Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter? page

Neely is offline Member

Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I have always thought that it was somewhat unnatural forcing yourself out of bed when it is dark outside in the morning. Surely it might have been an advantage for the likes of Grok to conserve energy when food was scarce in the winter. A sort of mini-hibernation. Any thoughts or evidence on this?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    It's not just that food is scarcer--humans have really crappy night vision and we're more likely to fall off of something high or get eaten by something that can see us when we can't see it, if we do too much wandering around in the dark.

But that said, you should sleep whatever amount feels natural and leaves you energetic and well-rested. Go to bed early and wake up naturally, no matter what time of year it is.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    humans have really crappy night vision
    Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Speak for yourself. On an average night my eyesight is about as good as it is in the day. On cloudy nights it gets a bit worse but it's still completely manageable.
    Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Whatever, dude. I know you think you are a superhero but thinkin' don't make it so. You simply do not have the same level of night vision as a leopard does.
    Bingo. Superheroes like Alex aside, we're not nocturnal creatures by nature.

I find it's easier to wake up when there is sunlight, which means in the winter I end up sleeping too late in the morning unless I artificially fool myself with a lamp set on a timer to come on at the same time every morning, all year long. I do find myself getting more sleepy earlier as the sun sets earlier.

I think we do probably need extra sleep during the winter. Not only is food more scarce, but for many of us it's COLD. Keeping warm can sap a lot of energy. It might not be a drastic difference in hours, but yes, I do think there's a difference in how much sleep we need from summer to winter.

valmason01 is offline Senior Member
    In the last couple of years I have become much more sensitive to the changing systems. I think we do need more sleep, particularly in the colder climes. I live in Florida and we have had some cold winters recently, at least cold for us. So yes, I think you are on to something
    You know all those things you have always wanted to do? You should go do them.

Nah.. I was always aware "they" were out to get me.. even before I became Primal..... Now I can just run faster if they find me-Dino Hunter

Age 46
    height 5'3
    SW 215 lbs
    CW 180 lbs (whole foods/primal eating)
    LW 172 lbs
    GW 125ish lbs

Autism.
    Hypersensitive hearing: Those things meant to drive off dogs? They hurt.
    Hypersensitive vision: I can see in the dark. Need I say more?
    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
    Last edited by Alex Good; 10-10-2012 at 08:55 PM.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Jer37208 is offline Member
    lol really? you're probably just magnesium deficient

Quote Originally Posted by Jer37208 View Post
    lol really? you're probably just magnesium deficient
    Me? Nope, I was actually diagnosed with autism (as well as a bunch of other crap). I was tested for the hypersensitivities and I know about the hyposensitivity because other than the trained response elicited by my mothers constant panic attacks, burning myself has no effect. Well, there was physical damage but I still didn't feel it. So yeah, after overcoming my trained fear of fire I'll be able to stick my hand into a fire and watch it burn off. No, I'm not going to do that.

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Autism.
    Hypersensitive hearing: Those things meant to drive off dogs? They hurt.
    Hypersensitive vision: I can see in the dark. Need I say more?
    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.
    Yes, pest repellents are painfully loud. Other people can't hear them, and have no idea what I'm talking about. I also have amazing night vision. It's nice to have another around to talk to!

Ha-ha, martial arts people get so frustrated when my "pressure points" yield no reaction. Had a guy hook my jaw below the ear and I just looked at him like, "Is that supposed to bother me?" He was so weirded out he didn't want to play anymore. Same for the fingernail thing. Go ahead. Tear the whole thing off. Doesn't really bother me enough to stop me from doing whatever else I'm focused on.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    Tremendous worms of a swarthy nature pursue me across the sandy blank sky. I stop to think. What the devil AM I up to?!

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast