Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: What does it mean when diet ISN'T the silver bullet? page 2

Graycat is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I see that you've mentioned different tweaks and stuff, but have you tried IF? One thing that works for me whenever I can actually stick to it is early dinner and then nothing else except for water and black coffee till around 2 pm. the next day (or as long as you can stand it w/o food)

heatseeker is offline Senior Member
    I've done IF in various forms, including a long stint (3-4 months) of Leangains. No effect. Right now I fast Saturday mornings because I don't work out Saturdays and usually don't get hungry until the afternoon. I like fasting, and I think it probably has other non-fat-loss benefits, but it does nothing to help me lost fat.

Anytime I try a tweak, I give it at least three weeks before deciding it's not doing anything. I've calorie restricted down to 1000/day and all it Reid was make me feel tired and starving, and my workouts sucked. Body comp remained unchanged.

The only times in my entire life that I've visibly or measurably lost fat was when I was working out hardcore. As I am now. And like I said, I don't mind working out hardcore. I just want to know why food has no effect on things. And when I say food has no effect on things, it goes both ways--based on past experience, I could eat a cheat meal every single day and it'd also have no effect. I don't know what would happen if I gorged on SAD food constantly, though. And let's just say it's doubtful that I'd ever do that experiment.

To those saying "it's hard to lose those last few vanity pounds"--this is not that. I sit between 28 and 30% body fat, and could visibly stand to lose 20 pounds, even 30 if I wanted to be called "lean". And I've never been heavier than this, either. I have literally been at this weight and body comp for a decade with no ability to change it.

Damiana is offline Senior Member
    You've eaten pretty much what you've listed in all your time doing primal? Perhaps try other foods? I had to switch things around a bit, going from high protein/fat to lower fat to see results as I've dropped the weight.
    F 28/5'4/100 lbs

"I'm not a psychopath, I'm a high-functioning sociopath; do your research."

No, that's what I eat right now. I've enjoyed a variety of primal foods over the time I've been Primal. And actually, I've been Primal for about five years, it's just two years ago that I went strict and cut out all grains and most dairy permanently.

I've been lurking on the site and on these boards since 2008. No kidding. Name a tweak/hack/style of Primal, I've done it. I wouldn't have posted that I had come to this conclusion about diet unless I had really, actually, for sure tried everything and come to this conclusion about diet. I promise.

I'm honestly surprised that no one else has experienced this phenomenon, and now I sort of feel like a freak of nature... I figured all kinds of people would crawl out of the woodwork and admit that diet has little to no effect on their body comp, too.

I guess the answer is: it's a mystery, and meanwhile keep exercising like it's going out of style.

Misti is offline Member
    It seems to me, Heatseeker, that your body is plumb happy where it is. It feels no need to fix what ain't broken, so to speak.

Is your body equally stubborn about maintaining the losses you get when when you work out like a madwoman or does it gain back to your "usual" weight?
    Misti
    Grain Free since 2009, WP from 2005
    ~100% primal (because anything less makes me very sick)
    Goal: hike across Sweden with my grandchildren when I retire in a few years

If I stop working out like crazy my weight zooms right back to where it was.

This reminds me of something my wife went through a while back.

While eating a pretty restrictive CW diet and exercising 3-5 times a week, with Yoga thrown in the mix, she had trouble dropping dress sizes in a way she didn't previously.

Then, due to an accident, the only exercise she could do for a while without causing her neck pain was use the stairmaster, which the boy aptly named the staircase machine. She started doing that for up to an hour at a time - often at high settings.

And over a few months, down went the dress sizes!

Prof. Mark talks about a small group of people being in a position where, what would be over-training for others is just right training for them. He even mentioned that thing (obliquely) in today's blog post. Some people just have the sort of makeup which both responds to what would otherwise be excessive training and which, in order to work at peak performance, probably needs that excessive training.

I think you (Heatseeker) might be in that category - particularly if you easily put on muscle as a woman. If you are looking to make composition changes, and the only thing (after your apparently long list of controls!) that seems to work is excessive exercise, then that would seem to be fine in the pursuit of your goals.

In fact, for those who wish they could engage in such volumes of training, perhaps it puts you in an enviable position!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by heatseeker View Post
    Because: the only time I see significant body comp changes is when I work out a LOT. Exercise is the silver bullet for me. If I'm not working out, my body comp will not budge a speck. If I'm working out PBF-style, I see some slight slimming/leaning. If I'm working out like a beast (i.e right now, doing Crossfit 3x/week and a lifting class 2x/week), THAT'S when I see actual changes in body comp. My eating in all these modes is the same (with caloric intake relative to amount of exercise).

So my question is: anyone have any idea why? Why does diet make no difference for me, and the only thing that makes any real difference is lots and LOTS of working out?
    Amen sister, you are echoing my own personal experience. No change. Exercise is the silver bullet, and not a little bit, not body weight exercises or sprinting or any of that. I haven't done cross-fit but what actually works for me is to strap 25lbs on my back and go for a long walk in the wilderness. At least it worked this summer. I got 5lbs off easy on a 5-day walk this summer, and I ate candy for half those days. It has worked in the past, too. But it comes right back. Why does it take SO MUCH exercise? And then what can I do to keep it off?

My question is less about advice on HOW to make it work for me than it is a general call for brainstorming on the topic. Because I'm honestly just really curious as to why diet has no effect on me.
    Yeah, I'd be interested to know the why of it.

Is it that whole endomorph thing?

Is it that people like us should be lifting huge weights? I had a body-builder chick tell me once if she had my body she could win competitions.

Maybe we have an unfortunate combination of male/female hormones.

I have a hard time believing it's a thyroid thing because I don't feel like a thyroid problem lives inside me at all.

I have a hard time believing it's a CICO issue since when I was on a big long 3 month walk, I could not physically carry as much food as I needed to eat. I walked 30 miles a day and had reached a weight that is about the same as I am now, maybe 5lbs less. And nowadays I'm at this strange place where it doesn't matter if I track my calories and get down to 1200 or below or jack them up to 2000 and above. Nothing changes except how much energy I have and how much I feel like expending.

So, is it the whole set-point thing? Are they ever going to find a cure for that? Even as a child I looked as chubby and rounded as I do now. Am I doomed because I was a fat kid?

To those saying "it's hard to lose those last few vanity pounds"--this is not that. I sit between 28 and 30% body fat, and could visibly stand to lose 20 pounds, even 30 if I wanted to be called "lean". And I've never been heavier than this, either. I have literally been at this weight and body comp for a decade with no ability to change it.
    This is my experience, too. Because even though a good 1-3 month walk gets the weight off, I'm still vastly heavier than most other women out there doing as long a walk as me, I am still embarrassed to be seen in a bikini, I'm still probably at least 25% body fat. I don't know if that is your experience, or if cross-fit gets you to look like one of these cross-fit babes, but it's never been my experience to look like any kind of babe. Never in my entire life. Even when I was 17 years old and weighed 110lbs I still looked fat. Big giant rolls of fat on my belly, arms too big to wear blouses with short sleeves that buttoned around the upper arm, legs too big to wear tight jeans or tall boots.

It really bums me out because I really really want someone to say to me, Wow, you look great! What is your secret? And then I want to tell them all about paleo and convert them. But alas, I'm no paleo poster child and it looks like I probably won't ever be one.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

gopintos is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Damiana View Post
    You've eaten pretty much what you've listed in all your time doing primal? Perhaps try other foods? I had to switch things around a bit, going from high protein/fat to lower fat to see results as I've dropped the weight.
    This has been my experience. I lost most of my weight pre-primal w/30-40% dietary fat. Then I went high fat with primal. The higher the fat, the lower the weight loss. Calories were always in a deficit but it seemed to make a difference as to the macro breakdown in regards to fat. Carbs didnt seem to matter and protein has pretty much been consistent. But for me, and I have been tracking for 10 months but I was afraid to jump the fat train, but the fat seems to be making all the difference in my progress, or lack thereof.

This is rough off the top of my head but I had it figured the other day but it went something like this:
    30-40% I lost 10lbs a month
    50-60 - I lost 4-5lbs
    60-70 - I lost 2-3
    over 70, maybe more like 75%, I actually gain but then fasting takes it back off. So I had less than a 2lb loss last month. I finally had to jump the fat train. It just was not taking me anywhere for weight loss.

I read Perfect Health Diet, and he is normally a high fat guy, 65% but for weight loss he said to cut the fat. He also said to eat starches which I have been afraid to eat since trying to stay low carb/high fat. Doing this started my weight loss again, further proving my carb (clean good carbs) intake was never the issue for my weight loss. I might have to eat more often of low cal carbs because I am not satiated for as long as I am with fat, but that's okay for now. And then I have been experimenting even further but bottomline is reducing my fat% made the difference.

And I have a considerable amount to lose, so may not even be talking the same thing.
    65lbs gone and counting!!

Fat 2 Fit - One Woman's Journey

peril is offline Senior Member
    How much protein do you eat each day on average? If you're eating too little while working out your body will hang on to whatever it can
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast