Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Differences and Similarities Between Sissons, Cordain and Wolf page 2

Moochy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    Another difference is that Robb Wolf states that his approach is macronutrient agnostic, whereas Mark Sisson is more low carb oriented. I tend to lean more toward Wolf's stance than Sisson's on a lot of dietary stuff but like Mark's focus on overall lifestyle beyond nutrition.
    Mark has stated that his idea with being more liberal with Primal is to include as many people as possible. I have read Mark's books and Robb's and Cordain. All have something to offer. I myself follow Mark's recommendations but keep to the lower end of carb consumption due to Type II diabetes. It works for me. Robb essentially boils it down to just eat real food. You might know that the primal/paleo/low carb people are somewhat splintered. Paleo types tend to cringe and dismiss low carb advocates, Jimmy Moore for example. (Jimmy is cool no matter what his haters say). You might want to check another advocate, Kurt Harris MD. His site is still up though he no longers posts, another advocate of just eat real food. Lastly, Chris Kresser feels that Paleo is merely a template for people to find their way.
    Primal/Paleo is not for everyone, it's for those who have committed to understand.
    READ THE BOOK! ...as Robb Wolf says: "Trying to convince people to save their own ass will burn you out."

Vegetarians are the enemy of everything good and decent in the human spirit, and an affront to all I stand for -- the pure enjoyment of food. Anthony Bourdain

and yes, calories DO count my little piggies

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moochy View Post
    Mark has stated that his idea with being more liberal with Primal is to include as many people as possible. I have read Mark's books and Robb's and Cordain. All have something to offer. I myself follow Mark's recommendations but keep to the lower end of carb consumption due to Type II diabetes. It works for me.
    I think people can get to a pointt where that is what they HAVE to do.

Jack Kruse, who has been putting out some interesting stuff lately, thinks cell-signalling and magnesium are intimately involved with this. What I did know is that diabetics urinate magnesium like there's no tomorrow - can't hold onto it. Someone posted a link to some newly published work on this, and he pretty much says: what did I tell you? See my gnolls.org post. I hadn't and it's quite interesting. Now he's not low-carb - although some people in paleo have tried to claim he is - but he says you have to watch the context and everything else that can bear on insulin-resistance (like sleep, for example). So he thinks the problem begins with insulin resistance but doesn't end there. Once that really takes hold magnesium goes and that causes damage to a particular area of the brain. Once thaat's happened, you have to eat low carb.

Researchers-discover-mechanism-by-which-magnesium reduces cytokine production

I kind of like this explanation. It could certainly explain why hunter-gatherers could eat a relatively high proportion of carbohydrate -- so long as it wasn't high glycemic load stuff and so long as everything else about their lifestyle was in order. At the same time. I think that probably would be true of, say, Bushmen.

At the same time It would explain why someone like Jimmy just could not.

I just had not known that diabetics urinated out Mg like mad.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12