Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to convince the wife of the harmful effect of wheat?

Hybrid View

Unhappy How to convince the wife of the harmful effect of wheat?

For the past couple years, I have been convinced about the effectiveness of the primal way of eating and exercise. My wife is unconvinced. We have gotten into plenty of arguments about it. I try and remain calm and rational, not fighting but just presenting the evidence. She has no interest in this whatsoever and says she doesn't care.

I have gotten her to agree to read one book about the subject of wheat being bad for you. I wanted to get the opinion of the posters here as to which one I should buy for her. I'm leaning towards Wheat Belly, but if anyone has any other ideas I'd love to hear what you think.

Please keep in mind, the book should be about the affect of wheat on the diet in particular, not a normal primal overview.
    Last edited by Iucounu; 10-11-2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: typo

I would recommend Wheat Belly, for sure. I read it before I had heard of paleo/primal (was visiting my parents, and I was bored and it was lying there... so I didn't go into it with any particular intentions) and it really made me think about what I was eating, inspired me to cut out wheat for a couple weeks to see the effects. I did start eating wheat again after that (albeit in lower quantities), despite the positive results - I just wasn't committed enough to stick with it, but it planted the seed for sure, so when I started into the whole primal thing, I already had a knowledge basis for the grain elimination element.

It's great that you've got here willing to at least become more informed on the issue... and don't give up hope if it doesn't inspire immediate change! There are a lot of years of wheat addiction and CW to overcome here

Wheat Belly IS great.

Also this: The Grain Manifesto | Whole9 | Let us change your life.

Primal/Paleo books often have large sections devoted to the concept, so I wouldn't discount them. I really liked It Starts With Food by the Whole9 people.

Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

I'll give you a different approach. Don't. Why do you feel the need to push your agenda on someone else? You said you have been trying for "a couple of years", stop banging your head against a wall. She does not want to listen. Lead by example, live a clean life and hope that she might follow. The old saying appplies.... "You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make them drink". Self discovery is just that, SELF. She needs to find it herself.

I wish my wife would do it to, she hasn't, but she has noticed my weight loss, ability to stick to goals, and my new found energy. I will be ready for the day she comes to me and says "tell me about that wheat thing again?" Until then, I want harmony in the house.......
    I Kettlebell therefore I am.

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    I'll give you a different approach. Don't. Why do you feel the need to push your agenda on someone else? You said you have been trying for "a couple of years", stop banging your head against a wall. She does not want to listen.
    I would tend to agree with you, but the problem is now that she is pregnant with our first child and this is really more about what approach we will be taking with her nutrition. It has been a long, long time since I attempted to convert the wife.

Quote Originally Posted by Iucounu View Post
    I would tend to agree with you, but the problem is now that she is pregnant with our first child and this is really more about what approach we will be taking with her nutrition. It has been a long, long time since I attempted to convert the wife.
    I hear you brother, and I understand where you are coming from, but by the laws of our land, it's not your child yet..... Once the little thing hatches, you get some say on how you are going to raise your child, but while it's in the oven, she has total control.

As someone said in an earlier post, the best thing for a kid is two parents getting along. Being a Dad rocks, you will have years and years to influence your kids and make sure they make the right decisions in life and that includes what they eat.

Since going Primal and dropping all my weight, my 14 year old daughter has become very proud of her Dad, last night, I was lazy and only cooked steak and a salad. My daughter asked, where were all the veggies.....

You will have plenty of time to make sure your kids walk down the right path, that will be your number one job for the rest of your life...

Edit: Please tell me you are going to let your kids have birthday cake, not some paleo fake wheat cake... Don't ever forget Mark's 80 20 rules.... A little cake once in a while will not hurt (disclaimer: unless of course they have some reallly bad gluten allergies)......
    Last edited by TorMag; 10-12-2012 at 05:57 AM.

My Journal
    My Journal

Quote Originally Posted by TorMag View Post
    Edit: Please tell me you are going to let your kids have birthday cake, not some paleo fake wheat cake... Don't ever forget Mark's 80 20 rules.... A little cake once in a while will not hurt (disclaimer: unless of course they have some reallly bad gluten allergies)......
    Haha, no! I'm totally cool with bad foods every once in a while as a treat.

I guess my issue is that she responds to new information in a totally different way than I would. If she were to approach me with a concern, and mention she had read some interesting research that had massive health implications, I would immediately look into it and come to a conclusion. I would not just shrug and dismiss it and claim I didn't care. That mindset is so foreign to my own that that's really what is bothering me I suppose. If she were, say, a die-hard vegan at least she would have put some effort into forming an opinion.

I guess my issue is that she responds to new information in a totally different way than I would. If she were to approach me with a concern, and mention she had read some interesting research that had massive health implications, I would immediately look into it and come to a conclusion. I would not just shrug and dismiss it and claim I didn't care. That mindset is so foreign to my own that that's really what is bothering me I suppose. If she were, say, a die-hard vegan at least she would have put some effort into forming an opinion.
    Yes, but you are a dude!!!!!!

My Journal
    My Journal

This is exactly what I was thinking. If my husband has a serious concern I listen to him, he does the same with me. I am the one who found the paleo diet, he didn't want to read the books but he was willing to listen and give it a try. It also helped that I cooked tasty meals. Cooking for your wife would be a big plus. Perhaps having an attractive paleo cookbook lying around might help too. Paleo Comfort Foods - Paleo Food Cookbook and Recipes has great pictures.

But your wife's resistance to new ideas is still a concern. You are on a journey (becoming a parent) where you will encounter so many things that you will have to decide on as a couple. This is new territory and that means new information. My husband and I read so many books about pregnancy, birthing and parenting the one thing we didn't know about and both wish we had is the paleo diet. I can understand why you would want to share what you've learned with her.