Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Do You We Need More Sleep in Winter? page 3

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    Autism.
    Hypersensitive hearing: Those things meant to drive off dogs? They hurt.
    Hypersensitive vision: I can see in the dark. Need I say more?
    Hyposensitive touch: Pain doesn't stop me. Although for some reason I seem to feel whatever touches my body hair. It doesn't hurt but it's wierd considering I feel almost nothing when I shave.

So yeah, for all intents and purposes (especially when you consider that I also happen to be a genius who has been compared to sherlock holmes (by people who overestimate, yes, but it gives you a general idea of my intelligence)) I AM a superhero. Or at the very least a potential action hero.
    Hypersensitivity and hyper-acuteness are not the same thing. I have no doubt that noises that others consider tolerable are intolerable to you, if you are ASD. That doesn't mean that you can detect, for instance, a barking dog from a mile away when others can only hear it at a quarter. It's a matter of mental perception of noise, not physical detection of sounds. I'm not saying it's impossible that you have unusually sharp senses for a human. What I'm saying is that unless you have made some evolutionary leap in a single generation that bestowed a tapetum lucidum on your retinas and totally altered the type and concentration of your rod cells, as well as reconfiguring your visual cortex, you can not see like a cat at night, nor do you have the complementary specializations of the ear and auditory cortex necessary to hear like one. You are a diurnal primate, descended from diurnal primates, and your physiology reflects this. I would bet that if you were able to experience the night like a truly nocturnal animal, you would gasp in astonishment at what you were experiencing because it would be utterly unlike anything you had ever seen, heard or smelled in your life.

As to whether you are a "genius", my familiarity with your writing would suggest you are brighter than average, but hardly an anomaly. What you do seem to be (if you'll excuse me putting on my armchair-psychologist hat for a moment) is a narcissist and probably a mild sociopath with a god complex, which might certainly lead one to believe he is a superior, superhuman specimen despite abundant evidence of relative normalcy--were he able to judge himself objectively rather than only through his preconceived notions.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

quelsen is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Hypersensitivity and hyper-acuteness are not the same thing. I have no doubt that noises that others consider tolerable are intolerable to you, if you are ASD. That doesn't mean that you can detect, for instance, a barking dog from a mile away when others can only hear it at a quarter. It's a matter of mental perception of noise, not physical detection of sounds. I'm not saying it's impossible that you have unusually sharp senses for a human. What I'm saying is that unless you have made some evolutionary leap in a single generation that bestowed a tapetum lucidum on your retinas and totally altered the type and concentration of your rod cells, as well as reconfiguring your visual cortex, you can not see like a cat at night, nor do you have the complementary specializations of the ear and auditory cortex necessary to hear like one. You are a diurnal primate, descended from diurnal primates, and your physiology reflects this. I would bet that if you were able to experience the night like a truly nocturnal animal, you would gasp in astonishment at what you were experiencing because it would be utterly unlike anything you had ever seen, heard or smelled in your life.

As to whether you are a "genius", my familiarity with your writing would suggest you are brighter than average, but hardly an anomaly. What you do seem to be (if you'll excuse me putting on my armchair-psychologist hat for a moment) is a narcissist and probably a mild sociopath with a god complex, which might certainly lead one to believe he is a superior, superhuman specimen despite abundant evidence of relative normalcy--were he able to judge himself objectively rather than only through his preconceived notions.
    “Delusions are often functional. A mother's opinions about her children's beauty, intelligence, goodness, et cetera ad nauseam, keep her from drowning them at birth.”

― Robert A. Heinlein
    Optimum Health powered by Actualized Self-Knowledge.

Predator not Prey
    Paleo Ketogenic Lifestyle

CW 315 | SW 506
    Current Jeans 46 | Starting Jeans 66

Contact me: quelsen@gmail.com

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yup I need a load more sleep in the winter. Historically have needed up to 9-10 hours cf 6 hours midsummer. I've learnt to deal and cope with that. Currently waking up with the dawn cos I use no artificial light after sunset. Makes a huge difference.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    Hypersensitivity and hyper-acuteness are not the same thing. I have no doubt that noises that others consider tolerable are intolerable to you, if you are ASD. That doesn't mean that you can detect, for instance, a barking dog from a mile away when others can only hear it at a quarter. It's a matter of mental perception of noise, not physical detection of sounds. I'm not saying it's impossible that you have unusually sharp senses for a human.

I actually do have abnormally sharp hearing, at the very least. They have a medical test which I took. As for my eyesight, I can't see any better in the day (as far as I can tell) but nobody else seems to be able to see anything in an amount of light which allows me to see clearly. Maybe it's just the way my brain processes things but it's still an advantage.

Oh and you don't need to be a genius to reach that conclusion about my psychological state. And ignoring whether I'm amazing or pathetic, normal is not the word to describe me. Not that that matters, see my signature. But really, would you describe someone with above average intelligence (genius...) and above average physical capabilities as not being better than most of the humans in the world?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123