Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: My total cholesterol went from 146 to 217 in 4 months! page 4

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    magicmeri

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    She sure seems like a troll. Almost intentionally misinterpreting posts...

Kathy, on the (slight) offchance that you are actually want a genuine response rather than entertainment, I personally think that the ratios are much better indicators of health than TC levels. It's only when TC starts trending down to 0 that I would be concerned, since cholesterol is vital to your health.

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    So the aim for women is to get TC as high as possible?
    Yes, provided that you are maximising HDL, and minimising Trigs and LDL.

Break out the animal fats.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-11-2012 at 03:00 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    Who said that?

Oh, I see...you conveniently left out the "more likely" to die so that you could create a straw man....clever.
    OK. I didn't conveniently left it out, you are looking for problems in semantics and I just wanted to know if I should be concerned about low TC if the ratios are IDEAL according to the calculator.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Barefoot Gentile View Post
    Sooner or later you are going to hear horrible stories of how people's health is failing them from eating primal. How can eating animal fats be good for you on a daily basis!? This type of eating will soon be exposed just like the Atkins diet. I like the idea of cutting down on grains, bread, pasta, etc. But consuming a high dosage of fats will kill you. I have read a total of 4 threads in a week about people's cholesterol levels increasing.

And the worse part is people are making excuses saying its okay, this and that.
    You have any evidence that eating grass fed hormone free animal fat will kill you???? I have NEVER seen anything about that.

Considering every cell in your body needs and uses cholesterol it is hard to believe it is as bad as CW portrays. The body is not in the healthy habit of doing things to harm itself.

Anyone who has done any research knows there are different types of LDL some that are harmful (small and dense) and some that are good ( big and fluffy). Grains lower TC but promote small dense LDL, healthy animal fats increase TC but promote big and fluffy LDL.

CW as pushed to get recommended TC numbers lowered and it has not produced healthy bodies but it has not done any good because even though the grains lower numbers they promote bad LDL. Heck I have been primal almost a year and my numbers are awesome by CW standards and my ratios are even better by Primal standards

Don't let an increase in harmful LDL particles stop you from eating your stodgy pizza and tasteless pasta but I hope you don't mind a bit of drool as I tuck into my wild Bison, mounds of fresh veg dripping with butter - OOPS my LDL feels fluffier already.
    Last edited by Dirlot; 10-11-2012 at 05:59 PM.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by magicmerl View Post
    She sure seems like a troll. Almost intentionally misinterpreting posts...

Kathy, on the (slight) offchance that you are actually want a genuine response rather than entertainment, I personally think that the ratios are much better indicators of health than TC levels. It's only when TC starts trending down to 0 that I would be concerned, since cholesterol is vital to your health.

Yes, provided that you are maximising HDL, and minimising Trigs and LDL.

Break out the animal fats.
    Why do you have to call everyone a troll?
    I never asked about 0 cholesterol. I asked about what would be considered extreme low. Your response was "For women, TC is inversely related to all cause mortality. In other words, the lower your cholesterol is, the more likely you are to die."
    How is that answering my question?

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    How is it not? Seems he said eat more animal fats to improve your numbers. Not only is that an answer its a plan! Now get to work on that bacon!

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    You have any evidence that eating grass fed hormone free animal fat will kill you????
    In case you haven't recognized the foots MO...he alternates between troll and fake sincerity. Best to use your ignore button

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    I'd say your number is fine. If it CONTINUES to rise, maybe you have an issue going on, but I don't think, that, as it stands, you have anything to worry about.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Why do you have to call everyone a troll?
    Because it seems like you are asking questions for the purpose of shooting people down or nitpicking their responses.

I never asked about 0 cholesterol. I asked about what would be considered extreme low. Your response was "For women, TC is inversely related to all cause mortality. In other words, the lower your cholesterol is, the more likely you are to die."
    I already answered your question, if you were actually looking for the answer. So has Neckhammer. Ready for it? You're asking the wrong question.

Why are you bothering working out what the 'extremely low' threshold is? The only reason I can see is so you can modify your behaviour to be more healthy (right?). You don't need an arbitrary thresold for that. For you, more cholesterol=better health. So eat foods that are rich in cholesterol, and your cholesterol will go up.

That's the takeaway point that you seem to refuse to see, even when it's repeatedly explained to you.

Here's the link to the mortality U curve I was talking about. Here's the study that found womens mortality to be inversely related to TC. Work out for yourself what you think your low end TC threshold is. I personally would shoot for a TC > 200, whether man or woman. But I'm just some random on the internet, don't take what I'm saying as gospel. I'm not a public health body who has a mandate to tell people what thresholds are healthy for them. There's no 'official' public health value for an extremely low TC threshold, because CW thinking on cholesterol is half-baked at best, and thinks that the lower the cholesterol the better.
    Last edited by magicmerl; 10-11-2012 at 06:24 PM.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    How is it not? Seems he said eat more animal fats to improve your numbers. Not only is that an answer its a plan! Now get to work on that bacon!
    The calculator says my numbers are ideal, what do I need to improve?

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast