Limited Time: Grab your FREE Box of Dark Chocolate Almond Bars Get Yours>>Close
Open
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter?

Hybrid View

Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter?

Hi, I have always thought that it was somewhat unnatural forcing yourself out of bed when it is dark outside in the morning. Surely it might have been an advantage for the likes of Grok to conserve energy when food was scarce in the winter. A sort of mini-hibernation. Any thoughts or evidence on this?

It's not just that food is scarcer--humans have really crappy night vision and we're more likely to fall off of something high or get eaten by something that can see us when we can't see it, if we do too much wandering around in the dark.

But that said, you should sleep whatever amount feels natural and leaves you energetic and well-rested. Go to bed early and wake up naturally, no matter what time of year it is.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    humans have really crappy night vision
    Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
    Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
    Bingo. Superheroes like Alex aside, we're not nocturnal creatures by nature.

I find it's easier to wake up when there is sunlight, which means in the winter I end up sleeping too late in the morning unless I artificially fool myself with a lamp set on a timer to come on at the same time every morning, all year long. I do find myself getting more sleepy earlier as the sun sets earlier.

I think we do probably need extra sleep during the winter. Not only is food more scarce, but for many of us it's COLD. Keeping warm can sap a lot of energy. It might not be a drastic difference in hours, but yes, I do think there's a difference in how much sleep we need from summer to winter.

Autism.
    Hypersensitive hearing: Those things meant to drive off dogs? They hurt.
    Hypersensitive vision: I can see in the dark. Need I say more?
    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
    Last edited by Alex Good; 10-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Autism.
    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
    Alex Good, you crack me up...(my autistic son has similar 'abilities')!

Autism.

Us Autistic folks don't have superhuman eyes dude. In fact, we are LESS likely to. I have a LOT of friends on the spectrum, and almost ALL of us wear glasses or contacts. My research has actually pointed to a correlation between premature degeneration of eye tissue and those on the autistic spectrum. I'm not sure of the cause, but the link is there.

Autism.

Hypersensitivity and hyper-acuteness are not the same thing. I have no doubt that noises that others consider tolerable are intolerable to you, if you are ASD. That doesn't mean that you can detect, for instance, a barking dog from a mile away when others can only hear it at a quarter. It's a matter of mental perception of noise, not physical detection of sounds. I'm not saying it's impossible that you have unusually sharp senses for a human. What I'm saying is that unless you have made some evolutionary leap in a single generation that bestowed a tapetum lucidum on your retinas and totally altered the type and concentration of your rod cells, as well as reconfiguring your visual cortex, you can not see like a cat at night, nor do you have the complementary specializations of the ear and auditory cortex necessary to hear like one. You are a diurnal primate, descended from diurnal primates, and your physiology reflects this. I would bet that if you were able to experience the night like a truly nocturnal animal, you would gasp in astonishment at what you were experiencing because it would be utterly unlike anything you had ever seen, heard or smelled in your life.

As to whether you are a "genius", my familiarity with your writing would suggest you are brighter than average, but hardly an anomaly. What you do seem to be (if you'll excuse me putting on my armchair-psychologist hat for a moment) is a narcissist and probably a mild sociopath with a god complex, which might certainly lead one to believe he is a superior, superhuman specimen despite abundant evidence of relative normalcy--were he able to judge himself objectively rather than only through his preconceived notions.

My Primal Journal

In the last couple of years I have become much more sensitive to the changing systems. I think we do need more sleep, particularly in the colder climes. I live in Florida and we have had some cold winters recently, at least cold for us. So yes, I think you are on to something
    You know all those things you wanted to do: You should go do them.

Age 48
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs