Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk is good or bad? page

paul900 Guest

Coconut milk is good or bad?

Primal Fuel
    I want to incorporate this into my diet. I read an artical where mark criticises and questions whether we should drink coconut milk which i thought was strange since a lot of meals in the primal blueprint cookbook use coconut milk.

Drumroll is online now Senior Member
    I don't recall that article. Could you link to it?

catrice.ailget is offline Junior Member
    Yes Coconut Milk and coconuts are EXTREMELY healthy. Iif you drink it in the morning with empty stomach...it's good for your skin & hair and it contains very less fat.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Ok. We're not talking about the same type of coconut milk here. The coconut milk one buys in carton is "milk" in the loosest sense of the word. It is overly processed and defatted and contains tons of stuff that are definitely not primal. Real coconut milk is chock full of fat and is made from coconut that is grated and squeezed out, giving you a very thick, creamy base. I doubt you can drink that stuff straight and not gag on the (good) fat content. Depending on your health goals, it may be a good idea to incorporate it into your diet.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

inesenite is offline Senior Member
    If I am thinking about the same article, I think Mark's post focused on things like BPA in the packaging and FODMAPS for people with particular problems. And generall just having too much of it. If you don't eat a kilo of it a day and get the sourcing right (no extra ingredients, no-bps packaging), it's a great thing to include in your diet.
    As to "milk" terminology - I think I have seem pretty much the same thing labelled as milk, cream, creamed coconut (slightly thicker or thinner consistency), so it's the ingredients that matter most. And most often you can judge by calorie content too - the higher calories, the thicker the milk. The brands Mark mentions in that post are good, I use the aroya one.

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    Ok. We're not talking about the same type of coconut milk here. The coconut milk one buys in carton is "milk" in the loosest sense of the word. It is overly processed and defatted and contains tons of stuff that are definitely not primal. Real coconut milk is chock full of fat and is made from coconut that is grated and squeezed out, giving you a very thick, creamy base. I doubt you can drink that stuff straight and not gag on the (good) fat content. Depending on your health goals, it may be a good idea to incorporate it into your diet.
    Yep. I am sure the recipes call for using canned coconut milk. The other is full of synthetic this and that. It is marketed as a replacement for cow's milk while the canned coconut milk is intended for cooking. I use the canned coconut milk for smoothies, add to white rice (replaces some of the water), curries and such. I used to buy the So Delicious Coconut Milk in cartons for pancake mix but I now just use heavy cream and water instead.

I guess a general rule of thumb would be the coconut 'milk' in the dairy cooler section isn't the best option but the cans on the shelf are fine.

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Dhansakdave is offline Senior Member
    Mark did do a article a while back which mentioned coconut milk, I can't remember when, because he recommended using a brand of coconut milk called Aroya-D, as it was BPA free, my local Vietnamese shop sells it, which is why I remember, as I buy it there by the ton!

Cheers

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    It's called Aroy-D to be more precise
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

Jamie Madrox is online now Senior Member
    walmart sells a brand of coconut milk called golden star for cheap that uses bpa free cans.

Mr. Anthony is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I don't know what took me so long to jump on the canned coconut milk wagon, but holy crap is it awesome. I mix it up with cocoa powder, tasty chocolate protein powder, coconut oil, and sometimes a pureed avocado for a fat fat fat chocolate mousse when I need more calories. So good.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast