Thread: Stylists, barber, whatever....need advice page

Rojo is offline Senior Member

Stylists, barber, whatever....need advice

Shop Now
    So it's haircut time and I'd really like a good one. But I've always been one of those annoying people who doesn't know/can't articulate what they want.

The deal is that my hair up front is thinning. Now, when I say thinning, I mean the hairs themselves are just getting thinner. My hairline is the same place it's always been. But with the thinner hair I get "fly-away" hair up front that I think looks terrible.

I don't want anything fancy -- just a basic men's cut. But "a basic men's cut" doesn't mean much to a barber. I tried googling some help but got mostly faux-hawk silliness that's aimed at men twenty years younger.

But I really don't know what to say in the chair. I don't know clipper numbers and all that.

So anyone have any suggestions as to what to say? Short to medium is good. But please don't tell me to shave it off. I still have "full coverage" and would really rather not. Also, I'd really rather not take in a picture.

Thanks

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    If you want a buzzed look on the sides/back and slightly longer than buzzed on the top, ask for a #2 on the sides and a #4 on top. For short, but not buzzed-looking, ask for a #4 on the sides/back and a #6 or #8 (#8 is 1 inch of hair) on the top.

A #2 clipper is 1/4" of hair, and you will be able to see your scalp through it. #4 is 1/2" and your scalp should be hidden.

Hope that helps!
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Bosnic is offline Senior Member
    But I really don't know what to say in the chair. I don't know clipper numbers and all that.
    Me too!

Thanks Unsifilis, or w/e your name is!

Rojo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    If you want a buzzed look on the sides/back and slightly longer than buzzed on the top, ask for a #2 on the sides and a #4 on top. For short, but not buzzed-looking, ask for a #4 on the sides/back and a #6 or #8 (#8 is 1 inch of hair) on the top.

A #2 clipper is 1/4" of hair, and you will be able to see your scalp through it. #4 is 1/2" and your scalp should be hidden.

Hope that helps!
    This is EXACTLY the kind of feedback I wanted. Thanks!

Grok is offline Senior Member
    I go to a barbershop which cuts hair for men only.

I would not recommend seeing a stylist.

KV8R is offline Senior Member
    Go to a men's only shop, as mentioned above, like U.S. Male or something like that. The lower the number the shorter the cut. I use a 1.5, or sometimes a 1, it's almost down to the skin. a 1-2 combo is slightly shorter on top, any barber worth a shit will be able to give advice. They'll know the numbers and be able to make recommendations. You won't be the only first timer they've ever dealt with.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Find a better barber shop. There's a lot to be said for trusting a professional, if you can find a good one. "Make it look good" is a great thing to be able to say and trust that they can make it happen. This usually takes a few trips to the same place.

Communicate with your barber- tell them that your situation, and explain that you're not sure how to describe what you want because your hair is different from before, and you want your haircut to adjust for that.

Find a picture of someone who's hair you like, or a picture of when you had a haircut you liked and show them. When I lived in Taiwan I did this, as it was much easier than trying to use my (lacking) Chinese skills to describe something I wasn't entirely familiar with in English. Sometimes the barber shops even have books of pictures of hairstyles, but I wouldn't count on it, I guess.

wiltondeportes Guest
    Go for the double mohawk. The best haircuts I've ever had were from men.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    I'm female but wear my hair very short and go to a barber shop because A: haircuts like mine are what barbers do all day long and B: why should I pay twice as much for an often inferior service? I second finding a picture. What you are describing is open for interpretation. If you can't find one picture that you like take multiples, say one for the back part and another for the front, sides, etc. But keep in mind, pictures are of other people's heads and hair, so don't expect your hair to look exactly like what you are referencing. The first time you go, choose an off time, like a weekday morning, when the barber will have time to work with you. Here's a good post on how to find a barber and how to get what you want. There are other posts there dealing with barbers as well.

How to Pick a Barber | The Art of Manliness