Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight? page 4

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Zena View Post
    I just finished reading at Ray Peat and all I can say is Good lord I am that person of whom he writes about. High dawn BS issues, waking with a pounding heart! abnormal temp and pulse. I haven't found the link for his suggested diet to treat it yetr but will keep looking and will follow all of the links you all have provided. Sounds like I have my work cut out for me and I will keep you all informed of my progress. Thank you so much for taking the time to supply the info and the links.
    The thing about Peat is that he doesn't exactly promote a specific diet, but he does recommend/not recommend certain things, for example, he is vehemently against polyunsaturated fats (including omega 3, which is one of the things I don't totally agree with). He is pro-fruits and anti-vegetables, and pro-saturated fats and gelatin from bone broths. He is pro-protein, but warns that the majority of it shouldn't come from only muscle meats, due to the high levels of tryptophan (which is why he promotes drinking like a quart of milk per day, another thing I don't agree with, but I am careful to try to balance the protein I eat by supplementing with bone broth and gelatin powder.) He goes into great detail about these things in a bunch of different articles, so there's a lot of digging. I find this both frustrating and kind of refreshing, because he isn't ever trying to tell people what to do or not do, he just lays out the research and the facts and lets people do what they want with that info.

I really thought adding all that sugar back to my diet would be a disaster, and I was surprised to find that some of my health issues that got worse on paleo and primal (fatigue, depression, thyroid...) got significantly better with more sugar.

Danny Roddy is a dude who is dedicated to writing about Ray Peat's work, interviews him occasionally, and in general tries to explain Peat's work and clarify the things that people tend to get confused about. His blog is worth checking out, too:

http://www.dannyroddy.com/

One other thing you might want to check out is Cold Thermogenesis. I started using this in the summer and it had a dramatic effect on my ability to deal with both heat and cold. One pretty common hypothyroid symptom is feeling cold in the extremeties, and being too cold in general. The CT and the higher doses of sugar really helped my body to start burning a little warmer. There's a long CT thread on this forum with some great links:

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread56730.html
    Last edited by BestBetter; 10-12-2012 at 12:46 PM.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. Short of suggesting you switch your diet to include more calories, you're a big person and you should be able to eat more and lose weight, you really should see a doctor. There's no shame in being sick and taking medication even if some gung-ho types here will tell you a good diet and a steady routine if exercise will cure what ails ye.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AndreaC View Post
    No one has suggested iodine deficiency??
    She said she tried iodine and felt worse.

sakura_girl is online now Senior Member
    What kind of coffee are you drinking? Perhaps it's the kind that blends in robusta beans, which are actually very bad for you.

Also, I agree with high cortisol levels. How much sleep are you getting? Coffee can also exacerbate exhausted adrenals.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Had absolutely no issues losing weight so far. 32-35 lbs gone within 4 months, with little effort.

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zena View Post
    Thank you Snoopy and Joanie for your words and kindness. I was afraid I was in a boat alone and apparently I am. I will see if I can find a doctor that will help me. I do want to be well. I am at the end of my rope I guess!
    It is possible to get blood tests done without a doctor. You might want to check out online sites like healthcheckusa.com

Healthcheck has a thyroid panel that tests TSH, free T4 and free T3 for $85. At one time they offered a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still offer that discount.
    Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Here is another way to order your own labs Discount Online Blood Chemistry Tests & Results, Wellness & Anti Aging Direct Access Laboratory Testing

Not that I'm saying you need them.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Focus on optimal nutrition and try to be a bit more active - that should up your metabolic rate.

Forget about losing weight for the time being and focus on healing your body and your metabolism first and foremost.

The weight loss will follow later and believe me, it will feel relatively effortless.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

bob loblaw is offline Senior Member
    My first assumption is that your calories were way higher when you initially started primal. (And you did say you have lowered your fat intake.) Honestly, gaining 60lbs. in 19 months on 1400 calories per day would be a crazy scientific oddity. (and not just a little crazy, virtually impossible.)

I'm not saying that to be negative, I just look for the most obvious answer first. Generally, most people who gain weight are simply taking in too many calories, often more than they think. (This is VERY common in paleo or Atkins, since fat is so calorie dense it's very easy to consume a LOT more calories than one is planning.) Even if you DO have a faulty thyroid, your body still has to burn calories to operate.

However, the first thing you should do is consult a physician on your thyroid. If you have struggled this long, it's best to get it checked. Next, do a detailed calorie log with not an inch of fudging. From there, you should be able to build a workable diet plan.

Zena is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    I'm sorry to hear what you've been through. Short of suggesting you switch your diet to include more calories, you're a big person and you should be able to eat more and lose weight, you really should see a doctor. There's no shame in being sick and taking medication even if some gung-ho types here will tell you a good diet and a steady routine if exercise will cure what ails ye.
    Thank you for your empathy!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunnivara View Post
    She said she tried iodine and felt worse.
    Yes I did try the iodine with co-supplements

Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    What kind of coffee are you drinking? Perhaps it's the kind that blends in robusta beans, which are actually very bad for you.

Also, I agree with high cortisol levels. How much sleep are you getting? Coffee can also exacerbate exhausted adrenals.
    I sleep anywhere from 7-8 hours per night.. The coffee I drink is an organic coffee. I will have to check exactly what it is. I buy it froma local coffee shop..

Quote Originally Posted by marcadav View Post
    It is possible to get blood tests done without a doctor. You might want to check out online sites like healthcheckusa.com

Healthcheck has a thyroid panel that tests TSH, free T4 and free T3 for $85. At one time they offered a discount with the code 12345. I don't know if they still offer that discount.
    Thyroid Panel II: T4 Free, T3 Free with TSH
    Hey thanks for this!! I will try and save up some of my tips and see if I can do this!!!

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast