Thread: Primal Journal - BearsBeetsBG page

BearsBeetsBG is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - BearsBeetsBG

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Time to get started, I suppose.

I'm 32, at least 60 lbs overweight, have 2 toddler-aged children, work full-time outside my house, and have been feeling tired ALL the time for many, many years.

I first learned about primal and paleo just about a month ago. I read Why We Get Fat and It Starts With Food and looked at as many Paleo/Primal blogs as I could find. I found Mark's Daily Apple and I read as much as I could.

I went home and talked to my hubby about all this, and I was still mulling it all around in my head. He said "I'll eat whatever you want." (Which I pretty much knew would be his answer - I do all the cooking and food shopping - so unless he comes along he's subject to whatever I bring home). So I planned a week's worth of dinners that met my needs. Then I did another week of dinners. Then I added breakfasts. Then a week later I added lunches. (My breakfasts and lunches - not his. He still eats cereal for breakfast, and grabs some food on the road for lunch.)

In one month, I'm down 8 lbs, feeling less tired and sluggish during the day, not hungry between meals most days, my digestive system likes me better, and overall - I'm just feeling a lot better.

My husband can tell, and he's doing his best to support me... without joining me (for now). He eats whatever I make for dinner, but sometimes still buys himself ice cream or candy and eats it for dessert after I go to bed.

(I actually just bought the Primal Blueprint 21-day total body transformation and I'm going to read it and ask my hubby to join me... we'll see how that goes)

My hardest nights are Sundays, Thursdays, and Wednesdays.

On Sunday and Thursday we take the kids and eat at our parents houses for dinner. They don't really know I'm doing this yet. My mom knows I'm doing something because she noticed the weight loss. Only DH knows the details of how I'm eating (and I'm not sure he remembers all the details all the time).

They plan and cook the meals. I eat the best I can from what's provided. I can usually have some sort of meat or fish, and at my parents there is almost always salad and/or a veggie to eat. At my in-laws, there is sometimes only meat and potatoes. I do my best. They're probably wondering why I'm eating so much meat, lol.

On Wednesday nights 3 of my friends come over and we all contribute to dinner. Each week I ask for dinner ideas, and then everyone votes. I've been trying to veto suggestions like French Toast, and spaghetti and garlic bread, in favor of meat on the grill and roasted veggies... but this will only work for a little while longer before they realize something's up. I'm gonna have to come clean eventually.

I don't like too much attention. I don't like when everything is about me. I'm going to have to get over that if I want to be able to eat better at these three dinners a week.

Although I've been eating this way for most of the last month, I'll start my journal today and move forward from here.

Day 1

So far today...

Breakfast: Roasted chicken breast, 1/2 an avocado, tomato slices, coffee w/ half & half.

Lunch: 3 eggs cooked in coconut oil, plus some sauteed zucchini (probably also cooked in coconut oil).

Took a short walk on my break at work (walked with my coworkers on their trip to Starbucks.) I do that almost every workday... only about 15 minutes of walking, but it gets me out of the office.

I'm lucky I work only 1/2 mile from my house, so I can go home and have lunch there when I don't leave myself time to pack it in the morning.

Dinner is probably leftovers. My typical Thursday night dinner at the in-laws has been cancelled so we'll likely eat leftover pork roast, sauteed summer squashes, and a salad w/ avocados, bell peppers, tomatoes. Maybe I'll crisp up the pork in some coconut oil (like carnitas) and season it with chili powder and cumin and make it into more of a taco salad. We'll see

Day 2

Slept from 9:45 last night until 7:00 this morning. Fantastic. Only woke up once because my husband left the thermostat up too high and it was getting too warm.

Dinner last night was not the pork roast leftovers I had been hoping for. I forgot how old those were, and when I opened the container it just didn't smell right. So we had roasted Brussels sprouts and leftover baby back ribs from his dads house. Sauce was not primal, but it was delicious.

Breakfast: 3 eggs, zucchini, all cooked in coconut oil. Tomato slices and avocado.
    ~Jen~

OSW (1/6/12) - 230
    PSW (9/10/12) - 224
    CW (12/5/12) - 208
    GW - 160

Yesterday's food:
    B- 3 eggs, zucchini, red bell pepper and onion, avocado
    L- wasn't hungry. Had some coffee with cream.
    S- a few macadamia nuts
    D- salmon with a quick cherry tomato salad on top, and spaghetti squash with onion, bell pepper, and Swiss chard all cooked in olive oil and butter, and a little chicken broth. Freakin delicious.

Tonight hubby and I are going out to celebrate our anniversary. The location is a surprise. I'm not going to worry too much about the food choices. I'm just going to enjoy myself.

Breakfast today was 3 eggs over easy and the leftover spaghetti squash & veggies from last night.
    Coffee and cream.

Lunch is TBD. Have to feed the kids and get them down for a nap, then I'll feed myself.
    ~Jen~

OSW (1/6/12) - 230
    PSW (9/10/12) - 224
    CW (12/5/12) - 208
    GW - 160

Journaling + me = not a good match

I don't think I'm ready to keep up a journal for this. I'm doing fine with my diet, and plan on adding time for fitness routines, and going for walks, and playing with my kids, etc... I just don't feel like writing about it right now.

I'm going to put this on hold. I'll be back to pick it up later, if I ever get the urge.
    ~Jen~

OSW (1/6/12) - 230
    PSW (9/10/12) - 224
    CW (12/5/12) - 208
    GW - 160