Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My total cholesterol went from 146 to 217 in 4 months! page 3

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Have you read Good Calories, Bad Calories or Why We Get Fat? If I recall correctly, 146 total cholesterol is low, and low cholesterol is a serious health risk, even more than high cholesterol. 217 is still within acceptable levels so I definitely wouldn't be alarmed. You're probably MORE healthy now.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    The reason I recommend "extreme ranges" is because cholesterol levels are next to useless in health determination. Its like asking if you should have me count the threads in your shoelaces to determine your health. Its not that we don't know...we do know....we know its useless.

KathyH is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    The reason I recommend "extreme ranges" is because cholesterol levels are next to useless in health determination. Its like asking if you should have me count the threads in your shoelaces to determine your health. Its not that we don't know...we do know....we know its useless.
    OK, it's useless so why would someone make a claim that you will die if your TC is low without looking at other numbers?

impala454 is offline Senior Member
    Were you fasting for this quick test at work? I wouldn't put a lot of emphasis on some health fair test at work. I get a TC number every time I donate blood (every 8 weeks) and it has been all over the place. Here's my past two years worth, with me going primal in May 2011:
    4/21/2011 167
    6/16/2011 122
    8/18/2011 161
    10/19/2011 160
    12/20/2011 162
    2/15/2012 209
    4/19/2012 174
    8/16/2012 163
    -Chuck

Wildrose is offline Senior Member
    OK, it's useless so why would someone make a claim that you will die if your TC is low without looking at other numbers?
    No one is claiming you'd die, it's just a risk. Risks are percentages. Every person is individual, so obviously some people wouldn't be affected by that risk. If you expect someone to nail it down concretely, they'll never be able to. Or they'll just make something up to make you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildrose View Post
    No one is claiming you'd die, it's just a risk. Risks are percentages. Every person is individual, so obviously some people wouldn't be affected by that risk. If you expect someone to nail it down concretely, they'll never be able to. Or they'll just make something up to make you happy.
    Magicmeri said that the lower the cholesterol the more likely you will die (if you are a female)

I don't want anyone to nail it down, I want to get an idea whether I should worry about my numbers or not. I keep hearing that the ratios are mre important than the TC but then I hear that low TC is dangerous so I asked if the ratios are IDEAL according to the calculator should one worry about low TC. That's all

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Magicmeri said that the lower the cholesterol the more likely you will die (if you are a female)

I don't want anyone to nail it down, I want to get an idea whether I should worry about my numbers or not. I keep hearing that the ratios are mre important than the TC but then I hear that low TC is dangerous so I asked if the ratios are IDEAL according to the calculator should one worry about low TC. That's all
    You would be better off educating yourself about the latest thinking instead of asking if you should worry about your numbers. Who here on this forum has sufficient medical expertise and specific knowledge about you to answer a question like that? Read Peter Attia's cholesterol series. Watch the YouTube videos of Dr Lara Dall's presentation to GE. Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring. Listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but to present a few lipid numbers and ask folks if should worry is, well, ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    You would be better off educating yourself about the latest thinking instead of asking if you should worry about your numbers. Who here on this forum has sufficient medical expertise and specific knowledge about you to answer a question like that? Read Peter Attia's cholesterol series. Watch the YouTube videos of Dr Lara Dall's presentation to GE. Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring. Listen to Chris Masterjohn's podcast. I am not trying to be a smart-ass, but to present a few lipid numbers and ask folks if should worry is, well, ridiculous.
    Many people ask about cholesterol numbers and they are not being called ridiculous.

Timthetaco Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    . Listen to Jimmy Moore's podcast interview of Dr Thomas Dayspring.
    Indeed. Assuming you're not just trolling for fun, Kathy, that podcast has some good information.

ATLCX (Episode 29): Dr. Thomas Dayspring | Cholesterol Testing: What Matters Most? Jimmy Moore's Livin' La Vida Low Carb Blog

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Who said that?

Oh, I see...you conveniently left out the "more likely" to die so that you could create a straw man....clever.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast