Thread: tummy troubles in the beginning? page

Liral3n is offline Junior Member

tummy troubles in the beginning?

So my doctor recommended this diet for me. I've done a ton of reading, research and gathering of recipes. My grain and sugar and processed food loving husband agreed to a 21 day trial for all of us. I am so excited that he's willing to try. He has intermittent tummy trouble and I was hoping that this would clear those issue up. We are easing into this, not actually started but having primal dinners and his breakfast/lunches are more primal than they have been before. We've had two dinners and both mornings his digestion is off. (euphemism for diarrhea). I don't want this to fail before we really get started, but he's becoming skeptical very quickly. What should I do?
    Liralen

Now my 5 yr old son threw up twice this morning! Am I doing something wrong? He's not sick and ended up eating 2 batches of banana egg pancakes after that.

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Sounds more like something was wrong with the food than anything else. Too much fat can cause indigestion of all sorts until your system adjusts.

What kind of fat are you using? Coconut oil can have both effects (vomiting and diarrhea) for some people if you use too much.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Curing IBS-C with Vitamin C and magnesium citrate.

Fossman is offline Member
    I know before my body was used to that much fat I made the mistake when starting out of drinking an entire can of coconut milk along with my bacon, eggs, and avocado breakfast, so it could be that or as namelesswonder said and that it could be something wrong with the food.

I'm using the fat we have on hand, Olive oil or butter and not draining off the meat fat anymore. My husband has had long term low level digestion issues, so I was worried he would scare off before we really get going. I'm hoping this will help with that. I'm beginning to think that my son was starving and that's why he threw up. He's a total grain/sugar junkie with sensory processing disorder/eating problems. Cutting out all grains has made him hungry all the time; which is great as he's 5 1/2 and only 34 lbs. I haven't been sick at all, so I don't think that the food was bad. I have had headaches and low energy, but I think that's totally normal?

Fossman is offline Member
    Not sure about your husbands issues but I know the headaches and low energy are pretty normal from the "low carb flu" I had similar issues when I first started.

primalmontana is offline Senior Member
    I had some digestion issues in the beginning. At first it was not being regular and then it was too "regular." I think it was a combination of the reduced fiber and increased fat content in my food. I believe it only took a week, maybe two for my digestion to regulate again. Try adding some ant-diarrheal foods like cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, applesauce (unsweetened,) and baked chicken. Maybe decrease Amt. of added fat for awhile.

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Initial switching can cause big tummy flare-ups in the beginning. I overdid it and ended up really exacerbating a peptic ulcer that I am still trying to get under control. Take it gradually, but do realize that for the healing process to happen you tend to go through a bad period first. It is really worth it though.

This is what I did. We fell off the wagon for the weekend, but are got back on full bore. I made a menu that is all cooked veggies and a bit less fat. I also am including the traditional easy to digest foods, like applesauce, cooked carrots, bananas, fish, soups. So far we are all doing well, aside from the fact that my son's brain has convinced him that to be full he needs sugar or bread.

Quote Originally Posted by primalmontana View Post
    I had some digestion issues in the beginning. At first it was not being regular and then it was too "regular." I think it was a combination of the reduced fiber and increased fat content in my food. I believe it only took a week, maybe two for my digestion to regulate again. Try adding some ant-diarrheal foods like cooked carrots, boiled potatoes, applesauce (unsweetened,) and baked chicken. Maybe decrease Amt. of added fat for awhile.

Bosstycoon is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I faced this problem every day in the bathroom for a few weeks. Was just my bodies reaction to going high fat. also I was supplementing alot of oils in at a meal rather than spacing them out or eating good fats. now my levels have tamed out and i dont face this issue anymore
    Started Primal November 20, 2011
    Slipped from Christmas-New Years
    January 2, 2012 until Death= 100% Primal/Paleo

Start Weight-210
    Goal Weight-Skinny with a 6 pack and lean all around

Journal.... http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread44612.html