Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Coconut milk is good or bad? page 2

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I drink a cup (small Aroy-D box) of it every day in my coffee and love the way it makes me feel, and it has not made any noticeable impact on my body composition. Granted, I eat for keto often for weeks on end.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

PHaselow is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Anthony View Post
    I don't know what took me so long to jump on the canned coconut milk wagon, but holy crap is it awesome. I mix it up with cocoa powder, tasty chocolate protein powder, coconut oil, and sometimes a pureed avocado for a fat fat fat chocolate mousse when I need more calories. So good.
    Stealing this. Coconut, chocolate and avocado. The culinary trifecta! Any ratios you recommend, or just to taste? I won't use the protein powder mostly likely. Is the cocoa powder unsweetened?

Age 48
    Start date: 7-5-12
    5'3"
    121lbs
    GOAL: to live to be a healthy and active 100

"In health there is freedom. Health is the first of all liberties."
    Henri Frederic Amiel

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PHaselow View Post
    Stealing this. Coconut, chocolate and avocado. The culinary trifecta! Any ratios you recommend, or just to taste? I won't use the protein powder mostly likely. Is the cocoa powder unsweetened?
    I just mix to taste. I bet some melted dark chocolate would work great in place of the protein powder for flavor. It's a little bitter with just unsweetened cocoa powder.

cayla29s is offline Senior Member
    I find that many of the coconut milk that I see contains guar gum? Is this even healthy?

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    From here: GUAR GUM: Uses, Side Effects, Interactions and Warnings - WebMD

Guar gum is LIKELY SAFE for most people when taken with at least 8 ounces of liquid. The water is important because it reduces the chance of choking or developing a blockage in the intestine.

Side effects include increased gas production, diarrhea, and loose stools. These side effects usually decrease or disappear after several days of use. High doses of guar gum or not drinking enough fluid with the dose of guar gum can cause blockage of the esophagus and the intestines.

Special Precautions & Warnings:
    Pregnancy and breast-feeding: Taking guar gum during pregnancy in typical amounts is POSSIBLY SAFE. But not enough is known about the safety of taking guar gum during breast-feeding. Stay on the safe side and avoid use.

Gastrointestinal (GI) obstruction: Don’t take guar gum if you have a condition that causes obstruction or narrowing of your esophagus or intestine.

Surgery: Because guar gum might affect blood glucose levels, there is a concern that it might interfere with blood glucose control during and after surgery. Stop taking guar gum at least 2 weeks before a scheduled surgery.

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Coconut milk isn't particularly nutritious and it's very high in calories so a poor choice for weight loss, but if you like the taste it contains very good quality fats. Just be aware of the dosage. You wouldn't drink straight heavy cream I assume, but a few tablespoons can add volume to a dish or lighten tea or coffee. Think of coconut milk as a non-dairy heavy cream alternative that goes well with Asian cooking.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

redskater is offline Junior Member
    I found this article on coconut milk.

3 reasons why coconut milk may not be your friend

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ChocoTaco369 View Post
    Coconut milk isn't particularly nutritious and it's very high in calories so a poor choice for weight loss, but if you like the taste it contains very good quality fats. Just be aware of the dosage. You wouldn't drink straight heavy cream I assume, but a few tablespoons can add volume to a dish or lighten tea or coffee. Think of coconut milk as a non-dairy heavy cream alternative that goes well with Asian cooking.
    Is that why southeast Asians are so thin? They only eat a few tablespoons of coconut milk each day?

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    Is that why southeast Asians are so thin? They only eat a few tablespoons of coconut milk each day?
    Nope. Poorer SE Asians are thin because of lackof money for food, they know to stop eating when full, and lots of manual labor still. Coconut milk is not used daily in cooking. Sometimes, yes, but not all dishes are curry-based, which are the ones that tend to contain coconut milk.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

ChocoTaco369 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by sakura_girl View Post
    They move a lot more than us and eat a lot less than us. The whole white rice paradox is a myth as well since they eat a whopping ice cream scoop with their meal, not an entire quart like you get at a Chinese restaurant.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast