Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when diet ISN'T the silver bullet? page 4

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    sb, pardon me if you've discussed this already, but do you lift weights? Why not try some exercises that would increase your explosive power and see how your body responds to that?
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    most of the cross fitters and most of those photographed as fit/strong are mesomorphs. They can basically lift oranges, eat cigarettes and coffee and look like that. If they eat more than ciggies and coffee, they get a bit soft, but if they go for a nice long walk, they look lean again. if they lift weights, their bodies are very responsive.

Ectomorphs are long and thin, and their muscles don't look as "full." They are "hard gainers" and have high metabolisms. They can eat anything (think, cameron diaz), and won't gain a thing. And if they lift weights, ti takes A LOT of time before they look like a meso.

An endomorph is the softer body type. These people also have big muscles and big bones. I fyou are the sort of person who goes for a long walk and your thighs get BIG BIG if you lift up toddlers, but you don't loose fat, this is you. Lots of strength and power in the body type. . . not a lot of leanness without a lot of effort. And that effort includes caloric restriction, absolute perfecton in what goes in, AND a lot of exercise as well. To just be lean.

so, the endomorph is going to be softer, no matter what -- honestly and truly.

but what is prized in crossfit/etc circles is the mesomorph, so you don't see pictures of anyone else.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Not to jump down your throat, because I appreciate any addition to the discussion, but what the hell does this even mean? I mean really, what does this mean, in a specific, scientific sense?
    I think the OP means that people are different, with body composition that tends to stay at a set point. I think we all know people who eat CW like a monster and all the processed foods in the world and look like they're marathon runners, and others who strive to eat healthy and get their government recommended amount of exercise and stay chubby with little muscle tone. Even here on a primal forum I think you will find hard gainers and losers and people who do everything right to try to lose that last 5 pounds for years with little success because their body stubbornly wants to stay at a static weight that it likes best.

The concept of endomorphs and mesomorphs, etc, has been disproved but I think the concept of body types is a lot more complex than that.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

years ago, i worked with a girl who dealt with the same problems. granted, she didn't eat paleo/primal. but she was about your height, and i would say about 150lbs or so. she was athletic and strong and very active with hiking,biking, skiing, weight training and cardio. but she always had that pepetual 20lbs, mostly around her waist area, that she could never lose. and over the 2 years i worked with her, she tried every possible thing you could imagine, and yet those lbs wouldn't go away. it always struck me as odd that she couldn't lose those lbs no matter what she did.

now back to you... i don't really know what to say. if you are insistent uppon the fact that CICO doesn't matter to you, i'm not sure i buy that 100%. but, if you are insistent upon that premise, then it must be hormonal to some level. maybe hit the doctor's office for a full workup. who knows, something might be totally outta whack? i guess it's worth a shot.
    Last edited by not on the rug; 10-11-2012 at 07:57 AM.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I've done weights on and off through life. Not a lot of change. I probably would have to do them to excess. Just like eating healthy is supposed to restore normality, why would doing more than maintaining functional strength be required for some people? Why is excess required?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

adamm is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Is it just a Leptin thing? Is there any way to fix your Leptin without having to read impenetrable blogs and follow insane voodoo protocols?
    If you could figure out how to solve this, you would be the richest person in the history of humankind. So far it seems that insane voodoo protocols (or hacks, as heatseeker said) are all we have. I have a friend who went paleo/primal. She lost 10 pounds when adjusting to a low carb diet, but still stalled out way heavier than she would have liked. She has tried nearly everything to lose weight, as she is still a good twenty pounds more than she'd like to be, but nothing works. Not calorie restriction, not exercise, nothing.

--Me

beckie is offline Member
    I just got around to reading this thread. It was nice to see that I'm not the only one out there with the same problem! As I've aged and had kids, the weight has crept up. I'm 5'7" and have an extremely tiny frame and currently weigh ~140lb. In regular clothes I look fine and can even comfortably fit in a size 6 (sometimes a 4). BUT, I have a huge excess of BF (and it definitely shows in a swimming suit!). I had a bodpod bodyfat test and it reported 40.2% (not completely sure I believe that number), and my BF scale consistently reports 30-32%.

About two years ago I went primal and I lost about 5-7lbs. I've been stuck where I'm at ever since. I've tried the BP Fat Fast and I'm currently trying otzi's potato fast. To date, still no results

Owly is offline Senior Member
    I just want to clarify that when I talked about the importance of the 20% from exercise earlier I didn't just mean for that last couple of pounds. I think that for some of us, once the body hits the healthy body fat range (for women, under 30% is considered normal range but your genes will affect what that is for you) then getting the body to go lower can be really hard. I don't lose without exercise either, and to get any lower than the level I'm at now, I think I am going to have to step up the sprint/HIIT work. Eating the right macros in the right quantities only goes so far and works for maintenance of a healthy weight but not necessarily one's ideal figure. If your genetics run to carrying more fat, you have to work harder to fight that, just like a hardgainer has to eat and lift a ton to keep on muscle mass.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I wonder if it's worth the effort to try to get lower body fat than what your body comes to at homeostasis. I've been going back and forth on whether I should hire a personal trainer to teach me old school weightlifting. But if I have to work too hard to get my body to change, only to end up quitting and having it go right back to where I am at now, maybe I could save the money and time and just accept that I'm strong, fit and healthy even if I don't look like a barbie doll or a cross-fit poster child. There is so much conflicting advice in the world. You can look like X if you just do This! You can have HEALTH and longevity if you do Y but you might not look like X. It's hard to know what to do. And it's doubly hard when every now and then you get these annoying people who say leanness is the outward sign of health and if you are still fat then you obviously aren't healthy but those people are almost always young men who have no clue about anything.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

DeeDub is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    To look like a "cross-fit poster child" takes a crap load of hard physical work - way more than LHT a couple of sessions a week. And it takes very tightly controlled diet.

And you can bet your bottom dollar your average Grok looked nothing like that.

It's just not a natural body composition, in the sense of "this is what happens if you do normal healthy things".

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast