Thread: Cow Heel, Ox Tail, Liver and Bones for my Broth... page

Donna* is offline Junior Member

Cow Heel, Ox Tail, Liver and Bones for my Broth...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    So, today I went shopping at my local butchers. I have been primal for about 3 and a half months. To say that I am loving it is an understatement! All his meat is pure grass fed and his produce is seasonal and from local suppliers. I caused a bit of a stir... I started to gather my produce from outside his shop where it is beautifully displayed (cauliflower, carrots, onions etc) and on entering asked for a couple of rib eye steaks, 2 x lamb cutlets, 2 x chicken fillets, 1 lb of diced steak, he was getting everything together for me when I enquired about cow heel, he obliged me by going into the back and rooting around his freezer.. he returned with the biggest piece of cow heel that I have ever seen...I asked him was it possible to split it in half as it was clearly too much for my needs.. he obliged. The lady behind me in the queue asked what I was going to do with it.. I told her chop it up fine and slow cook it with the diced steak, onions and carrots.. that it became sticky and clung to the lips and ribs... she visibly paled. I then requested a smallish portion of liver, and then asked did he have any bones available for me to purchase to make broth. He brought forth a lovely display of marrow bones which I eagerly purchased and whilst he was getting the ox tail that I had asked for, the same lady asked what I was going to do with the bones, I explained that I would slow cook them for a long time, strain them, skim the fat and retain it, and the jelly that I was left with, I would heat a cupful every morning to have as my breakfast. The lady heaved from her toes and made the most awful retching noises, it was so loud that two butchers ran from the back of the shop to see what was going on. LOL. I left with my purchases and it only cost 19.70 apart from a few extra veg in a few days thats my shopping for the week. YAY!

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Well for Pete's sake, how did she think broth was made? Some people are wimps.

I remember when I couldn't get my bone broth to gel and was really frustrated, and my brother was like, "Why would you WANT it to?" with a green look on his face. Um hello, where do you think gelatin comes from?! He can't stand to watch me scoop out a lovely big chunk of wobbly brown broth gel and heat it up for breakfast I the morning. Whatever, his loss!

It was very funny! The butcher was thrilled to be talking about my purchases and why I wanted them. We also talked about tripe, which is an old Lancashire recipe and I was telling him that I was going to try it until I heard that it was bleached to prepare it and that can't be good! He agreed! During our conversation, he told me that for the last 20 years eating meat and veg he has never deviated from his 12 stone weight, he eats a very occasional pack of crisps but basically he cooks from scratch. Looks like we are on the right track.
    My son really does not like the idea of bone broth turning jelly either .. HaHa

noodletoy is online now Senior Member
    am always so happy when my broth cooks down into gelatinous gooey goodness. just had some with kerrygold butter, hot sauce and some seaweed mixed in for breakfast. where was this stuff all my life? lol.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

That sounds soooo good noodletoy. I have mine as it comes... but now may have to add some more stuff to it!

Westly is offline Senior Member
    Hee! I was getting some chicken backs to make some broth for some Tom Kha Gai and a lady's like "I wouldn't feed those to my dogs..." And I was like "I wouldn't either, they're for me!"

I got the D: face and she hurried away. More chicken backs for me I guess?

I've never heard of cow heel though! I always seem to be spending $100 - $160 per week in food. Need cheaper offal meals. Does Whole foods sell kidney? Man, I need to figure out where I can get some livers and kidneys and that kind of thing where I live. ;_; Any Bay Area folks make some recommendations?
    Down from 275 to 250!
    Werewolf Primal Living Blog - http://lycanthropology.com
    Some fact, a lot of fiction! Keep track of my progress there!

SarahW is offline Senior Member
    Whole Foods sells chicken livers in a tub, $2.99/lb or so.

I'm interested in knowing if you can ask for "stuff from the back" at the butcher counter at Whole Foods. I've been buying "Pasture Centered" roast cuts there, but they always seem to be suspiciously lacking in fat. Do you think I can ask "do you have any fat in the back you can sell me?"

Roasted beef fat....ahhhh.

ahem.

Last time I was at Whole Foods I bought a bunch of roasts, steaks, bones, sausage, etc. and the checkout guy kept on commenting on it. Like, "oh, and roast, and bacon too, and...bones...and..." I smiled and laughed inside.

[QUOTE=Westly;976297]Hee! I was getting some chicken backs to make some broth for some Tom Kha Gai and a lady's like "I wouldn't feed those to my dogs..." And I was like "I wouldn't either, they're for me!"

Laughing my head off!!!

My Grandma used to make steak and cow heel when I was a kid.... its delicious, perhaps its a Lancashire recipe that no one really bothers with now!
    Last edited by Donna*; 10-12-2012 at 12:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
    Whole Foods sells chicken livers in a tub, $2.99/lb or so.

I'm interested in knowing if you can ask for "stuff from the back" at the butcher counter at Whole Foods. I've been buying "Pasture Centered" roast cuts there, but they always seem to be suspiciously lacking in fat. Do you think I can ask "do you have any fat in the back you can sell me?"

Roasted beef fat....ahhhh.

ahem.

Last time I was at Whole Foods I bought a bunch of roasts, steaks, bones, sausage, etc. and the checkout guy kept on commenting on it. Like, "oh, and roast, and bacon too, and...bones...and..." I smiled and laughed inside.
    Can't do this at the supermarket where I go as they are sent specific cuts and little butchering is done. The place I went to is a little local butcher that sells produce as well. They had beef dripping... was so tempted... but I cannot be that high fat until I lose a little more