Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Differences and Similarities Between Sissons, Cordain and Wolf page

Neely is offline Member

Differences and Similarities Between Sissons, Cordain and Wolf

Shop Now
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but what are the main differences, if any, between Mark Sissons, Loren Cordain and Robb Wolf's paleo/primal ideas? Am I correct in thinking these are the three main paleo writers?

I've only been paleo for about 6 weeks having found Mark's blog and then read two of Cordain's books and various other bits and pieces. Has anyone read all from all three authors?

Thanks.

Karma is offline Senior Member
    The search feature at the top right corner of the home page is your friend.

Put in "paleo differences" and see what pops up. Discussed at length often. (here is page 1 from the results)

About 4,670 results (0.22 seconds)

Primal vs. paleo differences | Mark's Daily Apple Health and Fitness ...
    Hey Guys, New to the forum, been creepin mdh for a few days. A lot of great info and inspiring stories! My main question is what is the ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread60575.html
    What are the differences between Primal and Robb Wolf's Paleo ...
    I'm doing my research before trying something akin to The Paleo Solution or the Primal Blueprint. I understand the basics of the plans, but what ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44125.html
    Is there a difference between Primal and Paleo? | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    Maybe this has been asked a thousand times but I did a search and could not find it. I assume it is just a name thing? Or is primal more of a.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread29676.html
    differences between primal and cordain's paleo | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    So, I read the Paleo diet for the first time yesterday. I was a little surprised at how big some of the differences are between paleo and primal.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread15960.html
    Differences Between PB & Paleo/Caveman? | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    What are or are there any real differences, between eating according to PB & Paleo/Caveman. I've read PB and I've read a little about Paleo ...
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47410.html

What is the difference between the paleo and primal diets? | Mark's ...
    I thought that the Paleo diet was part of Primal Living, but I am reading Mark's book, and he says that "the Paleo diet is probably as close to.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34245.html
    Trying to understand the differences between Primal and Paleo ...
    I stumbled upon the Primal Diet via a link for someone who was doing the Paleo diet. Both diets look similar and both seem to be a bit more ...
    https://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34998.html
    what the difference between paleo and primal? | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    I'm just wondering because I was just reading the Whole 9 site and Free the Animal and it says Paleo but do they have their own guidlines or is ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread47417.html
    Paleo / Primal Blueprint--can anyone summarize the difference ...
    Is there a difference between Paleo and Primal Blueprint? I am having trouble decifering...they seem the same to me, but want to be sure.
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread40686.html
    Paleo/Primal/Low Carb or all 3 of the above? | Mark's Daily Apple ...
    At the risk of sounding dumb, I'm interested in what would be the differences between low carb/paleo/primal and the logic behind the ...
    www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33840.html

Neely is offline Member
    Thanks a lot, sorry for repeating old ground (I couldn't find the search button.)

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    I'm sorry if this question has been asked before but what are the main differences, if any, between Mark Sissons, Loren Cordain and Robb Wolf's paleo/primal ideas? Am I correct in thinking these are the three main paleo writers?
    Mark's is certainly the most popular paleo blog in the world; Professor Cordain is at the heart of the movement in research terms; and Robb probably has the best-selling paleo book.

I've only been paleo for about 6 weeks having found Mark's blog and then read two of Cordain's books and various other bits and pieces.
    This is good, if you missed it:

http://www.direct-ms.org/pdf/Evoluti...al%20Sword.pdf

And here's a video interview with Cordain:

One thing that video brings out is that Cordain's views on several matters have changed over time. I think this is going to be true of anyone. That might make "differences" a moving target.

I guess the biggest continuing difference is that Mark tends towards low-carb and even has an interest in ketogenic diets, whereas Loren Cordain recommends around 22% to 40% of calories as carbohydrate (and I don't think he's ever discussed ketosis). At times Cordain seems deliberately to distance himself from the low-carb viewpoint -- you may have noticed him do this in The Paleo Diet -- and usually prefers to describe his diet as "high protein, low glycemic-index". I have wondered if he's trying to position his diet or to deflect criticism from the nutritional establishment, which is still fairly hostile to low-carb, but it's probably just that he believes, rightly or wrongly, that that's what the research points to. I could, however, wish he didn't keep repeating the phrase "fad low carb diets" in The Paleo Diet -- sure, they're probably not for everyone, (although for some they appear to be a necessity), but it comes across as a rhetorical trick and once it's been said, it doesn't really need repeating.

I don't know which you prefer, but The Paleo Answer seems a much solider and less rhetorical and repetitive book to me.

Neely is offline Member
    Thanks, yes I've seen that interview and various from Robb and Mark. (I have also read through most of those threads posted earlier and the links to articles so thanks for that as well).

I have read the first part of The Paleo Answer on kindle but was put off from reading the whole thing because of a few negative review/comments saying that it is not necessary to read them both, as they cover the same material, so I stuck with Cordain's Paleo Diet and Paleo for Athletes. (I was not happy with the latter simply because of it's recommendation of pasta and potatoes to boost carb levels? A complete contradiction from the first.)

Eating paleo via Cordain's recommendations is certainly working fine for me. I was certainly surprised by the inclusion of dairy and things like butter and cheese here. After being without dairy for while and having one with heavy with cheese, which didn't go done that well, I am quite happy to avoid it.

I have not missed anything non-paleo in the last 6 weeks apart from beer and chocolate. I've had very little beer and chocolate. The beer, even just two drinks, did not go down well so I will be rejecting that as well. The odd occasion I have had chocolate (twice I think) I wasn't met with any issues, so maybe I will allow a little chocolate back from time to time. I assume chocolate with Mark's version is not such a negative - I read yesterday that he has a little chocolate (and wine) most nights anyway. I suppose it is just all about what works for the individual as long as the core is there - that is no grains, (no legumes?) dairy seems fairly negotiable between all three, well a little less so with Cordain.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neely View Post
    Thanks, yes I've seen that interview and various from Robb and Mark. (I have also read through most of those threads posted earlier and the links to articles so thanks for that as well).

I have read the first part of The Paleo Answer on kindle but was put off from reading the whole thing because of a few negative review/comments saying that it is not necessary to read them both, as they cover the same material, so I stuck with Cordain's Paleo Diet and Paleo for Athletes.
    I don't think those reviewers were making accurate or fair criticism. Perhaps it's that their impressions were superficial -- his "message" might be taken to be something like "eat a high protein, low glycemic index diet", and that and a few other basic principles are always common, but The Paleo Answer has a lot of material not in the other and handles it in a different, and frequently deeper, way. It doesn't condescend so much as the first book does either. I wouldn't let anyone put you off it.

I have not missed anything non-paleo in the last 6 weeks apart from beer and chocolate. I've had very little beer and chocolate. The beer, even just two drinks, did not go down well so I will be rejecting that as well. The odd occasion I have had chocolate (twice I think) I wasn't met with any issues, so maybe I will allow a little chocolate back from time to time. I assume chocolate with Mark's version is not such a negative - I read yesterday that he has a little chocolate (and wine) most nights anyway. I suppose it is just all about what works for the individual as long as the core is there - that is no grains, (no legumes?) dairy seems fairly negotiable between all three, well a little less so with Cordain.
    What he counts as part of "a paleo diet" and what he does in practice might be at variance. He does mention having cheese in the fridge in The Paleo Answer and he has this concept of not always eating paleo -- just doing so 90% of the time -- built in. So he's "negotiable" up to a point, too.

I don't think anyone sees any harm in a little dark chocolate (70% cocoa or better). There's not very much sugar in it, and it has some antioxidants. Good chocolate is so intense in flavour that, providing you let it dissolve slowly in your mouth, it's satisfying enough that few people want more than a square or two.

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    I would actually suggest reading the Paleo Answer. There is a bit of repetition, but I actually liked it better than the Paleo Diet book.

For me, the main difference between Paleo and Primal is dairy. Paleo typically doesn't allow any dairy while Primal does. Other than that the differences seem rather miniscule.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I have the Paleo Answer. I preferred it to Mark's or Robb's books because it was more academic and had less of a "voice" or "personality" to it. Both Mark and Robb come off as diet books with an attempt to be entertaining, cute or funny. I haven't read any of Cordain's other books, but I appreciated that the Paleo Answer seemed sort of holistic and general, not geared toward any particular demographic.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    I would actually suggest reading the Paleo Answer. There is a bit of repetition, but I actually liked it better than the Paleo Diet book.

For me, the main difference between Paleo and Primal is dairy. Paleo typically doesn't allow any dairy while Primal does. Other than that the differences seem rather miniscule.

I havent read Cordain's books, bur having listened to a lot of Wolf's pdcasts and Cordain interviews, my biggest takeaways are that I believe that cordain originally recommended only lean meats and no dairy or salt, with the bulk of your fats to come from sources such as nuts, olive/macadamia/avocado oils, avocados or oily fish. However, his stance on avoiding saturated fat has changed, likewise with salt.

While Wolf is a disciple of Cordain, the main difference between his teachings and Sisson's are the way you start off your path to this way of eating. Mark pushes the 80/20 rule, whereas Robb prefers the cut out everything that could be an issue (grains, legumes, dairy, sugar, processed foods, booze, etc) for at least 30 days befor starting got add things back and seeing how they affect you. Robb has often Saunders that he personally eats along the primal guidelines... So no real difference at all in their end general prescription, just the best way to get there.

I guess another view could be that There is no "one" paleo, as it's a general term but as Mark came up with the primal blueprint it is whatever he says it is. Whether you take all of his advice or not is of course up to you :-)
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Owly is offline Senior Member
    Another difference is that Robb Wolf states that his approach is macronutrient agnostic, whereas Mark Sisson is more low carb oriented. I tend to lean more toward Wolf's stance than Sisson's on a lot of dietary stuff but like Mark's focus on overall lifestyle beyond nutrition.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast