will check out your journal and thanks for the input. I will implement as much of everyone's advice as I can. I have done the whole30 twice already!

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Some symptoms of hypothyroid are weight gain or difficult losing weight, extreme fatigue, muscle cramps, cold intolerance, dry skin and hair. Not treating hypothyroidism can be dangerous, so you should find a way to get tested soon.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast