Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bone broth: bake it? page

PHaselow is offline Senior Member

Bone broth: bake it?

Primal Fuel
    Sorry to be lazy. I am not going to search the archives for the answer, but instead just ask.

I do not have a crock pot.

Who here bakes their bone broth all day? I don't want to leave it on the stove top while I am gone. I spend much of my day running back and forth (3 miles) to help care for my MIL who is terminally ill.

I roasted the beef bones for a bit, added some cider vinegar to the cold water (didn't soak them), brought it to a boil on the range and then simmered for an hour. When I left, I popped it in a 250 degree oven with the lid ajar.

I just got home 2 hours later and I'm thinking I'll just leave it in the oven all day. Kind of an energy drain, but the only other option is popping it back/forth between range/oven as I run in/out. Add water as needed, although I think I might put the lid on completely instead.

My guess is this is just fine. Heat is heat. It is simmering in the oven.

I can't wait for this delicious broth. I will probably only cook it for 15 hours. Last time I did only 12 hours and the broth was nice and gelatinous when cooled. The marrow? Complete heaven! I have to remember not to eat it all at once this time (5 bones) since I felt sick from all the fat.

Thanks. Pam

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Farfalla is offline Senior Member
    While I don't think your method could spoil the broth, I'd invest in a crockpot if I were you - you'll save energy, and it's much safer. I don't mind running errands when my crockpot is working, but I'd be wary to leave the oven unattended for more than, say, 20 minutes. Crockpots are so cheap in the U.S. Not like here (100 USD and more...).

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I've never done it that way but it should be fine. Like you said: heat is heat.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Do you feel that having the oven on is safer than having a stove element on? I usually just simmer mine on the stovetop. My crockpots cook too high for broth making in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Do you feel that having the oven on is safer than having a stove element on? I usually just simmer mine on the stovetop. My crockpots cook too high for broth making in my opinion.
    With the dogs, I thought it would be safer to have it in the oven rather than sitting out on an open flame. They aren't little animals and the broth smells so good! Even on the back burner... I also have a cat that thinks he owns the place. I'd hate to think of him jumping up near the stove to get away from dog #2 who keeps trying to play with said cat.

I can afford a crock pot. I actually gave my old one away last year because I never used it. I'm not a crock pot cooker. I do have a 7 qt. Kuhn Rikon pressure cooker that I will use next time (just forgot)...

I'm home right now for a few hours so it is back on the burner. The kids will be home tonight so I will leave it there with instructions to keep an eye on it.

I can't wait for breakfast! I have my brother-in-law and his wife here (both MDs) for a few days to help care for our terminally ill MIL. They think I am just absolutely nuts. Oh, well. If MIL could still swallow, I would be bringing it to her. That would solidify my role at the weirdo in our family (finally) after 25 years! Just wait until they see me slurping down the marrow...

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Oh ok, that makes sense. That would be tragic if your pets got to it and hurt themselves.

I am jealous of your pressure cooker. I have a Presto and while it works well enough, I have read that the Kuhn Rikon's are superior for making stock since they don't vent. And they are also less noisy!

Pressure-Cooked Stocks: We Got Schooled.

Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    Oh ok, that makes sense. That would be tragic if your pets got to it and hurt themselves.

I am jealous of your pressure cooker. I have a Presto and while it works well enough, I have read that the Kuhn Rikon's are superior for making stock since they don't vent. And they are also less noisy!

Pressure-Cooked Stocks: We Got Schooled.
    Worth every penny! My favorite recipe so far are thick cut pork chops with cranberry juice/cranberries and sweet potatoes. Yum. It also makes the best chicken stock (whole chicken and water; that's it) so I'm just stupid for not thinking of it. I guess I wasn't thinking it would be the best option because of the ridiculously long time you are supposed to simmer the bones.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

DinoHunter is online now Senior Member
    Ive never used the oven to slow cook bone broth but I have used it for other stuff (includ. Soups, stews roast etc) it works just fine.
    Just make sure you have a burn proof lid on it and it seals well enough that the water isent going to evaporate in the time you leave it.
    For slow cooking I usally set it closer to 200 degrees
    Every time I hear the dirty word 'exercise', I wash my mouth out with chocolate.

http://primaldog.blogspot.co.uk/

Done! 14 hours and I just had to turn it off so I could think about going to bed in an hour or so. Looks good.

Question: does anyone else feel a bit nauseous after eating marrow? I only had about a Tablespoon of it, but I feel kind of sick to my stomach. Not in an ill kind of way, but it is so rich.

I think I'll try the parsley/lemon juice salad or something next time to cut the richness. Ugh.

Age 48
    5'3"
    121lbs

Henri Frederic Amiel

oliviascotland is offline Senior Member
    I do use the oven to make stock - I'm lucky that I have an Aga, so I frequently just put the pan with the stock in into the medium oven overnight rather than leave it simmering on the top. Takes a bit longer, but just as good!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast