Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    https://vitamindcouncil.zrtlab.com/
    Here's a home test, costs $65.00.

DavidBrennan is offline Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ferti View Post
    https://vitamindcouncil.zrtlab.com/
    Here's a home test, costs $65.00.
    Thanks for the link, but I cannot afford $65 for a disposable test which can be used only once. (Honestly, the way my finances are at this stage, I couldn't afford $65 for a test which worked forever, but having it be useful only once makes it a total non-starter.)

I hope that some others might be able to consider purchasing this (or other) tests, though.

(And I'd still like to know whether that alternative, "E" form of Vitamin D3 is harmful or merely not as good as the "Z" form. I'll look into it online if nobody else knows.)
    Last edited by DavidBrennan; 10-12-2012 at 08:13 PM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    I cannot afford $65 for a disposable test which can be used only once. (Honestly, the way my finances are at this stage, I couldn't afford $65 for a test which worked forever
    Get out into some sunlight then. At present I don't think any government has found a way to tax it in that form.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    i live in new england and work indoors. i have been tested and was found low, even after supplementing at 5000 ius per day for 3 months prior to the test. 3 months more of taking 10,000 ius per day and i am still low. improved, but not yet within a safe range.

imho, gov't recs are way too low for most people, most of whom are deficient. then again, i've pretty much stopped paying any attention to gov't rec's for health and wellness.

the addition of supplemental d coincides with other more primal fine-tuning of my diet and i do feel much MUCH better than i did last year at this time. is it strictly from the d? probably not, but it's been a piece of the solution so i see no reason to dismiss it.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

Ferti is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    Get out into some sunlight then. At present I don't think any government has found a way to tax it in that form.
    I think after Octoberish I can no longer obtain vitamin d from the sun because of it's angle. Michigan would be worse than me.
    There's a nice website on vitamin D Vitamin D Council > Information on Vitamin D, Vitamin D Deficiency and Vitamin D Toxicity

Dirlot is online now Senior Member
    BTW there are more than 5 senses.

In one of Cordain's books he says that it is best to get vit D from being outdoors those living in Northern areas supplement 2000 international units in winter
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

lissee is offline Senior Member
    I use the Carlson D3 10k pills, and love them. Buy Carlson Vitamin D3 10000 IU, softgels & More | drugstore.com

A year ago I had my vitamin D levels checked I was very low! (I believe it was 15-18? Also, this was after having lived for 15 months in the Tropics but not spending very much time outdoors) anyway, after a year of consistently taking 10k a day (with a couple months off when I had to restock, and then days off when I forgot to take it) I'm finally up to 73! Happy day.

I know that low Vitamin D has a huge effect on the body's ability to fight disease and other issues, and so yes, I would say that Vit D supplementation is worth is. Especially for those of us who do not spend time in the sun daily.

I recommend watching Dr. Mercola's 7-8 part youtube series (it's 7 parts, but then he added a supplemental post) about Vitamin D. Very much worth the watch. Not all affects are immediate. And it sometimes takes us a long time to heal.

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Started supplementing a couple of years ago due to major depression during winter. Lab test showed my level in the teens. I mainly supplement from October through March. It's made all the difference for me.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    I suffer from Seasonal Affective Disorder and had my low D levels confirmed with blood tests. 6+ months of high supplementation of D3 in liquid form (10,000IU daily) brought me up to a normal level (though low for summertime). It really depends on the state of your gut, I believe. All micronutrients need to be working in concert for proper absorption. I felt a change within a couple weeks of high supplementation last Winter, even though my levels were still low.

If you don't feel a difference, it's possible you don't need it, but you could try a lower maintenance dose to make sure you're getting enough if you don't get outside often, until you can get tested. Perhaps foolish, but I just use common sense with stuff like this, and don't really care about the tests and medical issues and plethora of articles there are out there debating the issue.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

faithy22 is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by DavidBrennan View Post
    Thanks for the research. I will accept this (but be open to any counter evidence that might come along). Just to be clear, you're saying that the less ideal "E" form of Vitamin D is not as good nor as common as the Z form....but it's also not harmful to the body, is it? If you're one of the unlucky few who gets it, are there any bad aspects of it?

(And I'll definitely be adding the word, "stereoisomers" to my vocabulary. I can't wait to find a conversation I can inject that into to show that I'm smart!)
    I did a little more digging and found out that the Z isomer degrades to the E isomer upon exposure to sunlight (it does this in our skin). I don't have access to the journals that talk about this, so I'm not sure what role the E isomer plays in our bodies, but my takeaway would be to make sure you keep your supplements away from direct sunlight.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast