Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when diet ISN'T the silver bullet? page 3

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    heatseeker, I feel you totally. Been primal about three years. I've done every iteration of Primal that's come along with no weight loss. Only way I can lose weight is through calorie restriction. My situation, I'm sure, is far different from yours but frustrating none the less. I take five meds a day to compensate for a zero pituitary function.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    I noticed that your name is "Heatseeker" so I'm guessing you haven't spent much time playing around with cold thermogenesis. There's quite a few threads on it around here, and it seems to have helped some people a fair amount.

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    I'm honestly surprised that no one else has experienced this phenomenon, and now I sort of feel like a freak of nature... I figured all kinds of people would crawl out of the woodwork and admit that diet has little to no effect on their body comp, too.
    winencandy crawls out of the woodwork...

Sounds like me. (but I DON'T do crazy workouts)
    2+ years. 16 lbs in the first 8 months.
    Nothing since.
    And by every chart in the known world I need to lose another 20 lbs.
    Tried Whole 30, counting calories, you name it.
    Presently I'm trying wine and chocolate

At least I don't gain on Primal.

I have no answers.
    If you are a freak, so am I
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    Prof. Mark talks about a small group of people being in a position where, what would be over-training for others is just right training for them. He even mentioned that thing (obliquely) in today's blog post. Some people just have the sort of makeup which both responds to what would otherwise be excessive training and which, in order to work at peak performance, probably needs that excessive training.
    Very interesting. See, this is what I was hoping to uncover with this thread, not yet more hacks I could try out to see if they work. I'm done trying hacks, and I'm tired of obsessing over food. What works is high levels of exercise, so I do high levels of exercise.

On the one hand, it's disconcerting that once I hit an age/condition where my body can't handle what I put it through right now, I will almost certainly go back to being pudgy. Frustrating. On the other hand, I can legit eat only about 50% clean and not gain. So that's nice to know, I guess.

Amen sister, you are echoing my own personal experience. No change. Exercise is the silver bullet, and not a little bit, not body weight exercises or sprinting or any of that.
    Oh thank god, I'm not alone. I was seriously starting to wonder.

And nowadays I'm at this strange place where it doesn't matter if I track my calories and get down to 1200 or below or jack them up to 2000 and above. Nothing changes except how much energy I have and how much I feel like expending.
    Exactly. Five years of trying every body hack known to man has done nothing except make me extremely knowledgeable about body hacks. I've stopped tracking my food, because I eat pretty much the same thing most days and it always comes out to about 1500-1600 calories, and I know now that that's where my body is satisfied and not hungry. So I just eat when I'm hungry, stop when I'm full, and toss in a sweet potato or some sushi on heavy lifting days. The end. On the one hand, it's very nice not to stress about food tracking; on the other hand, it's disappointing when Science things that are supposed to work because they're Science have zero effect.

Is it that whole endomorph thing?

Is it that people like us should be lifting huge weights? I had a body-builder chick tell me once if she had my body she could win competitions.

Maybe we have an unfortunate combination of male/female hormones.

I have a hard time believing it's a thyroid thing because I don't feel like a thyroid problem lives inside me at all.

So, is it the whole set-point thing? Are they ever going to find a cure for that? Even as a child I looked as chubby and rounded as I do now. Am I doomed because I was a fat kid?
    YES. These are the kinds of questions I was hoping we could discuss in this thread. It's not about what I've tried or what I haven't tried or how long I tried them or whatever. Starting from the assumption that caloric intake and macronutrient breakdown has ZERO effect on my body comp, but high-volume exercise does have an effect, what can we hypothesize? What can we come up with to explain this?

To drive this point home, this hasn't been true only as long as I've been Primal. This has been true my whole life. I once took a month-long bike trip across Italy, was cycling 30-40 miles a day and eating maybe--MAYBE--2000 calories a day, and guess what? I stayed exactly the same weight the entire time. Didn't lose, didn't gain. CICO is just not a factor in the way my body works.

It really bums me out because I really really want someone to say to me, Wow, you look great! What is your secret? And then I want to tell them all about paleo and convert them. But alas, I'm no paleo poster child and it looks like I probably won't ever be one.
    I'm actually on track to getting the body I want right now by working out at the volume I'm currently maintaining, which is far beyond anything I've ever done before (mostly because people on this forum and elsewhere had me so freaked out about overtraining). The concept of overtraining is out the window now. It took some adjustment but I'm definitely happy and not depleted/wiped at this volume, and I'm finally seeing results. It's a TON of hard work, but it's only been six weeks and I've seen big changes in body comp. I'm going to keep going as long as I can without getting injured or burning out. We'll see where I'm at in a year.

ETA: I want to make clear that I'm a huge proponent of the Primal diet and lifestyle and continue to eat very, very cleanly, even though it doesn't help me lose weight/burn fat. I eat this way because I honestly believe it's the best fuel for my body, mind, and life. I very much doubt that I could work out and play as hard as I do and keep (to quote Schmidt from New Girl) CRUSHING IT if I ate a crappy SAD diet.
    Last edited by heatseeker; 10-10-2012 at 07:01 PM.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    my body is highly responsive to exercise.

my husband makes a joke about it, but the reality is that if I basically do nothing (walk, light daily yoga for about 30 minutes), then diet helps me maintain a certain weight/body fat percentage (body type, yeah?). But, if i do *any* exercise: sprints, derby practice, parkour, more intense yoga, whatever -- then I look leaner the next day. Yes, that quickly.

When I am exercising harder/regularly/more (whatever), then I tend to just stay leaner and eat more (as you say, calories based on what a gal burns).

I think it's just how I am.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    also, it is my personal belief that if you stay active and healthy, and work on your *mobility* (such as yoga/mobility WOD, etc), then you will be able to lift and do a lot of these things as you age, no matter what. There are a lot of senior women who do, and they look great. So, yeah.

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    maybe it's just your body type?
    Not to jump down your throat, because I appreciate any addition to the discussion, but what the hell does this even mean? I mean really, what does this mean, in a specific, scientific sense?

The whole concept of the Primal Blueprint is that our bodies evolved to be lean fat-burning machines, and that our recent Western environment of high-sugar, high-grain, high-PUFA diets and low-movement lifestyles render our bodies incapable of self-regulating things like fat storage and blood sugar--use of energy, basically--in the most efficient way possible. And that by returning to the style of diet and movement by which our bodies evolved, we can fix these problems and turn our bodies back into the lean fat-burning machines they were meant to be. Saying "maybe it's just your body type" is contradictory to the Primal Blueprint, because if some people are fat because, well, that's their "body type" and they're just meant to be fat, then the whole supposition that humans evolved as a model of fat-burning efficiency is moot, and the Primal Blueprint becomes a thing only certain "body types" can benefit from. Which I refuse to believe.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    YES. These are the kinds of questions I was hoping we could discuss in this thread. It's not about what I've tried or what I haven't tried or how long I tried them or whatever. Starting from the assumption that caloric intake and macronutrient breakdown has ZERO effect on my body comp, but high-volume exercise does have an effect, what can we hypothesize? What can we come up with to explain this?

To drive this point home, this hasn't been true only as long as I've been Primal. This has been true my whole life. I once took a month-long bike trip across Italy, was cycling 30-40 miles a day and eating maybe--MAYBE--2000 calories a day, and guess what? I stayed exactly the same weight the entire time. Didn't lose, didn't gain. CICO is just not a factor in the way my body works.
    I walked out my front door and basically walked to Canada. I walked a total of 3000 miles over two summers. I hiked a marathon or more every day. I felt great. I find the whole blog post today about not doing more than 4000 calories of exercise per week ridiculous. I felt fully alive walking a marathon a day, like I was doing what humans are supposed to do. But was I a skinny little stick? Hell no! I was about exactly what I am now! Was I muscle-wasted and full of cortisol? Absolutely not. I could go out there tomorrow I could work myself back up to daily marathons in about a week. It was not even a super human thing for me to do. It was literally no big deal.

I even sent Mark a request for him to find some photos of what real primitive paleolithic women looked like because I have a suspicion that they didn't necessarily look like Cross-fit girls or like Mark's wife. I think maybe I just don't know what a real woman is supposed to look like.

So what about that set-point thing. Did they ever figure that out?

Is it just a Leptin thing? Is there any way to fix your Leptin without having to read impenetrable blogs and follow insane voodoo protocols?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    The whole concept of the Primal Blueprint is that our bodies evolved to be lean fat-burning machines, and that our recent Western environment of high-sugar, high-grain, high-PUFA diets and low-movement lifestyles render our bodies incapable of self-regulating things like fat storage and blood sugar--use of energy, basically--in the most efficient way possible. And that by returning to the style of diet and movement by which our bodies evolved, we can fix these problems and turn our bodies back into the lean fat-burning machines they were meant to be.
    I guess your posts have touched a nerve in me. I totally relate to it all.

Yeah, so I was posting in the potato diet thread that I went for a run at lunch today and somebody responded how could you possibly have the energy to run eating just potatoes? And I'm like what? Why not? If you are a fat-burning beast you ought to be able to run without eating anything at all. In fact, I did exactly that weekend before last. I went out without breakfast and ran for 5 hours. Came home around 3pm. Sat around for half an hour and then had breakfast. No big deal. I obviously can tap into my body fat for energy. So why the hell does it just stay there?

So basically, I am a fat-burning machine, but not a very lean one. Does this mean that I'm particularly gifted for endurance activity? If so, is that the effect or the cause? Is carrying all this energy what makes me good at endurance or is it the result of being good at endurance?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

heatherdarbs Guest
    I've done IF in various forms, including a long stint (3-4 months) of Leangains. No effect. Right now I fast Saturday mornings because I don't work out Saturdays and usually don't get hungry until the afternoon. I like fasting, and I think it probably has other non-fat-loss benefits, but it does nothing to help me lost fat.

Anytime I try a tweak, I give it at least three weeks before deciding it's not doing anything. I've calorie restricted down to 1000/day and all it Reid was make me feel tired and starving, and my workouts sucked. Body comp remained unchanged.

The only times in my entire life that I've visibly or measurably lost fat was when I was working out hardcore. As I am now. And like I said, I don't mind working out hardcore. I just want to know why food has no effect on things. And when I say food has no effect on things, it goes both ways--based on past experience, I could eat a cheat meal every single day and it'd also have no effect. I don't know what would happen if I gorged on SAD food constantly, though. And let's just say it's doubtful that I'd ever do that experiment.

To those saying "it's hard to lose those last few vanity pounds"--this is not that. I sit between 28 and 30% body fat, and could visibly stand to lose 20 pounds, even 30 if I wanted to be called "lean". And I've never been heavier than this, either. I have literally been at this weight and body comp for a decade with no ability to change it.
    Hmmmm...I've noticed something similar in that the macro cocktail doesn't really work as well for me. I was trying to keep the carbs low, fat high, protein, moderate and nothing. Finally, I went with my intuition, which I've been ignoring forever, trying these different and fascinating approaches - I can eat 50 bowls of veggies, which probably blows my carb count higher than suggested for fat loss, lower my fat to moderate and have a little protein with each meal and there it was...my body started changing immediately. Who knew - that tiny stupid tweak? Also, at least for me, if my body transforms, I only start noticing in month 3 -nothing at all until at least 3 months have passed from the first day of my latest effort.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast