Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should I worry about my TC? page

KathyH is offline Senior Member

Should I worry about my TC?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I keep hearing that TC is meaningless but yet I am told that I should eat more food with cholesterol in order to increase my TC. Here are my numbers. Can someone tell me whether I should worry about these numers?

TC 130
    HDL 62
    TRIGLYCERIDES 65
    LDL 55
    NON-HDL CHOLESTEROL 68

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd say yes and no.

No, if your cholesterol is within relatively normal ranges, don't worry about it. However, primal eating and living as advocated by Mark seems to point to slightly different "normal and healthy" ranges than CW would tell you. Tends to be higher.

Yes if you are at the extremes, that is, extremely high, or even MORE dangerous, extremely low. But again, these numbers are changed a bit from the CW wisdom because primal seems to advocate higher overall levels as being healthy and safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'd say yes and no.

No, if your cholesterol is within relatively normal ranges, don't worry about it. However, primal eating and living as advocated by Mark seems to point to slightly different "normal and healthy" ranges than CW would tell you. Tends to be higher.

Yes if you are at the extremes, that is, extremely high, or even MORE dangerous, extremely low. But again, these numbers are changed a bit from the CW wisdom because primal seems to advocate higher overall levels as being healthy and safe.
    Would you say that my numbers are within relatively normal ranges not according to CW?

I'd definitely say you are on the low end of the spectrum. But no doctor who is indoctrinated to the CW way of nutrition would ever raise an alarm because they would not know otherwise. To such a doctor, you numbers would be great!

Just remember, Mark and others have pointed to studies that show that women with cholesterol levels over 200 seem to live longer lives. It's ok if you choose not to follow this advice, because that's all it was ever intended to be. It is not some God-given primal law.

I would say that over 275 is definitely a high number to worry about. But it gets trickier when trying to determine a healthy "low-range" number.

Just remember the term "advice" and determine for yourself where your stance/goals are.

Quote Originally Posted by Drumroll View Post
    I'd definitely say you are on the low end of the spectrum. But no doctor who is indoctrinated to the CW way of nutrition would ever raise an alarm because they would not know otherwise. To such a doctor, you numbers would be great!

Just remember, Mark and others have pointed to studies that show that women with cholesterol levels over 200 seem to live longer lives. It's ok if you choose not to follow this advice, because that's all it was ever intended to be. It is not some God-given primal law.

I would say that over 275 is definitely a high number to worry about. But it gets trickier when trying to determine a healthy "low-range" number.

Just remember the term "advice" and determine for yourself where your stance/goals are.
    Thank you for your advice. I am not having any health issues so I am going to just conclude that my numbers are fine. I am going to look for these studies, would you happen to have any links handy?

Mark Hyman, MD: Why Women Should Stop Their Cholesterol-Lowering Medication

Pay particular attention to the middle section where then author talks about how low cholesterol levels might be bad for women.

http://www.westonaprice.org/cardiova...gh-cholesterol

A general article on the benefits of having a higher cholesterol level.

High Cholesterol Causes Heart Disease?* Truth Revealed!

It's a little alarmist, yes, but the information is solid.

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    Your tiglicerides are way to high...you may die tomorrow.

Joking but it would be nice to see your HDL higher than your triglicerides.

Was LDL measured or calculated?
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Timthetaco Guest
    If you're young and don't have any other risk factors for heart disease, I wouldn't worry about it much. If you're curious about your risk of atherosclerosis, you could get an NMR for a precise LDL particle count. The general consensus seems to be that under 1000 is where you want to be.

Ignore the fear mongering about low cholesterol. Epidemiology doesn't prove anything, even if it agrees with us.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast