Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Requesting Carbohydrate Curve Reference page

DrDane is offline Junior Member

Requesting Carbohydrate Curve Reference

The Carb Curve idea is very powerful, but I need some references before I start sharing this info as fact. Does anyone know where Mark got this information? Thanks!

Lukey is offline Senior Member
    i'm not sure where he got the info but before you start spreading the info, you should know that it's more the percentage of your calories rather than the amount of carbohydrate. A true low carb diet is anything under 15-20% of your calories. So if you burn 2000 a day thats anything under 80-100g.

Metric is offline Senior Member
    I don't have the book with me but are there any references listed for that page? Why don't you email him directly?

Quote Originally Posted by DrDane View Post
    The Carb Curve idea is very powerful, but I need some references before I start sharing this info as fact. Does anyone know where Mark got this information? Thanks!
    It's a load of bunk, I think that's pretty much the consensus here. Seriously, I don't know what mark was thinking with that one. The 160th carbohydrate gram will not start to cause insidious weight gain.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrDane View Post
    I believe that Mark is the reference. In other words, he based it off other people's ideas, such as Atkins, and on theories regarding the role of insulin in fat storage in the body, but really the carb curve is his own unique contribution.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Since your a Dr. I'd say the carb curve is evidence based medicine. Its based on equal parts science, experience, and preference to develop and implement it as an intervention. I know some don't like it (I actually love it), but it works like a charm for most the people I know IRL.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    It's a load of bunk, I think that's pretty much the consensus here. Seriously, I don't know what mark was thinking with that one. The 160th carbohydrate gram will not start to cause insidious weight gain.
    I didn't know you were entitled to speak for the opinions of an entire message board.

cantare is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Forgotmylastusername View Post
    It's a CURVE, not a step function...and certainly not "bunk" either IME.
    6' 2" | Age: 42 | SW: 341 | CW: 198 | GW: 180?

“Life can only be understood backwards, but it must be lived forwards.”
    ― Søren Kierkegaard

"I THINK that's pretty much the consensus here" was my statement. Maybe I think wrong and the majority of people here do believe going over 15o grams will lead people to slow yet insidious weight gain. I think that even includes total carbs which doesn't deduct fiber. If that's the case I could easily exceed 150 on vegetables alone.

Drumroll is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I find it to be very true for me. Unless I am working out like crazy, anything over about 100 grams and I gain. I have definitely noticed this. And since I already workout and go for long walks, I'm not looking to have to invest more time to keep the weight off.

There may be no PROOF behind Mark's curve, but the circumstantial evidence that I have seen is quite strong.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast