Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The 4,000 calories per week guideline page 2

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    who's honestly going to track the calories they burn exercising? very hard to do, for one, and a huge waste of time. i wish mark hadn't put some arbitrary number on it. when he does this with numbers, like with respect to his carbohydrate curve, it gets a bit stupid.
    I did when i was was doing it wrong. I was attempting to force my krebs cycle to stay engaged all day long. sadly no one told me that my brain simple wasn't going to cooperate.

HITT center for VOX2 test, BMR testing. run the number, get a heart rate monitor, stay connected all day long and eat 500 calories less than i burned each day

for 6 grueling months

not a damn thing changed for me.

sigh
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

otzi Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by quelsen View Post
    I did when i was was doing it wrong. I was attempting to force my krebs cycle to stay engaged all day long. sadly no one told me that my brain simple wasn't going to cooperate.

HITT center for VOX2 test, BMR testing. run the number, get a heart rate monitor, stay connected all day long and eat 500 calories less than i burned each day

for 6 grueling months

not a damn thing changed for me.

sigh
    Hey, Quelly - Have you read the potato threads in Nutrition Section? Interested in trying?

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    So, know one really knows

Kharnath is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
    So, know one really knows
    How do you define "the best way" to track calories burned? The most exact is probably the double labeled water method. But oxygen consumption and heat generation is a lot more practical. Of course, thermodynamics allows us to calculate caloric expenditures by comparing caloric intake and bodyweight changes - which are both much easier to assess than caloric expenditures (holy shit, did he just say calories in vs. calories out?)

The real question is: What makes you think 4000 kcals per week is a great guideline? Personally, I think it's a total facepalm.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    Fair enough.

I just think its a good guidleine. Nothing definitive.

I actually think its a good starting point, and each person could see if they thrive on more or less.

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NDF View Post
    That's actually a pretty high calorie burn. That equates to 570 calories burnt through exercise a day. For me a 5'4" 130lb female, that's 50-100 minutes of exercise (depending on intensity). I don't know about anyone else, but I have a life outside of the gym and generally only aim for 30min 5 days a week.

Fat loss should come from diet anyway. Tracking exercise calories is pointless.
    The problem with the guideline is that it's actually not so much depending on your weight. I'm 170'ish. I have a 2-year old, active German Shepard. I run a 9ish minute mile 5k loop with him and then a second 5k same pace solo. It takes a little less than an hour. By day 5 I'm over 4000 calories. We go out nearly every day because we both need it. Throw in a few nights of heavy lifting, 45 - minutes to an hour in a week I've ran 7 days and it's over 6,000 cal easy. What in the world does an active, athletic 200 or even 300 pounder do? Lace up their shoes and then they're done? I don't do much physically with my job and I think that's why I do okay and need the activity before and after work.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    I need 2500 cals a day to maintain.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by paleo-bunny View Post
    I need 2500 cals a day to maintain.

2500 calories of exercise a day to maintain?

NDF
    NDF is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pace2race View Post
    The problem with the guideline is that it's actually not so much depending on your weight. I'm 170'ish. I have a 2-year old, active German Shepard. I run a 9ish minute mile 5k loop with him and then a second 5k same pace solo. It takes a little less than an hour. By day 5 I'm over 4000 calories. We go out nearly every day because we both need it. Throw in a few nights of heavy lifting, 45 - minutes to an hour in a week I've ran 7 days and it's over 6,000 cal easy. What in the world does an active, athletic 200 or even 300 pounder do? Lace up their shoes and then they're done? I don't do much physically with my job and I think that's why I do okay and need the activity before and after work.
    Ya, I'm not a runner(anymore). I burnt myself out on that long ago. I couldn't imagine running for nearly an hour 7 days a week ever again.

If I could activity in my calorie burn, I easily get 4000 a week. But if we are talking about strictly exercise, getting 500 calories a day burnt from exercise (cardio and/or weight training) is not possible for me.

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    4000 calories OR move slowly, lift heavy things, sprint once and a while and play!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast