Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Honestly- How many people here have GAINED weight? page 2

Zena is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    To me it sounds like a very disordered way of thinking to refuse to take meds in such extreme conditions and pain, seriously.
    Addictions run in our family and I grew up watching my parents destroy their lives with meds. all of my siblings are addicts and yes I have a fear of meds.

Bestbetter thanks for the links I will check them out right away!

snoopy is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zena View Post
    Am I the only one??Has anyone else seen their weight go up or had this much diffulculty losing??

I started following the PB in March of 2011 so I have had plenty of time to adapt. I had already lost 60 pounds using CW ways and was looking for a lifestyle that I could adopt long-term. In the last 19 months I have slowly but surely gained all of my weight back no matter what tweaks I have made. Now I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do!! I have tried the high fat, zero carbs as in I only ate meat, eggs, and coconut. I have tried middle range carbs and lowering fat. I have lowered proteins. I tried the leptin reset and all it did was give me gall bladder attacks severe enough I almost had to have it removed. I am now back to my obese weight, swollen legs, aches and pains have returned. I have no desire to ever eat grains or sugar again because they messed with my stomach. But seriously I need some help here.

I do believe my thyroid could be damaged but I don't have access to medical treatment right now and yes I did try the iodine cure and it made my symptoms worse I don't know what else to do.

Info and typical diet:
    52 years old, 5'3, 219 pounds!!

B: organic black coffee, usually fast but have free range chicken eggs when I do eat
    L: Organic salad greens with garden fresh veggies and 3-4 oz grass-fed protein
    D: 3-5 oz grass-fed or free range or wild protein, 2 different vegs usually one cooked and 1 raw
    Calories daily: 1100-1400

I was using a lot of avocado and grassfed butter but quit when my dh pointed out how much worse my cellulite was getting on my legs!! Like really really bad, then I noticed for the first time in my life cellulite on my arms.

I walk everyday, anywhere from 5-10 miles throughout the day. I do trail sprints once per week and lift heavy 2-3 days per week. I supplement mag, D3, C, selenium. I have managed to get my BS down from the 150's to the 90's so that is a huge improvement. I don't snack ever, I don't cheat EVER. I a totally committed to this WOE and spend extra money to get the best food available. I eat smallish to average meals and I am active everyday. If I at least felt great and wasn't plagued by so much pain it might make this easier.

People who know me think I am crazy for sticking to this when I am not reaping visible results and how can I argue? I am open to any and all ideas and suggestions.
    You could try Ray Peat style of eating. He's all about healing the thyroid naturally. Minimal to no PUFA and raising metabolic rate etc...his website is raypeat.com. I have been able to raise my body temperature from 96-97 range up to 97.7-98.6 by following his ideas. I have also improved my adrenals because my body temp used to fluctuate all over the place and now is pretty consistant from day to day...I also feel a sense of calm like I haven't felt in years.
    (I think fasting and also cruciferous vegetables when you have thyroid problems are a bad idea??)
    My diet before peat had no refined sugar whatsoever and I just felt totally drained after every meal. Anyways, I don't usually post here, but if I see someone struggling I have to say something that might give you a new direction to try...I know some people are against what ray peat says, but it has helped me tremendously with multiple food intolerances, chronic diahrrea, and everything else I mentioned above.
    Good luck and I hope you get things figured out!

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    While going to a doctor/taking meds is generally my very last recourse, I have to admit that if I were over 200 lbs and not losing weight at 1100-1400 calories per day and walking every day, I'd go to a doctor. The health issues that obesity causes are alarming and real.

I understand not having medical insurance and there have been times in my life when I didn't have any. When I needed a doctor (my bp had gone up rather quickly), I pounded on the powers that be until I found care on a sliding scale. They don't make it easy if you're not living on the street or over 65, but help is out there.

I wish you luck and good health.

Thank you Snoopy and Joanie for your words and kindness. I was afraid I was in a boat alone and apparently I am. I will see if I can find a doctor that will help me. I do want to be well. I am at the end of my rope I guess!

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Am I the only one??Has anyone else seen their weight go up or had this much diffulculty losing??

I started following the PB in March of 2011 so I have had plenty of time to adapt. I had already lost 60 pounds using CW ways and was looking for a lifestyle that I could adopt long-term.

I lost the majority of my weight pre-primal also. I was eating primal for the most part, except that I had added in whole grains and legumes, because I heard they were good for me. My carbs were about 150-225 per day. Fat was about 30%. Losing about 10lbs per month.

Like you, I was looking for a lifestyle and while what I was doing would have been okay, I was eating all the time it seemed, so I was looking for something different.

