Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Maintaining Weight Loss on PB page

JayGee is offline Member

Maintaining Weight Loss on PB

Primal Fuel
    I reached my goal weight about two weeks ago (yay me!) so I raised my carbs to the "effortless maintenance" level of 100-150. I weighed myself this morning and, even with the higher carbs, have lost another 2 pounds since I last weighed in 10 days ago. Do I keep adding more carbs? More fat? More protein? I am wondering how to find a place where I am neither gaining nor losing anymore.

Any tips from people who have reached their goal and stayed there successfully?

jakey is offline Senior Member
    more calories. the carb thing could work, if you're just raising total calories by adding carbs on top of your normal load of food. if you did it with fat or protein in isocaloric amounts, it would also work.

i love mark, but the carb curve is the most broscience-y crap he puts out there. seriously. if you eat primally, and aren't packing away white rice with every meal, it's pretty hard to go 'high carb' per say, and your carb count is not something you should really worry about.

ezeflier is offline Member
    One data point does not a trend make.. I realize you may have previous data, but that was before adjusting the carbs.

And two pounds doesn't seem like a big change.

I'd wait another few days / week and see how things are going.

Matt-

emmie is offline Senior Member
    If you're still losing, you're not eating enough food. However, as someone who has been struggling to maintain a significant weight loss for a while, be careful as you add to your menu or portions. The different between the level you are eating when you get to your goal weight and the level of eating to maintain that weight is often rather small--especially in smaller women (I'm only 5'2").

Just add a little each week and see if your weight stabilizes. When it does, you know you've reached "maintenance level" and should continue eating at that level to maintain your weight.

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    I am in the maintenance stage now.

It is a bizarre place to be in because you don't want to go back to your old self yet the lessons you have learnt along the way make it almost impossible to overeat. I am actually tracking at the moment to make sure I am eating enough and at the moment that includes coffee with ghee and cream in the morning to get my intake up as I find it really hard to eat enough now.

I am also training differently now. Much heavier weights and less reps. I am also eating more carbs but monitoring this as I don't want to get carried away and my sweetspot of Carbs seems to be about 100g. Anything over 200g and I feel lethargic unless I have trained before.

I should also have mentioned I do IF until 12/1 pm each day and chuck in 1 or 2 24 hour fasts each week for health rather than weight loss.

Just my experience anyway.
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

nixxy is offline Senior Member
    Don't mind me, just hanging out over here drooling imagining what it must be like to reach goal weight.
    Current weight lost: 82.9lb (37.6kg)

Current PRs:
    Bench: 45kg/99lb
    Squat: 100kg/220lb
    Deadlift: 120kg/265lb

My blog
    My journal

AdamC29 is offline Senior Member
    Nixxy,

Just read your journal.

amazing progress and you will each your goal in absolutely no time!

this is after all a lifetime decision and not a fad
    2010 - 5,11 and 101KG

2012 - 5,11 and 77KG

Train hard, eat well and love life

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by nixxy View Post
    Don't mind me, just hanging out over here drooling imagining what it must be like to reach goal weight.
    I hear ya

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    i love mark, but the carb curve is the most broscience-y crap he puts out there. seriously. if you eat primally, and aren't packing away white rice with every meal, it's pretty hard to go 'high carb' per say, and your carb count is not something you should really worry about.
    Seems like the carbs are not what makes the difference for me. I can be low, like 25, or I can be high like 225 (good primal carbs) but for me, it's in the fat. I can see over the last 10 months that weight loss slows when I added the fat and I can see where I actually start to gain. And unfortunately that is why I am still at it here 10 months later. I was keeping my fats too high because I thought that is what I was suppose to do and I was only worried about keeping my carbs in check. I was afraid to go back to what was working - more carbs w/lower fat.

That may change but for now it would seem that I would need to watch the fat. Or maybe I will find that it is just a calorie thing. But n=1 so far, with lows and highs of calories & carbs & fat all over the place, as fat goes up regardless of where the calories & carbs fall, weight loss slows to a point of stop then gain.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

tcb
    tcb is offline Senior Member
    I had to take a bit of time and figure out how much exactly I had been eating (food log) and adjust to quit losing weight. Wound up adding about 500 calories a day because it had become obvious that I was losing a lot of muscle along with fat.. but after a couple of weeks of monitoring my intake, it became old hat. I've been within a couple pounds +/- since February. I didn't add carbs specifically, i just ate more of what I had been eating.

Of course I am now food logging again in my attempts to get leaner via leangains.. but that is another story all together.
    Last edited by tcb; 10-12-2012 at 10:21 AM.

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by JayGee View Post
    I reached my goal weight
    Well done you! However, your goal weight may not be your Primal Ideal. When I get down to what I think of as my goal now, I'll just go on to a maintenance amount of calories and see what happens. Not bothered too much about weight as long as I feel and look good.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast