Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Staples that have really helped you page 2

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Daydreamer View Post
    Ok all good then hehe, there's nothing wrong with cauliflower rice (tastes GREAT with different spices and pan fried ), but sometimes on this forum people try to "replace" things and I think it's part of their failure and is a misconception of the philosophy of the Primal WOE.

Just wanted to add :
    Raw ground beef eaten as a "Tartare"

I agree with Daydreamer on this topic. I was guilty of this for a long time. In fact, I find primal/paleo approved foods such as coconut milk, smoothies, powdered proteins, nut butters, etc., all to be the junk-foods of this lifestyle. Once I gave them up, I have made significant changes in my body composition.

Eating solid fresh foods as opposed to dried, powdered or blended foods has made all the difference for me.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Staples for me are multitudes of veggies, salmon, meat, canned fish.

As for trying to recreate the old stuff, the other night I made spaghetti sauce with sausage in it. Rich and thick. I had mine on sweet potato and served my partner his over ravioli. Oh it was so good. I haven't had a super thick tomato sauce in a long time.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Yep. Powdered proteins is just a something that can be helpful when you're don't have much time and you're working out, but... I don't always get how it's better than say some cold skinless boneless chicken breast.

Nut butters are clearly the junk-foods of this lifestyle, I consider it as a treat.

But I won't criticize these foods too much because they were VERY VERY helpful when it came to gaining weight quickly in order to heal from my hypogonadism induced state of malnourishment. Coconut milk is still awesome

But yeah, the way I eat now is much much different than when I started, it's interesting to note.
    I eat way more different vegetables, much less fruits, less nuts, and more forms of nutritious foods that I had no idea about 4 months ago.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I feel like mostly the replacements work as carriers for sauces and are actually somewhat important if you really enjoy cooking. I like zucchini spaghetti because it expands the variety of foods I can make (ie, things that need a bland base for a flavorful sauce).

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Grass fed beef, free range chicken & eggs, uncured bacon, salmon, scallops, shrimp & tuna

Avocados, olives, ghee, avocado & olive oils, cream, sour cream, yogurt, cheese, nuts

Arugula, asparagus, broccoli, Brussell sprouts, cabbage, cauliflower, cukes, eggplant, spring-mix greens, mushrooms, onions, peppers, squash, tomatoes

(Sparingly) Strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, cantaloupe, apple, grapefruit, dark chocolate, green tea, limes
    (very sparingly) tequila

I buy organic 100% except broccoli, can't always find it org

a-ray is offline Member
    For me it is Bacon and Eggs. I almost always have them in the fridge, so I always have that meal to fall back on.

TLoRu is offline Senior Member
    Spaghetti squash, sweet potatoes, butternut squash soup, eggs, some form of chili at all times is in my fridge as well

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Leeks, olives, and kabocha squash. My staples.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

JudyCr is offline Senior Member
    Cool thing about this lifestyle is my list of 'staples' is every food I have in the house, with the exception of DH's peanut butter, graham crackers, bread & skim milk. I shop every Mon & Thurs @ noon and never run out of anything, which I know is the reason I've had such a success. DH has been so impressed he told me to stop buying ice cream for him about a month ago, if he wants some he'll go thru baskin-robbins, he's never had a weight problem but says he sleeps much better lately. I say, be prepared

Lawyerchick12 is offline Senior Member
    Broccoli, Cauliflower, Cucumbers - Main Veggies - RAW
    LOTS of canned fish/seafood and eggs

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast