CDC
    CDC is offline Member

not sure were to post this..take a look

Primal Fuel
    my recent blood work all good but this..maybe..blood was in august

tsh 3rd generation--2.31 (.4-4.5)
    t4 free --1.47 ( .8-1.8)
    t3 free --2.6 (2.3-4.2)

hormone doc says borderline hypothyroid, says want t3 higher and tsh lower..

any thoughts?

also dhea is 132 (80-560) wants this up

wants to start me on 2 grains of thyroid and dhea..i have been on dhea and was great but off for a while but wondering more about this borderline hypo thyroid...btw..eating paleo/primal 95% for 5 months now..started in june

Daydreamer is offline Senior Member
    Is your doctor an "anti aging doctor" of any kind ?
    Because I'm very interested in this medicine, traditional doctors here in France don't treat my hormonal problems well at all.

My TSH is quite similar to yours, started at 6.5 and decreased it with Primal eating and Tyrosine/Iodine supplementation, now it's 2.2.
    Young self-caring Paleo-eater from France.
    (So please forgive the strange way I tend to express myself in your beautiful language )

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    TSH is a terrible way to diagnose hypo. I wish doctors would get a clue and stop using it as the only sign of hypo. Grrrrr....... TSH will fluctuate constantly due to stress, dieting, fasting, deficiencies etc.... The more important thing is whether you feel like you have hypo or not. Is your actual body temp (>98.2 degrees) low consistently? Are you tired? Losing hair? Losing outer part of eyebrows? gaining weight? etc...... Don't look at just the TSH. The more important numbers are the free T3 and T4 which look ok. If your temps are low and you aren't feeling well then I guess go for the meds but I am all for staying away from perscriptions if they aren't necessary.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    Any supplements that could help naturally...iodine or seaweed if so any idea how much? I get confused on this!!

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    I take half a sheet of nori (iodine) and a brazil nut (selenium) each day as a natural vitamin.

Just don't shoot for an iodine megadose. Stay in the ballpark of the RDA, since even if it's not completely accurate you can't get into too much trouble with it.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

CDC
    CDC is offline Member
    thanks...my weight is ok.175lbs at 5' 9 but can gain easy if not careful, temp is always normal, loosing some hair , but still full head at 40 yrs old and eyebrows are fine..no brittle nails...energy is ok..i do take a few naps here and there but go to gym, crossfit, basketball every wk..i do feel a liitle burnt out at times but that could just be work related...i never sit around, always on the go..just sometimes by end of day i am spent..

would like a little boost as thyroid levels could be better but dont want to take t3/t4 just yet

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    I would up the iodine, selenium, and add some tyrosine. You can either supplement with kelp or lugols iodine for the iodine. Or you can eat sea weed. For the selenium I would eat 1 to 2 brazil nuts or take 200 mcg of a selenium supplement. You can get a tyrosine supplement in most health food stores or order online. Tyrosine and iodine are what make up both T3 and T4. Selenium helps convert T4 to T3 which is the more active version of the hormone. Some other important vit and minerals for thyroid health are D3, magnesium, iron, copper, and B12. So make sure all of those are being ingested adequitly too.
    F/37yr/5' 5"
    SW: 154 March 2011
    CW: 140 July to Oct 2011
    PB: 145 gained 5lbs in first 4 months March to July 2012
    With a combo of PB and IF-ing 5 days a week (1 x 1200 calorie meal per day) I have lost 15 lbs PB/IF = 130 lbs July 2012 to current
    GW: 120
    Ultimate Goals ar to be: Happy/ Fit/ Energetic/ Feel great/ Balanced/ cure my thyroid and adrenals