I found primal, and started increasing the fat, lower the carbs. That helped me to get a good grip on my hunger. To understand hunger. It helped me to practice fasting. I was getting full on less food. But as the fat went up, the weight loss went down. It didnt matter where my calories were, or where my carbs were. My protein was always pretty consistent. But my pattern definitely shows with each increase in fat, weight loss slowed until finally at about 75% fat, it actually was a weight gain and my fasting would take it back off. My calories were at a deficit. Very few 20%.

But you said you have tried to lower fat, so I don't know. I think 30% up to 40 maybe, is where I need to be for weight loss. And I think 60-70% will be good for maintenance.

What finally gave me the courage to go back to what was working, when most everyone else was having great success with high fat/low carbs, was I re-read this page. I had read it before, but it did not sink in.
    Perfect Health Diet: Weight Loss Version | Perfect Health Diet

And it may all just be a co-inky dink also. I have only recently converted back, so time will tell for sure, but so far, I have lost more weight since Oct 3 than I have in the last 3 months combined.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by snoopy View Post
    You could try Ray Peat style of eating. He's all about healing the thyroid naturally. Minimal to no PUFA and raising metabolic rate etc...his website is raypeat.com. I have been able to raise my body temperature from 96-97 range up to 97.7-98.6 by following his ideas. I have also improved my adrenals because my body temp used to fluctuate all over the place and now is pretty consistant from day to day...I also feel a sense of calm like I haven't felt in years.
    (I think fasting and also cruciferous vegetables when you have thyroid problems are a bad idea??)
    My diet before peat had no refined sugar whatsoever and I just felt totally drained after every meal. Anyways, I don't usually post here, but if I see someone struggling I have to say something that might give you a new direction to try...I know some people are against what ray peat says, but it has helped me tremendously with multiple food intolerances, chronic diahrrea, and everything else I mentioned above.
    Good luck and I hope you get things figured out!
    +1 on Ray Peat. I'm always a little bit hesitant to recommend him, since what he writes about is somewhat controversial on this forum, but I've been using some of the info from Ray Peat's articles to improve my thyroid and hormones. Interesting thing about Ray Peat is that he's a doctor who has absolutely nothing for sale - no supplement, no books, nothing. I don't agree with everything he recommends, but he really thinks outside the box, and I think he's written some brilliant stuff.

BestBetter is offline Senior Member
    I do take my temp after reading this somewhere and it runs between 95.8 and 97..
    From my personal experience and what I've read, that range is solidly in the Hypothyroid range. Between Ray Peat, The Perfect Health Diet, and Chris Kresser, you should have an arsenal for dealing with it!

kiwigal is offline Senior Member

I started following the PB in March of 2011 so I have had plenty of time to adapt. I had already lost 60 pounds using CW ways and was looking for a lifestyle that I could adopt long-term. In the last 19 months I have slowly but surely gained all of my weight back no matter what tweaks I have made. Now I can't seem to lose it no matter what I do!! I have tried the high fat, zero carbs as in I only ate meat, eggs, and coconut. I have tried middle range carbs and lowering fat. I have lowered proteins. I tried the leptin reset and all it did was give me gall bladder attacks severe enough I almost had to have it removed. I am now back to my obese weight, swollen legs, aches and pains have returned. I have no desire to ever eat grains or sugar again because they messed with my stomach. But seriously I need some help here.

I do believe my thyroid could be damaged but I don't have access to medical treatment right now and yes I did try the iodine cure and it made my symptoms worse I don't know what else to do.

Info and typical diet:
    52 years old, 5'3, 219 pounds!!

B: organic black coffee, usually fast but have free range chicken eggs when I do eat
    L: Organic salad greens with garden fresh veggies and 3-4 oz grass-fed protein
    D: 3-5 oz grass-fed or free range or wild protein, 2 different vegs usually one cooked and 1 raw

I was using a lot of avocado and grassfed butter but quit when my dh pointed out how much worse my cellulite was getting on my legs!! Like really really bad, then I noticed for the first time in my life cellulite on my arms.

I walk everyday, anywhere from 5-10 miles throughout the day. I do trail sprints once per week and lift heavy 2-3 days per week. I supplement mag, D3, C, selenium. I have managed to get my BS down from the 150's to the 90's so that is a huge improvement. I don't snack ever, I don't cheat EVER. I a totally committed to this WOE and spend extra money to get the best food available. I eat smallish to average meals and I am active everyday. If I at least felt great and wasn't plagued by so much pain it might make this easier.

People who know me think I am crazy for sticking to this when I am not reaping visible results and how can I argue? I am open to any and all ideas and suggestions.

High Cortisol can make you gain weight eating low calorie.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Lost about 15 lbs doing low carb. Then purposely put 10 of it back on with LC, just a bit less so, and Body by Science lifting. It was a clean cut followed by a clean bulk with greatly increased strength. When you learn how your body functions, and assuming your in relative good metabolic health body composition is fairly easily manipulated. If you have health issues it could literally take eating correctly for YEARS before the damage is mitigated.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast