Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Goitrogens page 2

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    A hell of a lot of people are extremely deficient in iodine and consume a lot of goitrogens. Clearly all of these vegetables are fine in moderation, better if cooked (but not flax, don't cook that. I'm not sure it's that goitrogenic though, Too many people can't think in non black and white terms), and perfectly fine with adequate iodine. I supplement with iodine. You all should too.

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hazyjane View Post
    As far as fermented cruciferous, fermenting actually makes them even more goitrogenic. Flax seed is another not commonly discussed goitrogen. In fact, it's one of the worst.

AWWWW man I wanted to make kimchi too!

And that is the reason I dont eat flax, at all anymore. Its been about a year since I have had any appreciable amount.
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Tara tootie is offline Senior Member
    No brassicas b/c of thyroid, no nightshades b/c of inflammation, no rots b/c of carbs. Really?!
    Life on Earth may be punishing, but it includes an annual free trip around the sun!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I have a rather large & visible nodule on my thyroid. It functions normally according to the scan I had done. Never did blood work though. I have been wondering if there are any dietary changes I can make that would make it shrink. I would hate to cut out my favorite veggies though. Broccoli and Brussels sprouts are at the top of my list. I'm having cabbage rolls for dinner tonight. Maybe I'll just live with the lump, and name it Fred.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    I think most people are low on iodine. This is in part because of the mass presence of bromine, fluoride, and chlorine, in our environments. They are all fellow halogens that compete with Iodine receptors... that's part of the reason thyroid problems are becoming so common now.

On top of that, the article was good except for the little tid bit about soy. Goitrogens are just one of the many pearls that make up the fake health food soy.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    You can read some of Dr.Brownstein's material on the thyroid and iodine. I actually supplement with Iodine because of the lack of it even in an organic whole foods diet, and because of the presence of the other halogens.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    I don't worry too much about eating cooked cabbage, steamed broccoli and kale. And I even eat a little kimchee once in awhile;-)
    I don't do flax or flax oil, however. A friend with thyroid issues was doing Johanna Budwig's anticancer protocol where you mix flax oil w/ cottage cheese to sulphur-bind the biophotons (sounds very Star trek, LOL!) and her TSH went through the roof!

emmie is offline Senior Member
    They don't 'destroy' your thyroid. They can bind to the thyroid hormones in your system [in a healthy person], thus lessening your level of thyroid hormones and perhaps lowering your metabolism.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (7 0f 10 hypo women have this disease), and my endo told me to ignore all these things so long as I'm eating in moderation. It apparently takes massive portions of cabbage, etc. to affect the thyroid. I have my blood checked every 4 months to adjust my meds, and so far there aren't any indicators that vegetables are affecting my hormone levels.

By the way, a TPO test will not always indicate Hashimoto's because the antibodies may not be attacking when the test is conducted. My Hashimoto's was diagnosed from a biopsy (of a nodule), and my endo commented at the time that he would never have made the diagnosis on my TPO numbers--they were too low. But a biopsy is conclusive.

However, since the treatment is the same whether or not your hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's, it's not a critical issue.

So far as supplementing with iodine, if I'm being treated by a doctor, I would ask about any supplements. So far as I know, if you're hypothyroid, all the iodine in the world isn't going to improve the situation. Thyroid deficiency caused by lack of iodine hasn't been seen in this country in this century, since the advent of iodized salt and other products.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    thanks emmie!
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by emmie View Post
    They don't 'destroy' your thyroid. They can bind to the thyroid hormones in your system [in a healthy person], thus lessening your level of thyroid hormones and perhaps lowering your metabolism.

I have Hashimoto's thyroiditis (7 0f 10 hypo women have this disease), and my endo told me to ignore all these things so long as I'm eating in moderation. It apparently takes massive portions of cabbage, etc. to affect the thyroid. I have my blood checked every 4 months to adjust my meds, and so far there aren't any indicators that vegetables are affecting my hormone levels.

By the way, a TPO test will not always indicate Hashimoto's because the antibodies may not be attacking when the test is conducted. My Hashimoto's was diagnosed from a biopsy (of a nodule), and my endo commented at the time that he would never have made the diagnosis on my TPO numbers--they were too low. But a biopsy is conclusive.

However, since the treatment is the same whether or not your hypothyroidism is due to Hashimoto's, it's not a critical issue.

So far as supplementing with iodine, if I'm being treated by a doctor, I would ask about any supplements. So far as I know, if you're hypothyroid, all the iodine in the world isn't going to improve the situation. Thyroid deficiency caused by lack of iodine hasn't been seen in this country in this century, since the advent of iodized salt and other products.
    I agree -- there's so much free talk about thyroid and iodine here, and it scares me. Hashimoto's is an autoimmune disease, in no way caused by lack of iodine (though it may be caused by the SAD!). Moreover, there is evidence to suggest that if you have Hashimoto's, symptoms can be exacerbated by taking supplemental iodine, and medical studies have been done to suggest excess iodine can actually trigger hypothyroidism. I suppose people can find counterarguments to that, but no way would I ever mess about with taking iodine -- even multivitamins have most or all of the RDA, it's very hard to avoid. So as someone who knows I have Hashimoto's, no way would I ever mess around with supplementation unless I was doing so under specific medical guidance. And I think more people should be getting tested and getting proper treatment if necessary, not dosing themselves with iodine willy nilly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast