Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 34

Thread: The 4,000 calories per week guideline

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    247

    The 4,000 calories per week guideline

    Seems like a great guideline to follow but whats the best way to track exercise calorie expenditure?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    247
    bump

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,516
    I think it's a stupid guideline. I think it's only meant as some sort of short-cut to avoiding "chronic cardio." Everybody labels any kind of cardio/endurance activity with the broad stroke of the "chronic cardio" brush around here. But if you do 10 thousand calories a week of slow movement it won't hurt you. Believe me, I've done it, and when I was doing it I felt like I was doing what humans are truly supposed to do. Of course, some of us like endurance activities more than others, so there's a personal thing going on there. But as long as your cardio is not done at a high level of exertion it's good and healthy.

    Anyway, that's not really a very good answer to your question, but my tl;dr; answer is that it's just a short-cut to get people to stop killing themselves on the elliptical at the gym.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    3,783
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    But if you do 10 thousand calories a week of slow movement it won't hurt you..
    To be fair, he did say in the post:

    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Sisson
    Not all activity “counts” toward your caloric expenditure. Taking a 30-minute stroll to the store doesn’t count as focused work. Taking a 60-minute hike up in the hills does. Going for a nice relaxing ride on the bike around the neighborhood doesn’t count, but doing twenty miles in a single day does. Carrying the groceries from the car to the house doesn’t count; carrying the groceries from the store to the house just might, though. “You know it when you see it” applies here, so use your better judgment.
    So that kinda gets him off the hook I think. He's not telling people to stop walking if they get over 40 miles on their pedometer on Saturday night.

    If anything, I think the post should end some of the chronic cardio fear. In that example he gave, the guy went for a 6-mile run and a 13-mile bike ride on top of his more Primal-endorsed activities.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,294
    who's honestly going to track the calories they burn exercising? very hard to do, for one, and a huge waste of time. i wish mark hadn't put some arbitrary number on it. when he does this with numbers, like with respect to his carbohydrate curve, it gets a bit stupid.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Lexington Kentucky
    Posts
    2,965
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    who's honestly going to track the calories they burn exercising? very hard to do, for one, and a huge waste of time. i wish mark hadn't put some arbitrary number on it. when he does this with numbers, like with respect to his carbohydrate curve, it gets a bit stupid.
    I did when i was was doing it wrong. I was attempting to force my krebs cycle to stay engaged all day long. sadly no one told me that my brain simple wasn't going to cooperate.

    HITT center for VOX2 test, BMR testing. run the number, get a heart rate monitor, stay connected all day long and eat 500 calories less than i burned each day


    for 6 grueling months

    not a damn thing changed for me.

    sigh
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

    Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

    CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66


    Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

  7. #7
    otzi's Avatar
    otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    I did when i was was doing it wrong. I was attempting to force my krebs cycle to stay engaged all day long. sadly no one told me that my brain simple wasn't going to cooperate.

    HITT center for VOX2 test, BMR testing. run the number, get a heart rate monitor, stay connected all day long and eat 500 calories less than i burned each day


    for 6 grueling months

    not a damn thing changed for me.

    sigh
    Hey, Quelly - Have you read the potato threads in Nutrition Section? Interested in trying?

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    3,823
    I am already dreading the influx of exercise calorie counters and the arguments over what counts, how to count, and so on, and the primal purity police decrees over what is really PB exercise and what will kill us all.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

    Owly's Journal

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    tn
    Posts
    9,587
    Quote Originally Posted by Owly View Post
    I am already dreading the influx of exercise calorie counters and the arguments over what counts, how to count, and so on, and the primal purity police decrees over what is really PB exercise and what will kill us all.
    on the flip side, if you create a paleo specific calorie burnt counter now you will rake in some dough
    beautiful
    yeah you are

    Baby if you time travel back far enough you can avoid that work because the dust won't be there. You're too pretty to be working that hard.
    lol

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Santa Barbara
    Posts
    10,516
    It's even stupid to say you have to limit hiking up hills to no more than 4000 calories a week. Some of us do really well with tons of endurance exercise, including hiking in the hills. I'd say that it's plenty human and natural to walk a long distance in the mountains.

    This is being discussed over on the Barefoot Ted huaraches group.
    https://groups.google.com/forum/?fro...es/LwB7Y7IKw1c
    Female, 5'3", 50, Max squat: 202.5lbs. Max deadlift: 225 x 3.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •