Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (PBNewby) page 4

PBNewby is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We are in southwest Florida, and when we visited the large super market we could not find full fat yogurt! Settled for 2%, but in the whole large section of yogurts there was not one container of full fat yogurt.

I also wanted to mention that I've had a couple slices of pumpkin pie, but left the crust behind. Seems silly, since I can taste the sugar in the pumpkin mix, so I know it is there, but I'm hoping that leaving some starches behind will help me a little bit!

Still no scale, and not much working out, but this is a vacation, after all.

(How's that for an excuse?)

;-)

Well, we're back home from the birthday trip to Florida and the dust has settled. It was surely a fun time seeing everyone again (hadn't seen them in 10 years!), but now it is time to return to the primal way of life. It wasn't that I had a ton of sugar and other "bad" foods, but I did manage to stray far enough away from eating, and being, primal to gain some weight (and probably lose some muscle). I stayed away from bread, but fell victim to handfuls of cookies, chocolate cake with ice cream, plenty of champagne, and I did not really do much exercise (unless laying on the beach counts!).

The results from this morning show that I ended up gaining 1.75 lbs, which I don't think is too bad. And I did 8 consecutive chin-ups this morning (when I left I could do 10). So, all in all, not a bad run, but now it is time to get back to living the good life!

I wish everyone a happy new year! and look forward to a healthy 2013.

Hello and Happy New Year!

Today is Jan 3rd, which means it is a measurement day!

The past month has been quite uneventful except for the holiday week in Florida which, by all accounts, was somewhat of a difficult time for weight loss and exercise. The charts show that, for sure!

Measurements on Oct 3:
    weight: 80.9kg (178)
    belly: 40"
    biceps 12.5"
    chest: 42"

Measurements on Nov 3:
    weight: 77.8kg (171)
    belly: 38"
    biceps 13"
    chest: 43"

Measurements on Dec 3:
    weight: 74.4kg (164)
    belly: 36.5"
    biceps 12"
    chest: 43"

Measurements on Jan 3:
    weight: 74.9kg (165)
    belly: 36.5"
    biceps 12.5"
    chest: 42"

Total lost in 12 weeks: 13 lbs (+1 pound over the past month)

All in all, not a bad month, but not one where I lost weight or gained much muscle.

The chart below shows my weight loss over the entire period. I threw in some trend lines in to show how the weight loss tapered off over the past 5 weeks or so. The steep portion on the left is where I was losing 2 pounds per week. Then it went to around one pound per week, and now, with the Holiday week, I've gained a bit. It seems I have settled in right around 165 lbs. I don't mind this, it is a comfortable weight; and if I can continue to exercise, I hope to get my body fat down a bit more. Would love to lose this mini spare-tire that I carry around.

Here's the chart:

Last edited by PBNewby; 01-03-2013 at 06:04 AM.

Wanted to mention that I woke up around 3:30a this morning and couldn't fall back to sleep. I believe it was because I was hungry. Yesterday was a bit weird because I wasn't really hungry until 4p or so, and I really didn't eat that much...three our four coffee lattes with about 150g coconut milk each (a lot, I know), two dates, an ounce or so of almonds, about 100-125g of broccoli, and a bacon cheeseburger with guacamole (no bread, or fries). Water to drink. It has been a long time since this happened (waking early), but I gotta hope it was hunger. No pains, just woke up and laid there for 1.5 hours anticipating the alarm. Once I did get up and shower, I fixed myself some bacon, eggs, broccoli, and cheese. Had water to drink. Will see how the day goes.

Without my weekly food logs, I don't have much to write about. So I thought I'd say 'hi' and point out that I haven't done much exercise because it is winter and the temperature is near or below freezing most days. Still staying away from bread and rice and pasta and potatoes. Hanging close to 165 lbs and looking to improve my percentage fat numbers.

Checking in at 75kg (165lbs). Was at 10 chin-ups four days ago when I last did them. So, not much progress in any area. Started logging my exercises daily, but didn't do much since the 9th. Winter is sure a drag on me since it has been so cold. Hoping the weather goes back above freezing so I can work/go outside.
    Last edited by PBNewby; 01-13-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Well, the slacking paid off...today I could only do 5 chin-ups. Granted that was fully clothed, with jacket and boots, but it does seem to indicate that I lost some strength. Hoping to get back into it tomorrow!
    Began Primal Living: 25 Sep 2012
    Starting Weight: 82kg (180 lbs) - Lost 30 lbs since going Primal!

"I do not eat enough carbs to justify eating low-fat."
    "Have some bread with your bread, pasta, bread, and HFCS." - Unicorn
    "I also walk my dog twice a day now instead of paying someone else to do it." - IronGirl
    "Tell me you're not weak minded enough to be outsmarted by a donut?" - not on the rug

Two sets of 8 chin-ups today, and I walked on the treadmill for the first time ever. Certainly way too cold outside for walking, but the treadmill worked OK. I did it barefoot, so the soles of my feet are stinging and sore, ooof! Walked about 1.125 miles in 20 mins to try and keep my pulse at 120. Wanted a bit higher pulse, but my feet couldn't take more speed. Hoping to make this a part of my regiment, after the feet recover, of course! Trying to keep my pulse in the fat-burning range.

Primal Primate is offline Senior Member
    Hi PBNewby,
    Great journal - thanks for sharing it. The Florida vacation sounded fun - got me itching to head to warmer climate as Albert is super cold this time of year. Keep up the great work!
    Cheers
    “There are only two options regarding commitment, You’re either in or your out. There’s no such thing as life in between.” – Anonymous

"Das Beste oder nichts" - Gottlieb Wilhelm Daimler

Hi Dan, thanks for stopping by. Florida sure was a nice break from winter in the plains/rockies near Denver. Not sure about you, but we're having another of our dreaded "dry winters", cold, but not much snow yet. I don't mind the cold of winter, but I sure do appreciate snow and if it is going to be cold I prefer that we get snow. Last year's ski season was brutal in that we barely rcvd any snow. The ski season ended quite early for us. Here's hoping for a wet February!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast