Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19

Thread: Should I worry about my TC?

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252

    Should I worry about my TC?

    I keep hearing that TC is meaningless but yet I am told that I should eat more food with cholesterol in order to increase my TC. Here are my numbers. Can someone tell me whether I should worry about these numers?

    TC 130
    HDL 62
    TRIGLYCERIDES 65
    LDL 55
    NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 68

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    I'd say yes and no.

    No, if your cholesterol is within relatively normal ranges, don't worry about it. However, primal eating and living as advocated by Mark seems to point to slightly different "normal and healthy" ranges than CW would tell you. Tends to be higher.

    Yes if you are at the extremes, that is, extremely high, or even MORE dangerous, extremely low. But again, these numbers are changed a bit from the CW wisdom because primal seems to advocate higher overall levels as being healthy and safe.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'd say yes and no.

    No, if your cholesterol is within relatively normal ranges, don't worry about it. However, primal eating and living as advocated by Mark seems to point to slightly different "normal and healthy" ranges than CW would tell you. Tends to be higher.

    Yes if you are at the extremes, that is, extremely high, or even MORE dangerous, extremely low. But again, these numbers are changed a bit from the CW wisdom because primal seems to advocate higher overall levels as being healthy and safe.
    Would you say that my numbers are within relatively normal ranges not according to CW?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    I'd definitely say you are on the low end of the spectrum. But no doctor who is indoctrinated to the CW way of nutrition would ever raise an alarm because they would not know otherwise. To such a doctor, you numbers would be great!

    Just remember, Mark and others have pointed to studies that show that women with cholesterol levels over 200 seem to live longer lives. It's ok if you choose not to follow this advice, because that's all it was ever intended to be. It is not some God-given primal law.

    I would say that over 275 is definitely a high number to worry about. But it gets trickier when trying to determine a healthy "low-range" number.

    Just remember the term "advice" and determine for yourself where your stance/goals are.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'd definitely say you are on the low end of the spectrum. But no doctor who is indoctrinated to the CW way of nutrition would ever raise an alarm because they would not know otherwise. To such a doctor, you numbers would be great!

    Just remember, Mark and others have pointed to studies that show that women with cholesterol levels over 200 seem to live longer lives. It's ok if you choose not to follow this advice, because that's all it was ever intended to be. It is not some God-given primal law.

    I would say that over 275 is definitely a high number to worry about. But it gets trickier when trying to determine a healthy "low-range" number.

    Just remember the term "advice" and determine for yourself where your stance/goals are.
    Thank you for your advice. I am not having any health issues so I am going to just conclude that my numbers are fine. I am going to look for these studies, would you happen to have any links handy?

  6. #6
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiova...gh-cholesterol

    A general article on the benefits of having a higher cholesterol level.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiova...gh-cholesterol

    A general article on the benefits of having a higher cholesterol level.
    THis one doesn't open

  8. #8
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    THis one doesn't open
    Are you sure? I just clicked the link and it opened PERFECTLY for me. Try a different browser maybe? Or copy and paste the link?

  9. #9
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    3,913
    Mark Hyman, MD: Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol-Lowering Medication

    Pay particular attention to the middle section where then author talks about how low cholesterol levels might be bad for women.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    252
    Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    Mark Hyman, MD: Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol-Lowering Medication

    Pay particular attention to the middle section where then author talks about how low cholesterol levels might be bad for women.
    I am not on statins. He says that there is a lower risk of heart disease in older people. I don't fall into that category.
    This whole article questions statins, which doesn't apply to me.
    Thanks for the link though.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •